NYCFC Players Wanted Thread

Regarding Callens, I am in between on him. He is certainly not crap, but he is prone to bad mistakes from time to time. I think he is a solid starter for us, but not all star quality. Between he, Freddie and Maxim, I think we have what we need for starters and depth with a 2-man back line and by adding Ferraresi, we would be good for a 3-man back line.

Regarding Callens, I am in between on him. He is certainly not crap, but he is prone to bad mistakes from time to time. I think he is a solid starter for us, but not all star quality. Between he, Freddie and Maxim, I think we have what we need for starters and depth with a 2-man back line and by adding Ferraresi, we would be good for a 3-man back line.

I’d disageee and say for the player that logged the most minutes for us this season Callens was a stabilizing force for our D.

My only concern is Callens, Chanot, Birlliant and Ferrarasi are all internationals. Having no domestic depth at the position will come back to bite us in the USOC.

I think Chanot is the only elite defender we have, and his salary is eloquent about it. Callens however, is a steal at his salary, and brings a quickness that is lacking in both Chanot and much more in Brillant. Chanot's forte is his distribution, ball skills, vision, and how well he times his tackles to compensate for his lack of speed. Brillant is obviously challenged in the speed department, and his risky moments come when he's 1v1 on open field mostly. Even without much space, quick dribblers like Giovinco can have their way with him. Callens does make silly mistakes at times and is completely one-footed, which sometimes gives him trouble with the first touch, but he is much quicker tha our other CB options and has had a lot of crucial last-gasp tackles and blocks for us this season. I think PV has done well playing him every single minute during the regular season, and I hope he does again next season. He is, along with SJ, the person I am the least concerned about in the whole starting XI.

I’d disageee and say for the player that logged the most minutes for us this season Callens was a stabilizing force for our D.

My only concern is Callens, Chanot, Birlliant and Ferrarasi are all internationals. Having no domestic depth at the position will come back to bite us in the USOC.
We have a 17 year old American who started at CB in the u17 World Cup... I know vieira mentions him more as a defensive mid but he can def grow into a center back at the senior level

All of our wingers, fullbacks (except struna), and GKs count as domestics. Sweat and White can back up CB and still put our best internationals on the USOC roster.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
moogoo may not be right about the defense, but he’s had good comments on other things. He is certainly not a troll and to suggest that is not appropriate. So far, I’ve been happy he’s around.
Ftr, I am glad to have him around, too. I don't think he's a troll.

Some odd opinions, for sure. I have no problem with folks being wrong, so long as they don't have a problem being called out.

I expect the same applies as it relates to me. Ol' moogoo and I are like the only two people who don't hate Rodney. I guess that really annoys the folks who think we have a cartel on opinion holding.

Ftr, I am glad to have him around, too. I don't think he's a troll.

Some odd opinions, for sure. I have no problem with folks being wrong, so long as they don't have a problem being called out.

I expect the same applies as it relates to me. Ol' moogoo and I are like the only two people who don't hate Rodney. I guess that really annoys the folks who think we have a cartel on opinion holding.
I think there are a lot of people who don't hate Rodney. At the very least, a lot of people who don't think it's fair to judge him (or Jack) without a consistent overlapping full back option.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I think there are a lot of people who don't hate Rodney. At the very least, a lot of people who don't think it's fair to judge him (or Jack) without a consistent overlapping full back option.
I think he has a very important skill set, adds great depth, and tactical flexibility to our roster. He can play a bunch of different positions. 220k is a reasonable salary for someone like him even if we sign a DP winger.

NYCFC started its final playoff game without its top 2 CBs (Chanot and Callens) and still was ok. The depth is there, especially if Ferraresi turns out to be a decent project.

People underestimate the effect that Chanot had on this team. He was a MLS top 10 CB (Audi Index - flawed as it is - illustrated this) and Callens got numerous mentions as an overlooked finalist for best MLS defender. They have potential to be a dominant pair next year, potentially best in the league.

Their starting LB was also out almost the whole year (Matarrita). If there is a place to look at the back line, it’s RB. An upgrade there (or maybe Struna if he grows into position) is needed.

If that is your starting back line, you have Ferraresi, Brilliant, Sweat, Sands, White as potential backup/depth. That is pretty darn good.

Brillant is borderline at his salary, but I think I would keep him after his strong showing down the stretch. Ferraresi is just 19, he is not a sure thing by far. Having the veteran depth could be invaluable.
If we go three at the back, could easily see it being Callens Chanot Brillant, with Chanot as the sweeper that has freedom to walk the ball forward. And that’d leave Sweat White and Ferraresi as the backups.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
Brillant is borderline at his salary, but I think I would keep him after his strong showing down the stretch. Ferraresi is just 19, he is not a sure thing by far. Having the veteran depth could be invaluable.

He makes too much money

I just don't know. It's hard for me to lobby to send away a guy who is easily starter caliber for every team except us and SKC.

(eta: to clarify, I think I'm with you. The only way I could see it making sense is if we could turn him into a starting piece elsewhere on the pitch that is an upgrade. Maybe if you could turn him into a Kellyn Rowe - who I still think would kill it playing those first time passes in to Villa - or an actual attacking option to sub/spell Villa - Agudelo maybe? Apparently I want to pick the bones of NER.)

Last edited:
I just don't know. It's hard for me to lobby to send away a guy who is easily starter caliber for every team except us and SKC.

(eta: to clarify, I think I'm with you. The only way I could see it making sense is if we could turn him into a starting piece elsewhere on the pitch that is an upgrade. Maybe if you could turn him into a Kellyn Rowe - who I still think would kill it playing those first time passes in to Villa - or an actual attacking option to sub/spell Villa - Agudelo maybe? Apparently I want to pick the bones of NER.)

Agudelo would be verrrrry interesting as a second forward in a 3-5-2 with Villa as the other starter up top.