NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Facundo Roncaglia

He's a 28 yo defender. Plays with the Argentine National Team, Boca Juniors and has been in Serie A for the last few years. Not a huge guy, but a good physical defender that has skills. He is not renewing with Fiorentina and available. He's the kind of guy a MLS team can really build a defense around. He may command too much though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Christopher Jee
Difference between England and Chinese league is the CL.

Very true. The amount of money they get for CL is crazy. A lot of teams are investing in players just because of CL.

Facundo Roncaglia

He's a 28 yo defender. Plays with the Argentine National Team, Boca Juniors and has been in Serie A for the last few years. Not a huge guy, but a good physical defender that has skills. He is not renewing with Fiorentina and available. He's the kind of guy a MLS team can really build a defense around. He may command too much though.
Look further East.

Aziz Mashaan likes NYCFC. Not sure if NYCFC likes Aziz though.

Another midfielder - another international? I'm guessing NYCFC doesn't like Aziz.
There's always next year, besides the argument that an international roster spot is stopping NYCFC from doing anything is ludicrous.

The Galaxy are currently over the amount with the addition of De Jong, there's teams like New England and Chicago that have at least 3 spots available they aren't using. NYCFC could easily trade a draft pick or some allocation money for a roster spot.

Reactions: Kjbert
How come MLS don't really scout talents from Asia and mostly import from Europe and Latin America?

Or is it that Asians don't want to come here?

I think you'll start seeing more and more Asians being imported into the league. Meram had a breakout year with the crew and kobayashi has been pretty consistent in past years.

Kudo to the whitecaps is a big step and can lead to more players from the J-league coming in. I believe a major factor is distance travelled/resources spent to send scouts all over Asia and also distance from home for these players

I think you'll start seeing more and more Asians being imported into the league. Meram had a breakout year with the crew and kobayashi has been pretty consistent in past years.

Kudo to the whitecaps is a big step and can lead to more players from the J-league coming in. I believe a major factor is distance travelled/resources spent to send scouts all over Asia and also distance from home for these players
I also suspect cultural opportunities will play into this. Cities with large Asian populations (e.g., NY, Vancouver, LA, etc.) might have an edge in convincing players to come.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich

Meram is American. Just plays for Iraq bc his parents.

How come MLS don't really scout talents from Asia and mostly import from Europe and Latin America?

Or is it that Asians don't want to come here?
It's probably for the same reason that European Clubs don't do it save for the one/two token players used to bolster fan numbers in the Asian country: with the exception of a few Asian countries (Iran, Japan, South Korea, and Australia now that they've joined the Asian confed) there really isn't a lot of top talent coming out of the region. The teams mentioned are in the 40s-50s of the Fifa rankings, and that's a bit conflated because there has to be a champion coming out of the Asian Federation which gives max pts equivalent to the other federation champions. Not saying there aren't good players to find, but there just isn't a history of development, and the diamonds found are being sucked up by the big clubs. MLS can definitely grab these "diamonds" after they've either run their spell in Europe, or gotten tired of being loaned out from their mother-ship club. That's pretty much what ManU did a few years ago - grabbed the top (it's all relative) Chinese striker and loaned him out immediately - don't think he ever saw the field, but their fan base went up 1Billion with the move. I think the player left 2-3 years later.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It's probably for the same reason that European Clubs don't do it save for the one/two token players used to bolster fan numbers in the Asian country: with the exception of a few Asian countries (Iran, Japan, South Korea, and Australia now that they've joined the Asian confed) there really isn't a lot of top talent coming out of the region. The teams mentioned are in the 40s-50s of the Fifa rankings, and that's a bit conflated because there has to be a champion coming out of the Asian Federation which gives max pts equivalent to the other federation champions. Not saying there aren't good players to find, but there just isn't a history of development, and the diamonds found are being sucked up by the big clubs. MLS can definitely grab these "diamonds" after they've either run their spell in Europe, or gotten tired of being loaned out from their mother-ship club. That's pretty much what ManU did a few years ago - grabbed the top (it's all relative) Chinese striker and loaned him out immediately - don't think he ever saw the field, but their fan base went up 1Billion with the move. I think the player left 2-3 years later.

European clubs scout Asian talents though. And it's not big but there is a steady streaming of Asian talents in to Europe.

Reactions: Kjbert and OSNY87

hey id like some players from jleague/ k league etc....cant be worse than grabavoy

I know its unlikely to happen, but I think it would be worth a shot. Granted his recent injury history is scary, but he supposedly fully fit now or at the very least not as worried about his health as he was. I think he'll still have some very good offers from PL clubs though.

Yeah, I am hopeful that MLS attracts more of the Giovinco types. Young and excellent, but with some blips abroad which make an MLS move enticing. Chicha was an unfortunate miss by MLS (and lucky for him with what he's now doing). Hopefully there will be more to come.