NYCFC v Columbus - Postmatch

Falastur

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 20, 2014
Herts, UK
The match that confirms what we already knew - Poku!!! should start every game. The subs completely changed the game - they just changed it far too late.

As for the defence - there simply aren't words. There simply aren't.

Strap yourself in, folks. It could be a long season.

Looks like Voopl hasn't been updated yet, but I'll put the link in here in case it comes up shortly:

[voopl=2016-04-16][/voopl]

Reactions: dannd23
GsJyftV.jpg

Bravo for Pirlo, poku for tmac

Shelton for taylor

I'm starting to go in th team johanssen for starting GK

And maybe change the formation of you don't want those changes to the starting XI

Team just don't want to shoot although today they did more and that first touch for everyone seems off still feels team can't make three passes at times

Reactions: TabascoDiva
That was awful. Our team never shoots, can't string more than two passes together, has little speed, and can't play defense.

Bravo for Pirlo, poku for tmac

Shelton for taylor

I'm starting to go in th team johanssen for starting GK

And maybe change the formation of you don't want those changes to the starting XI

Team just don't want to shoot although today they did more and that first touch for everyone seems off still feels team can't make three passes at times
Taylor was fine. It was Mendoza that was horrendous.

Reactions: roxfontaine
Saunders has regressed to the mean. Not getting a GK was biggest miss by Reyna and could have been done easily. He was not good last year, he is horrible this year
I cannot even count how many mistakes Saunders made

Reactions: adam
Ugh.

Columbus can't be too happy either. The score probably should have been 7-4 Columbus.

We need to change our formation.

Reactions: Goodfella
Things we can do to mitigate our mistakes for our next match:
1: Bring back the Bravo-Pirlo partnership, that has been one of the highlights of our previous games, allows Pirlo more freedom and gives us less liability in defence. Basically stabilized the Midfield.
2: PLAY POKU. either as the CAM is a 4-3-3 or paired up with Mix in a 3-4-3. Poku has a tendency to stay near the play so he can usually be a close option for Pirlo (which Tommy and Mix rarely are) then turn and charge up the field. This gives Pirlo more options than trying to hoof it upfield for the front 5 to try and win or passing back to the defence.
3: Keep at least 1 fullback at home at all times, if Matta/Iraola wants to go charging up the field to be a midfielder, cover for him along with the central defender(s). Let the wingers provide width for a cross-field switch. And really stress that the fullbacks need to be SPRINTING back to position once the play is getting turned over, Matta's, and all of the defence's jogging cost us the game today. Maybe Martinez could use another look at LB
4: Don't start Mendoza, probably don't play Mendoza right now, he broke down most of our late game attacks, and Shelton looked good, gave Villa a great through ball that could have tied the game. (Also: Harrison can't heal fast enough)
4: Starts playing around with the lineup. For the next game, I want to see
Taylor-Villa-Shelton
Poku-Mix
Pirlo-Bravo
Martínez-Hernandez-Iraola
Johansen
Subs:
Defensive:
-Lopez for Pirlo
-Matta for Taylor/Shelton
-Brillant/White (if healthy) for Mix/Poku and switch to 4-3-3
Offensive:
-Mullins for Shelton/Taylor and move to center with Villa on the left wing
-Tommy for Mix/Poku
-Mendoza for late bursts of Speed

Insanity is defined as doing the same thing and expecting a different result...

and this is one of the questions that wass brought up....its this guys first year as a coach of a first division so we are also an experiment for him and see how he handles pressure like he is now.

this is a whole other story to managing the youth teams

Reactions: TabascoDiva
Saunders needs to pick up his pink slip.
Mattarita is either a defender or an attacker. He can't be both. Poku added a lot of energy but I think he's a better super sub than a starter. I think Viera is starting to realize how he can get the best out of the squad. I sincerely fucking hope so.

Mendoza is so wasteful. Again. He is a must sit.

We can't have Iraola and Mata playing wingbacks with our personnel. It is so exploitable as we saw tonight. They should have had 5 or 6 goals as a result.

I'm afraid that Tommy Mac needs to sit and Bravo needs to play for his snarl and cover. Not that Tommy deserves to sit but almost any formation we play requires it.

We. Need. Consistency. In the lineup, in the play, in our tactics. We need to do the same thing over and over again. That starts with 1. Not plying Mendoza. 2. Starting Poku for TMac. 3. Starting Taylor and Shelton. 4. Starting Bravo next to Pirlo, every game. 5. Playing with intensity. 6. Crisp passing.

It's night and day the speed at which Poku's passes are played compared to everyone elses. He gets the ball moving -- and has the vision to play it quickly to the right player -- which is absolutely the most important part of playing attacking soccer. Shelton ran through Columbus very well and was a big difference maker. If we're going to play our best when we're pressing and pushing the ball, we should be doing that for 90 minutes, every game, with guys who are comfortable doing it. Possession is fine, but playing the ball back so often just destroys momentum and eventually gets your players stagnant. We need to get up and down; it's simply what we've seen as the most effect way to win a game.

We. Need. Consistency. In the lineup, in the play, in our tactics. We need to do the same thing over and over again. That starts with 1. Not plying Mendoza. 2. Starting Poku for TMac. 3. Starting Taylor and Shelton. 4. Starting Bravo next to Pirlo, every game. 5. Playing with intensity. 6. Crisp passing.

It's night and day the speed at which Poku's passes are played compared to everyone elses. He gets the ball moving -- and has the vision to play it quickly to the right player -- which is absolutely the most important part of playing attacking soccer. Shelton ran through Columbus very well and was a big difference maker. If we're going to play our best when we're pressing and pushing the ball, we should be doing that for 90 minutes, every game, with guys who are comfortable doing it. Possession is fine, but playing the ball back so often just destroys momentum and eventually gets your players stagnant. We need to get up and down; it's simply what we've seen as the most effect way to win a game.

The problem with your formation is that we have to either play 3 at the back or bench Mix.