NYCFC Sign Stiven Mendoza

left forward? then depth move for tony taylor.
[gulp] depth move for Harrison? Hope this isn't a precursor to the Presser stating he's had a setback and needs to go under the knife and subsequently on the DL for the year..... [gulp.... Oh FFS.... and yes I'm just letting my mind wander.....]

[gulp] depth move for Harrison? Hope this isn't a precursor to the Presser stating he's had a setback and needs to go under the knife and subsequently on the DL for the year..... [gulp.... Oh FFS.... and yes I'm just letting my mind wander.....]

nooo......stop thinking up thoughts right now.

As I've speculated in the past, it makes so much sense for him to go on the injured list, or be loaned to Wilmington. He's from Wake Forest so it would make sense in terms of not having to relocate too much, it also gives him time to to recover.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
As I've speculated in the past, it makes so much sense for him to go on the injured list, or be loaned to Wilmington. He's from Wake Forest so it would make sense in terms of not having to relocate too much, it also gives him time to to recover.

la la la la i cant hear/ read you......though it starting to make more sense with the whole international spot and all.

Reactions: Ulrich
I think it's a good move to bring in attacking/wing depth. We are trying to play a 4-3-3 with limited depth right now, so anything else we add is great. I can't see many of these guys sitting out for too long - you've got 3 positions to rotate.

Still really confused about the whole int. slot /cap like most of you guys. I wouldn't be surprised if we see something come out saying loaned players no longer count as INT or something. That would clear up Bravo + this guy.

Reactions: S1ARK5 and Kjbert
IF Lampard retires, we're either going to need that international spot for the replacement DP, or our DP has to be American. Can't think of any Americans itching to come back and are worthy of a DP spot (no, Bedoya does not make the cut), so we better hang on to the int. spot to get the most out of it.

Then again, maybe MLS is rewarding us for our win with another Int Spot..... kind of like Blackjack - we won the game (hand) and are paid by the dealer.....
Bobby wood, get him!

to be fair, i saw him play all of 20 min vs mexico, but i like what i saw.

Bobby wood, get him!

to be fair, i saw him play all of 20 min vs mexico, but i like what i saw.
Wood doesn't yet garner DP status on the pay scale, and he'd be an idiot to come to MLS with the success he's having in Germany. He's a kid that will get noticed by the bigger clubs.

Without having ever heard of him, feels like a good way to use a roster spot. At worst we need depth at ST and on the wings, and if he is more than that, all the better.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC and Kjbert
Also looks like he plays a lot of his early games on the wing rather than as an out-and-out striker, at least if the scant YouTube clips I watched are any indication:

It's always hard to tell much from these compilations. He looks quick and tenacious. He seems to love rolling around on the floor after taking contact. I'd be really curious how he handles the physicality of MLS and the less generous officiating.
ehhh highlight reels dont do it for me. I mean who is he playing against? his goals look to be more from awful keepers. he beats a guy off the ball, but what % of those of successful vs unsuccessful? Im sure nemac has a reel just like this one.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Given that we are clearly ok with international loans, it's interesting that we've acquired Bravo and now Mendoza instead of players from the EDS. Where are those "farm team" narrators now?

This was a necessary addition. We have two natural wingers on our roster (Shelton, Taylor) and they both prefer the right side. And we have another that will be groomed for the position as soon as he's healthy (Harrison). That's it. At forward, we have a stud (Villa) and a solid backup (Mullins). Again, that's it. Mendoza should round out the front line well. Whether he's a backup, a rotational guy, or a stud remains to be seen.

Adding another center back is an entirely different issue.

i always wonder if its fans/ agents/ or random blogger that updates that so quickly.

Lol, who else would?

it's interesting that we've acquired Bravo and now Mendoza instead of players from the EDS. Where are those "farm team" narrators now?
I think bringing players up from the South American leagues is a very good idea. They come from intense footballing cultures and rather than seeing MLS as potentially beneath them, like many European players might, they probably look at MLS as an opportunity to shine brightly and be seen by the big boys.