NYCFC Sign Maxime Chanot

Someone else mentioned the Mendoza slot. Is that speculation? Or has their been any news on him getting released or placed on the DL?

Might have been me, no news that I'm aware of just speculation. The only Mendoza news today was over in the open practice tread a Mendoza sighting was mentioned which undermines this theory a bit.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Might have been me, no news that I'm aware of just speculation. The only Mendoza news today was over in the open practice tread a Mendoza sighting was mentioned which undermines this theory a bit.

he's apparently injured right? Which would explain why he didn't practice

There was a tweet a while ago about his old team in India being interested in him. The Forum ran with it.

Reactions: Kjbert
he's apparently injured right? Which would explain why he didn't practice

Yeah he's injured but there has been rumors that he wasn't even with the team supported by some oddly timed vacation photos. This at least confirms that he's with the club.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Typically no, but he's proven to be very hands-on and has history with do-gooding in Manchester. Look at all of the mega-real state that Chinese and Russians own in NYC and never live in - it just a way to park money. Or the Russian owner of the Nets - how's that team doing? Frankly, I don't trust money from either of those two countries when it comes to owning infrastructure or corporations in the US.
By all accounts (including our Frankie's), Roman Abramovic is bonkers about Chelsea. What makes investment in the US so special?

Sorry, as a person of color these kinds of generalizations make me supremely uncomfortable.

By all accounts (including our Frankie's), Roman Abramovic is bonkers about Chelsea. What makes investment in the US so special?

Sorry, as a person of color these kinds of generalizations make me supremely uncomfortable.
While there are always diamonds in the rough, like RomanA @ Chelsea, my apprehension to investment in the league by Chinese or Russian money isn't meant as a generalization - I have real reservations based on current event examples.

1. Russian oligarch money came from the smash/grab government culture/party members after the fall of the Soviet Union. It's not exactly earned money - rather party insiders and cronies got rich, and since then, the government has had no qualms about re-nationalizing the money & the companies the oligarchs owned if the said oligarchs run afoul of the current government - many times with trumped-up charges and accusations. While US law would ultimately protect the owner of a team, the owner's resources to fund the team may not be there tomorrow. To me that's a scary proposition for the league.
2. My issue with Chinese investment is quid pro quo of their regulations on outside investment in their own country. No foreign firm can work in china without having a partner company there. An example being architecture - no foreign architecture firm can build anything in China, instead they have to partner with a Chinese firm and essentially hand over a majority stake of the intellectual property to the firm in order for it to be built - in essence a government sanctioned shake-down to funnel money to a Chinese company. Without trying to turn this into a geo-political trade answer, the same sort of relationship should have to be enacted here where the Chinese investor has to work through a US company and doesn't have the full ownership.
2a. Further, I don't necessarily trust that the Chinese economy is on solid ground - there are entire spec-cities built with zero inhabitants and the country is teetering on it's own housing bubble. Manufacturing is down. it's not the booming economy of a decade ago. It's been widely reported that the Chinese that have the opportunity to get money out, wind up buying US realestate and parking it here to protect it. Parking money in the US is worrying for a number of reasons, but if there's a need to park it somewhere outside of China, it's an indication that their economy isn't stable.

So yes, there will always be individuals like Alibaba's owner Jack Ma, who is probably insulated from the China's macro economy and government interference and therefore would be a version of RomanA (if Ma actually likes soccer), but how many others are in a position and would be willing to sink money into a foreign sports franchise considering the complexity of moving money outside of China's borders and the reach of the government? Even in the Chinese domestic league, much of the money is being provided by the government to prop up the ridiculous wages offered to foreign players; the same money wouldn't make it's way to help an MLS team.

To me, it seems like the potential of a bad marriage. Perhaps a good owner (like RomanA) would be overlooked and chalked up as a missed opportunity, but there are plenty of mega-rich already here that have the interest and means to bankroll a new team. Who would have ever though Arthur Blank would have wanted to jump into MLS? There are plenty of others like him itching to expand their portfolio of sports teams to cover all of the big sports, or get into MLS as their first. MLS really is the last big frontier for the 0.1% to grab a team (unless they go overseas), and it's becoming the *IT* thing to do.

My apologies again if my initial statement came off as being generalized - it wasn't meant to be.... I just hadn't planned to write such a long, detailed response as my initial post.

While there are always diamonds in the rough, like RomanA @ Chelsea, my apprehension to investment in the league by Chinese or Russian money isn't meant as a generalization - I have real reservations based on current event examples.

