Official: Pirlo Signs With Nycfc... Soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the translation of the important bit:

Yet reports in the States say that signing with the New York City FC is next.

"Everyone knows that New York is ahead, but I'm here to put Australia ahead as consideration. What gives me hope is that it was in Australia with Juventus in 2014 and has already seen the nation. It could consider the option , the nation if he wishes. "

NY is ahead... That's from Pirlo's agent. Could be smoke just to get others moving, or could be real.

That quote isn't from Pirlo's agent, it's from Lou Sticca, an intermediary in the deal which saw Del Piero move to Australia. He's currently in Italy trying to woo Pirlo.

Reactions: Kjbert
Welcome to transfer season. I wouldn't seriously take any articles coming in until the club themselves make an announcement. The only thing that makes me slightly optimistic is the fact that MLS.com was running with a story a few days ago. I don't know what their track record is with things like that but there must be SOMETHING going on if they mentioned it.

Seriously though, don't take much "news" seriously. It's mostly clickbait.

Reactions: roxfontaine
It seems to me that Pirlo is a very real possibility in joining us.

By signing him it will allow Lampard to take up a more attacking role with probably Mix playing a bit deeper.

I would also like to see us sign a genuine wide player with pace. This would give us more options going forward and allow us to stretch the opposition defence that will allow Pirlo the space to control the tempo of the game.

His ability to hit the long pass will have the opposition defences playing a lot deeper, and that opens up the space to hit the short pass and control possession.

Personally I believe it would be a game changing signing.

I think that Shelton could be that guy. I've always thought he could be a r/l wing or r/l mid. Speed down the lines, draw the D in and center. That's all he needs to do and he can create a ton of problems for our opponents. Maybe he can be a R/L forward in the future...but he's not a CF or striker.

Reactions: Paul and Gavin23
I think that Shelton could be that guy. I've always thought he could be a r/l wing or r/l mid. Speed down the lines, draw the D in and center. That's all he needs to do and he can create a ton of problems for our opponents. Maybe he can be a R/L forward in the future...but he's not a CF or striker.
This.

IF we have someone who can deliver the ball into space. This is why I'm not crazy about the idea of Gomez. Maybe Mix can be that great distributor. But I think he will do better for us getting more advanced. But Pirlo being able to place a pass to any of the following streaking forward: Mix Lampard Villa Shelton Mullins. Holy crap that would be amazing to watch.

Reactions: Gavin23
I don't think Shelton has the passing skills or vision to be a Mid.

There's plenty of speedsters that lack in the passing department that play left or right mid. I would never put him in the center, he doesn't have the skill set for that and until his shooting improves, he's not a true forward either.

Last edited:
Why can't he play CF?

Maybe in the future, but for me, his best asset is his speed and that goes on the outside. He isn't creative enough or has the instinct to be a CF yet, if ever. That's just my opinion on him. It's not a knock on him either.

There are a few good tidbits in THIS article from Aussie media outlet, SBS.

Sydney FC coach Graham Arnold has doused speculation the Sky Blues are out to tempt Italian great Andrea Pirlo to the A-League, insisting he is in the market for an international marquee attacker rather than a midfielder.

Sticca, the man responsible for luring Del Piero to Sydney, told The World Game: "The A-League needs a player of Pirlo's stature. He could help land the new TV deal that everybody is dreaming of."

Speaking withTutto Mercato Web, Sticca added: “My project in Italy is clear: if Andrea decides to leave Italy for other markets and leagues only then will I move in this case.

“I’m here to plant the seed to get him to go to Australia. I have some interested clubs who have given the mandates, but I clearly don’t want to name them.

Sticca acknowledged that Major League Soccer would be strong favourite to snare Pirlo, should he move on, with Frank Lampard's New York City FC thought to have already made overtures.

"I know well that New York is a huge attraction plus he owns a house there. However if it's time for him to seek new adventures I feel it my duty to plant Australia there for his consideration," he added.

"I have sought formal permssion from Juve to talk to Andrea's agent. One thing in Australia's favour was that Andrea was in Sydney with the Juventus team for pre-season and maybe that will work in our favour."

Also, there is THIS from SkySports, which quotes it's local Italian affiliate.

Juventus playmaker Andrea Pirlo is on his way to MLS Side New York City, according to Sky Italia.

“We believe Andrea Pirlo is about to sign with New York City FC, it is really just a matter of days,” said Sky Italia’s Valentina Fass.​

my emotions
0972580dec77fa232f1a5af34c6b9d3f.400x300x11.gif

Pirlo owns a house in NYC?! Thats a good thing.
Still Ian was very sure of himself when he said not happening.

He was very sure of himself. But I remember watching it and noticed he had this smirk when saying Pirlo isn't coming. I thought it meant that he knew who the 3rd DP was...but maybe he was saying that and knew Pirlo was coming in the back of his mind. Or MAYBE he knows nothing lol.

He was sure of himself. But I remember watching it and noticed he had this smirk when saying Pirlo isn't coming. I thought it meant that he knew who the 3rd DP
He seemed sure that Pirlo isn't coming but there are a few reliable sources saying the opposite. Something has to give.

Reactions: Kjbert and Drainyoo
He was sure of himself. But I remember watching it and noticed he had this smirk when saying Pirlo isn't coming. I thought it meant that he knew who the 3rd DP

My optimistic take is Joy knows someone else we are going after, and assumes that's our third DP, but we are actually using allocation money to pay that player down. And Pirlo is the actual third DP.

Which would be amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.