NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

He was walking about 85% of the time every game. He's been useless for his country since day one.

Pirlo walks about 85% too.

You obviously must not have been born by 2004 if that's really how you feel. What an ignorant comment by you

Pirlo walks about 85% too.

You obviously must not have been born by 2004 if that's really how you feel. What an ignorant comment by you
Man, you really like Rooney. I don't like any individual player that much. I think for Wayne Rooney money, you could get damn near anyone over 27/28ish who isn't at Real or Barca and a lock starter.

I'd honest to God rather have Balotelli.

Man, you really like Rooney. I don't like any individual player that much. I think for Wayne Rooney money, you could get damn near anyone over 27/28ish who isn't at Real or Barca and a lock starter.

A young Balotelli under the tutelage of Pirlo and Villa has a massive comeback in New York. Leads NYCFC to championship glory and signs for Barcelona.

I'll take that.

He's not worth 750k a year if he's not a sure fire performer. He does have pace for days.

I would prefer Joe Gyau
I am sorry in any other major sports leagues in the US or top soccer league in Europe 750k is bench warmers pay. In order to compete for talent, MLS' pay needs to be up there one day, hopefully soon. We can't afford framing ourself in small money mindset. Money attracts talent and competition for talent in this country is stiff, no other way around

I am sorry in any other major sports leagues in the US or top soccer league in Europe 750k is bench warmers pay. In order to compete for talent, MLS' pay needs to be up there one day, hopefully soon. We can't afford framing ourself in small money mindset. Money attracts talent and competition for talent in this country is stiff, no other way around

That's apples to oranges. We're not a top league. The soccer talent pool is global and we are not on the level of Europe's top leagues. We're more equal with major nation's second division leagues. So use those salaries to compare anything outside our DPs for a salary perspective. And for US leagues. Think CFL for football, minor leagues for baseball, AHL for hockey. I think MLS is bigger then those North American minor leagues and has much better coverage and operates in larger markets. But financialy we're not there yet. Saying that, $750k (non DP when we have a $3.6mm CAP) for anything but a star player sevearly limits a team's ability to put together a complete roster. Which is also a constraint that other global soccer leagues don't have. But is a nessecary evil to keep the MLS from imploding.

Reactions: Majik and Kjbert
Since he's been mentioned here before:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ustrates-no-time-waste-says-Andrea-Pirlo.html

Pirlo says Balotelli leaves him frustrated because he hasn't lived up to his potential yet and urged him against going to China, he said he should choose his next club carefully.
So here's a thought.... If MB were to come to NYCFC (not that I'm advocating it) in a DeJong style DP contract for next year when Lampard retires - and Pirlo likely stays another year to mentor his emotionally challenged compatriot- then I see Jack moving back to Lampard's CM spot (provided Mix is gone). We still have two dangerous forwards complimented by TMac, and the midfield gets a very talented dribbler/passer with a huge engine. Could be great if Pirlo can keep MB's head screwed on straight..... If he can't, it'd be a disaster....​

Reactions: Kjbert
Tmac would go to lamps spot before Harrison - kid is a natural winger

I agree. Also not necessarily advocating for Balotelli, but this lineup looks nice:

Villa - Balotelli - Harrison
McNamara
Pirlo - Iraola
Mata - Chanot - Brillant - Allen

Ball flows from defenders -> double pivot -> up to the front line, with McNamara trailing the play and poaching like a poor man's Lampard.

I actually don't really like Wayne Rooney. I've challenged you to give me one guy that is realistic that you would prefer that is better. I think at age 30, he is still a fantastic player. If he came to MLS, he would take MLS by storm much like Giovinco has. He's physical and finishes his chances.

You are right that he has played a lot of games. I respect that. But Lionel Messi isn't walking through that door. Wayne Rooney probably isn't either. But to insinuate that Wayne Rooney, Captain of Manchester United, Captain of England, is not a good player wreaks of bias.

Except that Harrison played his entire youth prior to NYCFC in central midfield. He's not pigeon-holed as a winger (yes, that's a derogatory use of the term).
He's definitely not pigeon-holed as a winger, but he's much more effective out there than TMac. TMac cannot take anyone 1v1 like Harrison can. We need that skill out on the wing, as well as his pace.

That's apples to oranges. We're not a top league. The soccer talent pool is global and we are not on the level of Europe's top leagues. We're more equal with major nation's second division leagues. So use those salaries to compare anything outside our DPs for a salary perspective. And for US leagues. Think CFL for football, minor leagues for baseball, AHL for hockey. I think MLS is bigger then those North American minor leagues and has much better coverage and operates in larger markets. But financialy we're not there yet. Saying that, $750k (non DP when we have a $3.6mm CAP) for anything but a star player sevearly limits a team's ability to put together a complete roster. Which is also a constraint that other global soccer leagues don't have. But is a nessecary evil to keep the MLS from imploding.
you totally missed my point. yes the league is not a top league yet. But money comes first, you need the horse to pull the cart. without the big money (initially undeservedly so), the young talent won't choose the sports. ask yourself, if your 10 year old is a gifted youngster, he/she can choose any sports to specialize in, will soccer in US today bring him/her the money and fame compared to other top sports available in the US? the answer is no in most cases. so if we can't get the top young talent to begin with, we are stuck with relying on foreign DPs forever. Money always comes first, where there is money, there are talents. Simple as that, you can't have a static view. Initially the big money is not meant to fairly compensate the current players. Yes the current players will be over compensated, but the goal of the big money is to entice the future stars in the US to choose soccer instead of other sports. Based on that, i say the current cap system is killing the future of US soccer rather than preserving it. it is ridiculous to say too much money is unhealthy. the benefit of some teams overspending outweighs the cost/downside of wealth gaps among clubs.