1. Russian oligarch money came from the smash/grab government culture/party members after the fall of the Soviet Union. It's not exactly earned money - rather party insiders and cronies got rich, and since then, the government has had no qualms about re-nationalizing the money & the companies the oligarchs owned if the said oligarchs run afoul of the current government - many times with trumped-up charges and accusations. While US law would ultimately protect the owner of a team, the owner's resources to fund the team may not be there tomorrow. To me that's a scary proposition for the league.
2. My issue with Chinese investment is quid pro quo of their regulations on outside investment in their own country. No foreign firm can work in china without having a partner company there. An example being architecture - no foreign architecture firm can build anything in China, instead they have to partner with a Chinese firm and essentially hand over a majority stake of the intellectual property to the firm in order for it to be built - in essence a government sanctioned shake-down to funnel money to a Chinese company. Without trying to turn this into a geo-political trade answer, the same sort of relationship should have to be enacted here where the Chinese investor has to work through a US company and doesn't have the full ownership.
2a. Further, I don't necessarily trust that the Chinese economy is on solid ground - there are entire spec-cities built with zero inhabitants and the country is teetering on it's own housing bubble. Manufacturing is down. it's not the booming economy of a decade ago. It's been widely reported that the Chinese that have the opportunity to get money out, wind up buying US realestate and parking it here to protect it. Parking money in the US is worrying for a number of reasons, but if there's a need to park it somewhere outside of China, it's an indication that their economy isn't stable.

So yes, there will always be individuals like Alibaba's owner Jack Ma, who is probably insulated from the China's macro economy and government interference and therefore would be a version of RomanA (if Ma actually likes soccer), but how many others are in a position and would be willing to sink money into a foreign sports franchise considering the complexity of moving money outside of China's borders and the reach of the government? Even in the Chinese domestic league, much of the money is being provided by the government to prop up the ridiculous wages offered to foreign players; the same money wouldn't make it's way to help an MLS team.

To me, it seems like the potential of a bad marriage. Perhaps a good owner (like RomanA) would be overlooked and chalked up as a missed opportunity, but there are plenty of mega-rich already here that have the interest and means to bankroll a new team. Who would have ever though Arthur Blank would have wanted to jump into MLS? There are plenty of others like him itching to expand their portfolio of sports teams to cover all of the big sports, or get into MLS as their first. MLS really is the last big frontier for the 0.1% to grab a team (unless they go overseas), and it's becoming the *IT* thing to do.

My apologies again if my initial statement came off as being generalized - it wasn't meant to be.... I just hadn't planned to write such a long, detailed response as my initial post.
Thanks for taking the time to unpack that. I feel a little smarter now.

does MLS pay that on behalf of nycfc? just asking with the whole single entity thing
I believe so, with the money being factored into the contract every year.

Example:

I have an annual salary of $10 and NYCFC pays a $5 fee for me and I sign a 5 year deal. I would have a $11 per year contract.

Guess I can finally put it out there. NYCFC paid a transfer fee of €600,000 for Chanot.

So many more questions come from this. Is this the Poku money plus more? Is he on TAM? Is he on GAM? Does this preclude our ability to sign Lampard as a non-DP?

Wow, we threw a ton of TAM at him. I thought he came to New York because his wife got a UN job. I was hoping we got a good deal on him with all the leverage.

He's listed at $380k on the salary release. I believe that number is prorated. So if he is making $760k next year and the transfer fee is prorated over three years, he's really close to the $1 million limit for TAM players and is probably costing our full $800k yearly allotment.

Aside from Mix's money and Lampards spot, our cupboards might be bare this winter.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
Wow, we threw a ton of TAM at him. I thought he came to New York because his wife got a UN job. I was hoping we got a good deal on him with all the leverage.

He's listed at $380k on the salary release. I believe that number is prorated. So if he is making $760k next year and the transfer fee is prorated over three years, he's really close to the $1 million limit for TAM players and is probably costing our full $800k yearly allotment.

Aside from Mix's money and Lampards spot, our cupboards might be bare this winter.

I wouldn't say bare. There is a lot of dead weight in contracts that can come off the books:

Frank - DP
Mix - $761k
Mena? - $231k
Hernandez? - $210k
Mendoza - $207k
Saunders - $150k
Martinez - $135k
Mullins (already gone) - $126k
Tony Taylor - $92k
Medhi- $87k

That's roughly $2mm off the books on a $3.5mm cap. And I only listed 2 starters (Frank & Saunders). And 3 subs with random starts due to injury (mena, Hernandez, Mendoza).

I wouldn't say bare. There is a lot of dead weight in contracts that can come off the books:

Frank - DP
Mix - $761k
Mena? - $231k
Hernandez? - $210k
Mendoza - $207k
Saunders - $150k
Martinez - $135k
Tony Taylor - $92k
Medhi- $87k

That's roughly $2mm off the books on a $3.5mm cap. And I only listed 2 starters (Frank & Saunders). And 3 subs with random starts due to injury (mena, Hernandez, Mendoza).
Keep TT. He's cheap and a great change of pace player

Frank - DP
Mix - $761k
Mena? - $231k
Hernandez? - $210k
Mendoza - $207k
Saunders - $150k
Martinez - $135k
Tony Taylor - $92k
Medhi- $87k

That Martinez number...

Reactions: Konrad and adam