Official 2016 Nycfc Roster Discussion Thread

What is the mother ship doing with Barker this year? Or is it too early to tell because of Pep?

Too early to tell. He's been in training with the first team so far (bearing in mind they only started training a week ago) but then that's saying nothing as there are only about 8-10 first teamers available at the moment since the Euros/Copa America etc has torn a huge hole through the squad, and supposedly something like 20 academy players have been training with the first team because of it. He will certainly go on the China pre-season tour, again partly due to lack of numbers but also because he's one of the bigger talents available who Pep will want to run the rule over and he's already been on first-team tours before.

Personally I don't think he'll be called up to the first team this season, except outside of perhaps the occasional cup game if he stays around, but more likely I think he's in line for a Championship loan or perhaps a season in the Eredivisie or somesuch, but it's hard to tell with little information coming out so far.

Reactions: Kjbert
http://nypost.com/2016/07/19/jack-harrisons-moms-gamble-created-phenom-whos-storming-nycfc/

Harrison a "couple of months" away from a green card. So one more international spot for us come the January transfer window.
Once he has his Green Card, he's staying in MLS until he gets his citizenship (5 more years?). To leave for another league would torpedo the process, which when you think about it is incredibly long & only worth commencing once. The only way he does leave early is if he accepts an English NT call-up and then the US Citizenship process is moot. However by sticking it out, at 24/25, with both an English & US Passport, he'll be in his prime and can then sign for a big European team and achieve whatever professional success he's looking for, so shunning a big move in the next 1-4 years cannot be viewed as a mistake. Plus, he could very easily be the captain of the team after 4+ years.

Once he has his Green Card, he's staying in MLS until he gets his citizenship (5 more years?). To leave for another league would torpedo the process, which when you think about it is incredibly long & only worth commencing once. The only way he does leave early is if he accepts an English NT call-up and then the US Citizenship process is moot. However by sticking it out, at 24/25, with both an English & US Passport, he'll be in his prime and can then sign for a big European team and achieve whatever professional success he's looking for, so shunning a big move in the next 1-4 years cannot be viewed as a mistake. Plus, he could very easily be the captain of the team after 4+ years.

I like that. And he'd still make tons of money signing as a youth DP, and saving us cap space in the process.

Too early to tell. He's been in training with the first team so far (bearing in mind they only started training a week ago) but then that's saying nothing as there are only about 8-10 first teamers available at the moment since the Euros/Copa America etc has torn a huge hole through the squad, and supposedly something like 20 academy players have been training with the first team because of it.

Even Angelino is training with the first team now. It's kinda funny, because if you asked me now to choose between 69 and Mata, it's Mata by a landslide.

That's some pre-Brexit logic there. :(

Even Angelino is training with the first team now. It's kinda funny, because if you asked me now to choose between 69 and Mata, it's Mata by a landslide.

I guess it's worth pointing out that MCFC have changed how their youth set-up works this season. From now on, all of their youth/academy teams have to play in the competition a level above them - so the U-18s play in the U-21 competition, the U-17s play U-18, U-16s play U-17 etc. This means that the club will not offer any youth football to players over the age of 18. Those players will have to either force their way into the first team quickly or be loaned out, so I guess it's not impossible that some may come to NYC.

I guess it's worth pointing out that MCFC have changed how their youth set-up works this season. From now on, all of their youth/academy teams have to play in the competition a level above them - so the U-18s play in the U-21 competition, the U-17s play U-18, U-16s play U-17 etc. This means that the club will not offer any youth football to players over the age of 18. Those players will have to either force their way into the first team quickly or be loaned out, so I guess it's not impossible that some may come to NYC.

Fascinating. What do you think about that? No secret that I am an Everton supporter. We would have nowhere for guys like Holgate, Galloway, Browning, Leandro Rodriguez. All guys we expect to be major contributors in the next two seasons.

I guess their thinking is more continental in that the U-21 Prem in England is holding players back. Barca B for instance plays in the Spanish pyramid against men. Lots of complaints from my understanding in England about kids needing to play in League One or the Championship to better withstand the physical nature of English football.

Here's the squad Pep is bringing to China:

upload_2016-7-20_15-11-0.png

http://www.sport24.co.za/Soccer/EnglishPremiership/pep-names-man-city-touring-squad-20160720

Barker's Dad must be shitting himself!

Lampard retires, T-Mac to CM, Barker to LW is my current fantasy.

Fascinating. What do you think about that? No secret that I am an Everton supporter. We would have nowhere for guys like Holgate, Galloway, Browning, Leandro Rodriguez. All guys we expect to be major contributors in the next two seasons.

I guess their thinking is more continental in that the U-21 Prem in England is holding players back. Barca B for instance plays in the Spanish pyramid against men. Lots of complaints from my understanding in England about kids needing to play in League One or the Championship to better withstand the physical nature of English football.

Don't want to get too much into hyperbolising about this topic in a NYCFC-focused thread but it will be good for the players' development. The only thing I worry about is the U-18s playing at U-21 level - especially as the FA has, yet again, reorganised the top level of youth football to make the U-21 category a U-23, plus teams are allowed an overage goalkeeper and up to 3 overage outfield players, to compensate teams for the removal of reserve football (there's currently nowhere to blood returning injured players at all). I worry that the 16 and 17-year olds will simply be outmuscled and outfought and, while learning absolute bucketloads, will end up finishing towards the bottom and getting relegated to a lower level of youth play. If that happens, I doubt the year of strong development will be worth the year of dross games they have to endure to get back up.

There's bound to be a far greater number of players going out on loan at the end of the pre-season tour than we ever saw before, but it does also give me encouragement that more players will be blooded into the first team, and not in a "sat on the bench 10 times, brought on in the 90th minute once" kind of way.

Lampard retires, T-Mac to CM, Barker to LW is my current fantasy.

Haha. I'd like to see Barker be brought over - although it's worth saying that he was being spoken of as the golden boy of the academy 12 months ago, but he's slightly slipped from that perch since as others have overtaken him.

When do the contracts end for Lampard, Villa and Pirlo?

(Apologies if this question is in the wrong spot, first time Virgin poster....)

Reactions: FootyLovin

No official word on any of those players, the league never releases info on contracts.

Well since your a virgin, I'll be gentle.

The MLS doesn't release contract info when it comes to term. But it's widely believed that Lampard's contract ends at the end of this season. It is rumored Pirlo has another year left as an option (but unclear if it's a player or team option). I don't think villa's term was ever released but I'm guessing it ends this year like Lampard's with him hopefully extending another year or two with us.

If you want we can go out for breakfast in the morning. But if you get too clingy this won't last long.