you totally missed my point. yes the league is not a top league yet. But money comes first, you need the horse to pull the cart. without the big money (initially undeservedly so), the young talent won't choose the sports. ask yourself, if your 10 year old is a gifted youngster, he/she can choose any sports to specialize in, will soccer in US today bring him/her the money and fame compared to other top sports available in the US? the answer is no in most cases. so if we can't get the top young talent to begin with, we are stuck with relying on foreign DPs forever. Money always comes first, where there is money, there are talents. Simple as that, you can't have a static view. Initially the big money is not meant to fairly compensate the current players. Yes the current players will be over compensated, but the goal of the big money is to entice the future stars in the US to choose soccer instead of other sports.

I get it, but if your kid is good enough, they can go play in Europe. If we pour money into player salaries now, it might spark some interest all around, but when the league fails a few years later, it will kill any of that interest and then some. For Soccer to take hold here in the US it's going to have to out compete traditional pastimes like Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey. That interest starts at a young age, and anyone reading this forum is the exception to our generation. Millennials - Team 50. You're not going to grow the sport buy paying tons of money right now, you get the kids hooked so they choose soccer over baseball when they watch tv or ask to go to a game. As the demographics switch, the advertisers and networks pay more for the sport. They have no loyalty to anything but the eyeballs watching. Eventually you catch up and all that revenue that streams to the big 4 sports, some more goes to MLS TV contracts and sponsorships and then they can afford to pay more for players.

Reactions: EganSoccerWords
I get it, but if your kid is good enough, they can go play in Europe. If we pour money into player salaries now, it might spark some interest all around, but when the league fails a few years later, it will kill any of that interest and then some. For Soccer to take hold here in the US it's going to have to out compete traditional pastimes like Baseball, Basketball, Football, and Hockey. That interest starts at a young age, and anyone reading this forum is the exception to our generation. Millennials - Team 50. You're not going to grow the sport buy paying tons of money right now, you get the kids hooked so they choose soccer over baseball when they watch tv or ask to go to a game. As the demographics switch, the advertisers and networks pay more for the sport. They have no loyalty to anything but the eyeballs watching. Eventually you catch up and all that revenue that streams to the big 4 sports, some more goes to MLS TV contracts and sponsorships and then they can afford to pay more for players.
what will take parents get their kids hooked with soccer? you admit we are the exception. So why would a normal parent who did not grow up with soccer want to hook up with a sport the parents don't have interest in or know less about? allure of money and fame of their kidos perheps? you need money to overcome that initial inertia/bias.
am not following your logic, you are saying more money will have higher probability have this league fail? why is that?
And if the solution is good kids can play in Europe, then why are we even having a discussion here, why bother with MLS. We can all go home and hope a relatively small number of soccer crazed family can produce enough soccer talent for the US. It won't work. we need a large base number, a big pyramid footprint of soocer players from young to professionals to be attracted to soccer. This requires big money to trickle down. starting at big clubs and their youth teams and talent development systems. at least a professional player has to be able to support his family. can $100k really support a family in NYC? how much does he get to save after he retires from professional soccer on that income? these are all practical questions a professional-want-to-be has to confront. He may do it for the love of sports, but money has to be enough to make sense. I say the current owners who are unwilling to spend are hijacking and holding the league back, hiding behind this wealth gap argument. if we have totally free market economy in MLS, they will be priced out. Let those who have and are willing to spend own the clubs.

what will take parents get their kids hooked with soccer? you admit we are the exception. So why would a normal parent who did not grow up with soccer want to hook up with a sport the parents don't have interest in or know less about? allure of money and fame of their kidos perheps? you need money to overcome that initial inertia/bias.
am not following your logic, you are saying more money will have higher probability have this league fail? why is that?
And if the solution is good kids can play in Europe, then why are we even having a discussion here, why bother with MLS. We can all go home and hope a relatively small number of soccer crazed family can produce enough soccer talent for the US. It won't work. we need a large base number, a big pyramid footprint of soocer players from young to professionals to be attracted to soccer. This requires big money to trickle down. starting at big clubs and their youth teams and talent development systems. at least a professional player has to be able to support his family. can $100k really support a family in NYC? how much does he get to save after he retires from professional soccer on that income? these are all practical questions a professional-want-to-be has to confront. He may do it for the love of sports, but money has to be enough to make sense. I say the current owners who are unwilling to spend are hijacking and holding the league back, hiding behind this wealth gap argument. if we have totally free market economy in MLS, they will be priced out. Let those who have and are willing to spend own the clubs.

The last part of your argument is the problem. Without the TV & Sponsorship revenue that exists in Europe, the big players would not invest in MLS. It's one thing to have an expensive toy like Man City and maybe lose tens of millions a season to win it all. It's another to spend the same as Man City with no TV or Sponsorship revenue to back it up, thats HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS in the toilet each season. No one is that crazy. And if the US poached all the best stars in the world, we still wouldn't watch it here like American Football. Yes the rights would be worth more in Europe, but with the time difference only afternoon matches here (night matches there) would be marketable.