NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

No way? So Vieira was just blow in smoke when he told everyone that his philosophy was going to be getting players in position to succeed as a team, and that could be 3 or 4 at the back? There are a lot of other areas he could have used as an example, by he chose one that is very odd for the league.

Combining everything I heard out of his mouth a couple of weeks ago, I think he definitely wants 4-3-3 long-term. But I think he's going to focus on mentality and purpose, then find his best 11 players and organize them in whatever suits his tactics. If Pirlo needs cover, parking a sweeper CB back there isn't the worst idea, as it frees your attacking talent, letting them have more freedom to leave the Maestro and head upfield. Basically, you end up with a formation that in attack, looks a lot like what Columbus does. We won't attack the same way, but that's what our attacking shape would look like in my mind if we went 3 or 5 (semantics) at the back.

I think this is flawed, because by adding a third CB we are actually pulling one attacking player off the pitch.

If you have three in the back and they're only playing one striker, we are massively overstaffed back there. When facing a 4-3-3, a three man backline is stretched wide and leaves gaping holes. A three man backline pretty much only works optimally against a 2-striker formation.

Four in the back is just so much more flexible. If they play one striker, your fullbacks can bomb forward easily. Against a 4-3-3, we still have the numbers to easily cover. Against a 2-striker formation, the fullbacks take turns bombing forward.

I think NYCFC has become a target for agents and rumor hills to link players to in order to boost salary/transfer negotiations. There are a lot of players that have been linked to us with no actuality of arriving here and also players that should be here that went elsewhere (looking at you Tex).

Reactions: FootyLovin
enino-man-no.gif

I think this is flawed, because by adding a third CB we are actually pulling one attacking player off the pitch.

If you have three in the back and they're only playing one striker, we are massively overstaffed back there. When facing a 4-3-3, a three man backline is stretched wide and leaves gaping holes. A three man backline pretty much only works optimally against a 2-striker formation.

Four in the back is just so much more flexible. If they play one striker, your fullbacks can bomb forward easily. Against a 4-3-3, we still have the numbers to easily cover. Against a 2-striker formation, the fullbacks take turns bombing forward.
I think if you compare this to last year though we only usually had two in the back because everyone else was way upfield. If we have three who stay back we may do much better defensively compared to having four but with two going forward. Might be worth a try.

I think if you compare this to last year though we only usually had two in the back because everyone else was way upfield. If we have three who stay back we may do much better defensively compared to having four but with two going forward. Might be worth a try.

Well, that has to do with discipline and tactical awareness. If Kreis was allowing or encouraging it, that's on him. If the players were vacating their roles, that's on them, and that's why we brought in two new fullbacks.

Well, that has to do with discipline and tactical awareness. If Kreis was allowing or encouraging it, that's on him. If the players were vacating their roles, that's on them, and that's why we brought in two new fullbacks.
Not gonna get any kind of disagreement on any that from me.

Sign John Terry. He would be te 3rd best CB in MLS. you get him in July and the defense becomes incredible. Even at 36. Sign him. And I hate him. He's perfect for the MLS physicality.

Eh...I know that theoretically if does. But not if your deep cover would otherwise be Pirlo and two CBs, with 1 or 2 6/8 types, unsure of when they can go or when they can't. I think effectively speaking, 3 CBs frees that attacking talent.

I thought we were supposed to think long term. Pay Terry millions for him to end up playing less than a year because he's not going to feel like dealing with the heat and travel.

There is no long term. It's win now. Long term is the academy which is 5 years away.

When facing a 4-3-3, a three man backline is stretched wide and leaves gaping holes. A three man backline pretty much only works optimally against a 2-striker formation.
Um. Could you please let Juventus know this. As a Roma fan it would be nice if their 3 man backline stopped working against, well, any formation.