Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Xavi is good enough to play in any league in Europe. However, I agree that a midfield including Mix, Lampard and Xavi wouldn't have the legs to be fully effective.
Yeah I agree. That's what I was saying. He's ofcourse good enough to play anywhere but he needs the right players to accommodate him. Players we don't have.

I have no clue how he would fit into the team, or how good he is anymore; I haven't seen anything other than the odd YouTube clip in a while. But I wouldnt be able to control my excitement if Ronaldinho decided to come to NYC. In fact, I'd like it if he came to the MLS, even if it's for a different team, so I could see him play. He'd be good for atleast 5 goals a season on free kicks, even if he just walks around the rest of the match.

When I was younger I would watch YouTube videos of him and then go outside and try the tricks myself. Still can't do any of them, but watching him really got me into soccer.
Actually a great idea! He'd add some creative, some passion, some idea to our game (if he's not as bad now as some of you say above of course). Moreover, he's a star and, at the same time, I bet he'd sign a non-dp contract

P.S. And, of ocurse, signing Xavi as a DP is absolutely ridicolous and foolish. We already have Lampard and very good central midfield, why dafuq would we need one more player there, who is, moreover, an old one and a DP???

Last edited:
I know formation is important, but talent trumps any formation.

If Kreis ran out these guys in a 6-2-2 they would beat 11 of us playing a 4-4-2 Diamond. It might not be optimal, but Xavi can still play.

You just make it work. Play a 4-2-3-1. Let Xavi and a DM play deep. Put Mix in the 10. Play Frank out right and Villa out left with Shelton up top.

I don't know very well the roster but is 4231 the only way to play with these players?

EDIT: I wrote it because I read more than a post about this formation

Last edited:
Actually a great idea! He'd add some creative, some passion, some idea to our game (if he's not as bad now as some of you say above of course). Moreover, he's a star and, at the same time, I bet he'd sign a non-dp contract
?

Pretty sure Ronaldinho is more interested in taking part in a DP than being a DP.

I don't know very well the roster but is 4231 the only way to play with these players?

EDIT: I wrote it because I read more than a post about this formation

Personally, I think this team right now is suited to play a 4-2-3-1. Mix can track back, can play deep. Let Villa play out wide and put another offensive player behind Shelton/Nemec/Mullins. I think Shelton has shown that he deserves to start up top. He can hold up play. Maybe Nemec could also. I don't know who plays out wide Right. But I would go with a 4-2-3-1 right now.

Personally, I think this team right now is suited to play a 4-2-3-1. Mix can track back, can play deep. Let Villa play out wide and put another offensive player behind Shelton/Nemec/Mullins. I think Shelton has shown that he deserves to start up top. He can hold up play. Maybe Nemec could also. I don't know who plays out wide Right. But I would go with a 4-2-3-1 right now.
Thats because it takes the work of 2 deep midfielders to the job on one excellent D-mid. Its too bad.

Thats because it takes the work of 2 deep midfielders to the job on one excellent D-mid. Its too bad.

We agree. But if we had a destroyer (Beckerman, Edu, Alonso), I would play a super aggressive 4-1-3-2. Push 5 guys forward and the fullbacks. Play more of a triangle in the back middle. I also think our GK is weak and we need cover there. Not happy about that right now.

I'm surprised that Kreis didn't build more from the back. I still think MC is interfering with this club's roster.

PS I write this post as my MC-loving son watches on! :)

Reactions: Kjbert
It's just impossible as an expansion team with the player acquisition methods available, to build a team with great players at every position. I like the way we are trying to do it. Get a top offense, patchwork the defense, and try to win 4-3.

Also, I think Facey is going to be huge for us.

I'm surprised that Kreis didn't build more from the back. I still think MC is interfering with this club's roster.

PS I write this post as my MC-loving son watches on! :)

Does make you wonder doesn't it? Kreis strikes me as the type of coach who loves balance on his team. I hate to say it but our defense is going to struggle something mightly this year if we don't get a stronger center back.

Does make you wonder doesn't it? Kreis strikes me as the type of coach who loves balance on his team. I hate to say it but our defense is going to struggle something mightly this year if we don't get a stronger center back.
I think we're overreacting just a bit. The back line needs more time together to build chemistry and communicate better. I think what hurts us the most is that our fullbacks are attack minded players, they have to do better when they track back in defense. If our midfield plays to their potential it will mask some of our defensive deficiencies.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I think Kreis looks at this as a long term project. He build a team that could sustain success in RSL with limited resources.

I'm sure he's thrilled to have guys like Mix, Villa and Lampard. Those are guys he would never get at RSL. But those are flashy acquisitions that don't win titles. I'm sure he looks at this as a 3 year MLS Cup goal. I would imagine the growth in cohesion and effectiveness will be extremely visible between Years 1 and 2.

Reactions: D_RoyJenkins
I'd like to see all the starters play a match together before judging too much. We've seen some glimpses of great play when certain combinations of players match up, but but not yet what the consensus here feels is our starting 11, and not for even 45 minutes. We might have much more then we realize at the very moment (even without fatso DPing cookie burgers yet) when the whole gang is on the pitch. We'll find out for real in 8 days.

I think we're overreacting just a bit. The back line needs more time together to build chemistry and communicate better. I think what hurts us the most is that our fullbacks are attack minded players, they have to do better when they track back in defense. If our midfield plays to their potential it will mask some of our defensive deficiencies.

Maybe just a bit overreacting. However, the defense is questionable. Relying on shay facey who was playing developmental soccer not too long ago, is concerning- despite the talent he has shown. Hopefully Mendoza or Hernandez steps up. And I guarantee you other coaches who go against us are gonna tell their team to attack and test out our defense. Lets just hope our defense are up to the task.

Reactions: Kjbert
It's just impossible as an expansion team with the player acquisition methods available, to build a team with great players at every position. I like the way we are trying to do it. Get a top offense, patchwork the defense, and try to win 4-3.

Also, I think Facey is going to be huge for us.
While I can agree with this closing statement, the fact is he is only here for 6 months. So come August he will be gone. NYCFC can't rely on him too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.