Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So there are a few schools of thought on the Xavi trade rumors. I think it comes down to whether Frank is a full time player for us.

Scenario 1: Frank turns out to be a part time player/sub. Do you like Xavi under these circumstances?

Scenario 2: Frank is playing full time. Do you like the Xavi move now?

Do you think Xavi will play full time if he comes, or will we have 2 guys playing the same role?

I'm a huge proponent of a youth movement for MLS, but I could get excited about Xavi coming, even with FFL in the fold. He's past his prime in Europe, but immediatley (likely) becomes a top 20 MLS player, as does FFL. He would be a huge draw, another great mentor for the kids, and JK could certainly find a way to figure Xavi and FFL into the mix (yes with Mix) and have one of the best midfields, if not the best in the league. And it would make Villa very happy and comfortable. There would have to be adjustments due to speed and legs, but it would be a good problem to have, especially if we get another DP we could use for a good, young DM/defender type. I won't be upset at all if it doesn't happen, and am not clamoring for it, but I would welcome it.

Reactions: Kjbert
anyone bashing this move is crazy... could you find a better, younger option? possibly but i am sure theyve done their due diligence... a big key here is Xavi is another professional who will be great in creating a culture for this squad and will play right into our desired style of possession football... We will arguably play the most attractive brand in the entire league in our first year of existence... im excited... when FL and Xavi retire i have no doubts theyll be replaced by more big money signings... the commitment is there - let's just hope some of these cheaper owners budge on CBA talks and we get to enjoy our squad come Sunday.

anyone bashing this move is crazy... could you find a better, younger option? possibly but i am sure theyve done their due diligence... a big key here is Xavi is another professional who will be great in creating a culture for this squad and will play right into our desired style of possession football... We will arguably play the most attractive brand in the entire league in our first year of existence... im excited... when FL and Xavi retire i have no doubts theyll be replaced by more big money signings... the commitment is there - let's just hope some of these cheaper owners budge on CBA talks and we get to enjoy our squad come Sunday.
The problem people have with Xavi has nothing to do with him or his age directly, I don't think. It has to do with the fact that a midfield containing Xavi, Frank Lampard, and Mix might play the prettiest game in the league but as soon as they come up against a team that packs the midfield with young, athletic players they are going to get run over.
IMO when we play a good team Kreis will have to drop one of them, which probably won't happen, or our weak defense is going to get absolutely no protection when teams sit back and counter us.
It's weird to say that I don't want Xavi, because ofcourse id like it if he played for us. But if I had to pick, with the options we already have, a younger more mobile midfielder would be better.

The problem people have with Xavi has nothing to do with him or his age directly, I don't think. It has to do with the fact that a midfield containing Xavi, Frank Lampard, and Mix might play the prettiest game in the league but as soon as they come up against a team that packs the midfield with young, athletic players they are going to get run over.
IMO when we play a good team Kreis will have to drop one of them, which probably won't happen, or our weak defense is going to get absolutely no protection when teams sit back and counter us.
It's weird to say that I don't want Xavi, because ofcourse id like it if he played for us. But if I had to pick, with the options we already have, a younger more mobile midfielder would be better.

i get this sentiment.. i respectfully disagree though.. i can see a number of tactical ways JK arranges the midfield in such a match where there can be coverage from say a Mix / Poku pairing ... and Xavi / FL anticipation IMO would be the best in MLS where they make up for speed/athleticism with positioning, etc. We shall see though. I just feel comfortable having JK as coach to figure it out rather than many other managers in the league

Reactions: Kubah and Kjbert
The people that are blasting this move are short sighted. This isn't about creating an MLS Champion in day one. It's about dropping their cock on the table and saying to the rest of the league - we are here to make a statement and we will continue to blow everyone out of the water with the amount of resources we can provide to create a winner in New York City.

Brede Hangeland will be out of contract in the summer. He is a citizen here as well. Could be a non-dp.

The people that are blasting this move are short sighted. This isn't about creating an MLS Champion in day one. It's about dropping their cock on the table and saying to the rest of the league - we are here to make a statement and we will continue to blow everyone out of the water with the amount of resources we can provide to create a winner in New York City.

I agree with the things u say like 90 percent of the time, but idk man. I think we can make a statement with getting a DP in another position instead, even forward. Our midfield has the most depth, it would just seem weird to put a DP in a position where you are already the strongest.

But if I put myself in someones shoes from a marketing perspective, i guess I could kinda why. Having players everyone knows about on ur team would draw and audience and potentially more fans. But i think it could all blow up if we loose a lot. new york fan bases don't like loosing organizations…..unless you are a jets fan. jk jk..kinda

Again, it's about making a splash. Casual soccer fans know who Xavi, Villa and Lampard are. They know who Mix Diskerud is.

Would a guy like Osvaldo Alonso be a better fit? Hell yes. But guess what, no one outside of a crazed MLS fan knows who that is. And that's the point.

I agree with the things u say like 90 percent of the time, but idk man. I think we can make a statement with getting a DP in another position instead, even forward. Our midfield has the most depth, it would just seem weird to put a DP in a position where you are already the strongest.

But if I put myself in someones shoes from a marketing perspective, i guess I could kinda why. Having players everyone knows about on ur team would draw and audience and potentially more fans. But i think it could all blow up if we loose a lot. new york fan bases don't like loosing organizations…..unless you are a jets fan. jk jk..kinda

If you have star power in New York, the city doesn't care all that much if you win or lose. Look at the Knicks. Basketball wise, they should not have re-signed Carmelo Anthony. But business wise, they had to.

Star power over winning or losing is a pretty bad mentality to have and hopefully one CFG doesn't follow.

I agree. But right now, they need to continue momentum. There's no guarantee we can win this year. I don't think this team can win. Too much too soon and there will be a major disruption this summer with Lampard and maybe Xavi

The way you can guarantee momentum is by bringing in a guy like Xavi. Win or lose, that's a story. And people will flock to see him more than they flock to see Villa.

IF we do go for xavi, the only formation that would make sense is a 4-3-3 with xavi pushed up and Lampard and Mix serving box to box.

---Villa---------Nemec-------------Shelton(Or Calle when he is in form)
------------------Xavi--------------------
------Lampard-------------Mix---------------

IF we do go for xavi, the only formation that would make sense is a 4-3-3 with xavi pushed up and Lampard and Mix serving box to box.

The response to adding another midfielder lacking a defensive workrate is to play an extra attacker? I disagree completely.

We need to make sure we have plenty of coverage for our weak back line. Somehow. That likely means pulling back a striker to establish a 5-man midfield, not go from 4 to 3.

We need to play wingers that aren't pure attackers. If your top 5 midfielders are Lampard, Xavi, Mix, Grabavoy, and Calle (my top five), that means Mix and Grabavoy will need to both be in the middle and have a mind for defense. One of Lampard or Xavi will have to be on the wing opposite Calle. The other can either play a deep lying playmaker role or a center attacking midfield role.

If you'd rather have a second striker on the field than Calle, you're going to have to play a 4-3-1-2 or something, and that just seems too counter attacking for Kreis.

If that's the formation selection, kiss the playoffs goodbye.

Status
Not open for further replies.