NYCFC Sign Stiven Mendoza

Look, I am from Brazil and a crazy Corinthians supporter, first and only until NYCFC. I am very happy Mendoza is not with Corinthians anymore. Not sure about he being with NYCFC yet. He is SUPER fast and I really think he has some talent, he was with all U-Colombian national teams. Maybe with more focus and playing regularly he can achieve something. Note he is only 23 and played for 6-7 teams!!!! this can only tell you so much as well. And if he was really great Corinthians would not be letting him go for free neither his market will be India.

There is a reason why players like Mendoza are available. Some things just didn't click/workout at their current club. Are these players talented? Of course they are. Do they have a skill set or two that could really benefit us? Of course! But there are still flaws in their game that they have not been able to overcome for whatever reason. Maybe a change of league and team can help, maybe not. For us it is worth the risk to see if we can get anything out of him. For him it is a chance to come to a much better league then the ISL and compete at a high level. He reminds me of a Castillo signing. When FC Dallas signed Castillo and Diaz, I am sure the same things were said about them.

Are we seriously comparing castillo with mendoza?? Lol

Other than both being from colombia thats where the comparison stops.

One is an unknown the other is a top five player in mls.

Reactions: Kjbert
I look at it this way...PV still needs to feel his way around the league and make decisions as the season progresses. He saw speed last week over the top and that is big in MLS. We are going 4-3-3...so add more speed to the our wings. As much as I am wanting CB help, I think they'll get better back there. Sometimes the best defense is a great offense.

i guess we going with the " the best defense is offense" mentality?

Reactions: Kjbert
i guess we going with the " the best defense is offense" mentality?

for now, I can live with that. Over time, we want a complete team. But offense can get you in the playoffs. It worked for Toronto and Columbus last year.

for now, I can live with that. Over time, we want a complete team. But offense can get you in the playoffs. It worked for Toronto and Columbus last year.

interesting everyone on the Big soccer boards or MLS site claims defense gets you in playoffs....i dont know what to think anymore i just want us to win.

Are we seriously comparing castillo with mendoza?? Lol

Other than both being from colombia thats where the comparison stops.

One is an unknown the other is a top five player in mls.
No one is comparing him to Castillo just that at one point Castillo was an unknown as well just like Mendoza.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
There is a reason why players like Mendoza are available. Some things just didn't click/workout at their current club. Are these players talented? Of course they are. Do they have a skill set or two that could really benefit us? Of course! But there are still flaws in their game that they have not been able to overcome for whatever reason. Maybe a change of league and team can help, maybe not. For us it is worth the risk to see if we can get anything out of him. For him it is a chance to come to a much better league then the ISL and compete at a high level. He reminds me of a Castillo signing. When FC Dallas signed Castillo and Diaz, I am sure the same things were said about them.
I see what you're saying, and agree to a point, but I just keep thinking of Calle - who bounced around clubs - and am scared we just took a similar flier.....

The best way to defend a 2 goal lead is to make it 4.
Reminds me of the Jacob Rupert [Yankees owner in the 1920s-30s] quote that a perfect day at Yankee Stadium is "when the Yankees score eight runs in the first inning, and then slowly pull away.'"
Let's have NYCFC score 8 in the first 25 minutes then slowly pull away.

I see what you're saying, and agree to a point, but I just keep thinking of Calle - who bounced around clubs - and am scared we just took a similar flier.....
Oh there is no doubt!!!!! I mean for every Castillo, Diaz, Jao Plata's there are many more Calles and the like. The point is you have to keep trying to get that South American talent.

Thank god Don Garber isn't Donald Trump as we're giving jobs to foreigners rather an Americans.

i rarely check MLS site or Big soccer MLS section....but im sure there is a whole lot of that going on right about now or at least been going on.