Nycfc Sign Diego Martinez

well defender we got i guess, he played in the B, second division but his team won promotion. But he was let go for free from river plate? i dont know how i feel about that
Hmmm... especially since I think the Argentinian top division has 30 teams this year!

Young and a defender is good. Assume he is a fullback based on his height?

Available international spots now down to one.

I don't dislike the signing, in fact I kind of like it. But it seems like we are going with a "throw stuff to the wall and see if it sticks" approach to player acquisition right now. And that approach is usually part of a 2-3 year build.

I wonder if Matarrita is going to be tried at midfield or winger.

Yes, another LB. Him and Matarrita with Brandt 3rd and Wingert an option too.
At this point, I wonder if the team plans to buy out a contract sooner rather than later, and based on the dollar amounts, I'd say Wingert & Hernandez are most likely with Hernandez actually filling a position of need and Wingert more expendable as a redundant cog at LB ????

Reactions: FootyLovin
Well let's just not listen to rumors anymore since the club clearly does things on the hush.
We have to remember that our cap is only so much so we can't constantly just sign experience veterans who are proven. Have to sign youth that has potential and can be developed.

I don't dislike the signing, in fact I kind of like it. But it seems like we are going with a "throw stuff to the wall and see if it sticks" approach to player acquisition right now. And that approach is usually part of a 2-3 year build.

keep in mind matarrita will be called up to costa rica national team so he can be back up for copa america and WCQ

The team is building for a future without the crap assembled last year.

I tbink Matarrita could now see some LM if you consider Reyna's thoughts on the matter.

The other possibility is that since Iraola liked to push forward so much, that he's actually be looked at as a wide attacking player. To be honest, he looked great attacking and getting to the end-line with a cross, but wow would he be lazy getting back on D..... perhaps PV would rather he defend higher as cover for Pirlo, and then put another RB in that will stay home.

Reactions: Schwallacus
The team is building for a future without the crap assembled last year.

I tbink Matarrita could now see some LM if you consider Reyna's thoughts on the matter.

The awkward thing about that is there's no wide midfielder in a 4-3-3. Maybe a 4-2-3-1 again? (EDIT: Matarrita is listed as a forward on the nycfc.com roster page....)

I think it's clear they are just going to assemble the best available players, let Vieira figure out the team identity, and then cull again and reinforce in year 3.

Reactions: Kjbert
Still waiting on DeMechellis to appear. I wonder if they had any depth on the back line at MCFC, if he would already be here.