NYCFC v Columbus - Postmatch

- I'm pretty convinced that right now my perception of our wingers is directly inversely related to how much they've played. So, Harrison is no 1 because we haven't seen him at all, Khiry is 2 because he only played a bit (and played well) and Taylor and Mendoza are last because they've been exposed in the past two matches. Fortunately, we can dream on Jack being the answer -- at least until he plays! So frustrating that none of them have really stepped up in any consistent way.
This last paragraph is hilarious, accurate, and a little bit depressing all at once.

Even assuming you are right, that's just hindsight. Show me where you posted that 3 months ago. In January these boards were full of praise for Claudio.

But I don't assume you're right. Mata is a big win. Bravo is a big win. Brillant is progressing just fine. Harrison is still to be seen. Any offseason that produces 3-4 good non-DP additions is a pretty darn good offseason. Expecting 100% success is unrealistic.
I am sorry, success can be judged only in hindsight (which is not mutually exclusive to the statement that success can be predicted before hand) Maybe we made progress. But seems incremental only. Given how weak our team were last season, we needed bold, innovative and decisive actions. But it is safe to say that has not happened.

Just for the sake of argument, if this were 2020 and we were here discussing Atlanta in their second season, say, would we all be as hard on the team as we are on ours? It's still early on in only our second season, and while we're not great we're still more or less decent so far, especially given that we have a lot of new players and a new first-year coach. If Mendoza could've gotten a few centering passes through perhaps, or if our defense played back far enough so we didn't get constantly smoked on counters it might have been a very different result.

So yes, there are lots of small errors, but small errors are more easily fixable than huge holes. My point is that we're not doing that bad considering it's early in our second year, and without too much work we can be doing way better. It's not like we're New Jersey in last place, which would be much more worrisome.

Not sure it's time to panic yet. Although feel free if you want to.

Very good post. "Just for the sake of argument, if this were 2020 and we were here discussing Atlanta in their second season, say, would we all be as hard on the team as we are on ours.?"

Trouble with us is that Nyc's flaws, deficiencies and errors are obvious and repetitive. They are 'fixable' and should've already been fixed.
That's the main frustration, for me.

I agree.

Face it ladies and gents, this is what our team is going to be until the time comes when Pirlo and Lampard are off the books.

When that time comes, then perhaps CFG can show me some of that genius I keep hearing about and get us a couple of DP's who don't have to be baby sat on the field, or (and how's this for thinking outside the box?) can actually get on the field.

Never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm Hugely unhappy with the "so called contributions" from Andrea and Frank.
As 2 of my favourite players of this and any other era, they should be game changers and be the difference to our team.
And that's taking into account their age and ailing fitness levels.

I've wondered whether the tactical system hasn't brought the best out of the pair, but I question their application and effort in our cause.

Very good post. "Just for the sake of argument, if this were 2020 and we were here discussing Atlanta in their second season, say, would we all be as hard on the team as we are on ours.?"

Trouble with us is that Nyc's flaws, deficiencies and errors are obvious and repetitive. They are 'fixable' and should've already been fixed.
That's the main frustration, for me.
The other trouble with the hypothetical query is that we don't need to look to Atlanta. We have another expansion team that started the same year as us, the Orlando "they're-definitely-not-our-rivals-no-sirree" City SC. Through 40 games they have 10 more points than us. They still didn't make the playoffs last year, and had a history as a lower league team so the comparison is imperfect. But they are earning an extra 0.25 points per game so far and over a season that's 8.5 points and I'd like to have that, as a start.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The other trouble with the hypothetical query is that we don't need to look to Atlanta. We have another expansion team that started the same year as us, the Orlando "they're-definitely-not-our-rivals-no-sirree" City SC. Through 40 games they have 10 more points than us. They still didn't make the playoffs last year, and had a history as a lower league team so the comparison is imperfect. But they are earning an extra 0.25 points per game so far and over a season that's 8.5 points and I'd like to have that, as a start.
I don't disagree with you at all on this, but it's more like I'm saying we're perhaps a bit hypercritical about our team. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, of course. My point is that we'd never be as critical of some other new team as we might be about ours. I mean, the Mets first few years were awful, so much so that the whole country loved them! But in 1969 the "Miracle Mets" won the World Series, and since the team's inception they've either won or been in the World Series at least once in every decade. I'd be fine with that sort of record for us, even if I'd prefer of course to win every single year.

Reactions: mgarbowski
Jesus-Walking-Dead-GIFs.jpg