Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have star power in New York, the city doesn't care all that much if you win or lose. Look at the Knicks. Basketball wise, they should not have re-signed Carmelo Anthony. But business wise, they had to.
Or look at the Red Bulls. They have had all the star power since day one and still NYC doesn't care about them because they're losers. There is nothing better from a marketing stand point than winning trophies. The Xavi's and the Lampard's will bring fans for a few games until they get bored. But trophies and winning teams is how you create a large fan base.

Or look at the Red Bulls. They have had all the star power since day one and still NYC doesn't care about them because they're losers. There is nothing better from a marketing stand point than winning trophies. The Xavi's and the Lampard's will bring fans for a few games until they get bored. But trophies and winning teams is how you create a large fan base.
Winning makes stars. New York is not going to care what you did before, what are you doing for us, now?

I have less concern about Xavi than about DP2

I seem to disagree with you guys. I think bringing in Xavi would be great for fans. People who like barca will now be inclined to follow NYC because of him. This could cause them to get hooked even after he leaves which won't be too long. I'd like Xavi, someone to look up to for the younger guys. And did you see his pass to Neymar today?!?!

People who come to see The Midfielder Formerly Known as Xavi as a curiousity are not people who build a club's culture.

People who want to field the highest quality team, above and beyond the name brand players, are the ones who will be there for the long haul. And as T Tom in Fairfield CT says, winning makes stars. That's why 99% of this board is crazy about Mix. He has a Jeter-like quality about him and he's young enough to become "ours", our bellwether, leading our team for a decade. He has the potential to be a massive part of our team, even if he's never the "best" "player". His personality and quality and timing position him to be the first crossover star berthed by our club, meaning that he stands to become a nationally recognized figure based largely on his performance in an NYC shirt.

He has more at stake than the Xavis or FFFs of the world ever will, and if there were 2 more of him available, I'd take both over the two other players I've mentioned here. Give me someone who chose to be here and who demonstrates real commitment over a temporary mercenary.

Let's put it this way, if I were a Los Angelian, I might go see Gerrard play a few times because he is a hero of mine as an LFC player. I won't, however, adopt LAG as my team just because he plays 1.5 seasons there. He's never going to be a Galaxy player. He's just a guy who suits up for them.

I want NYC players, and players who have more than fumes left in the tank. I just fundamentally disagree with the idea of trying to build a club and culture on the backs of washed up Europeans.

Drop some coin and pick up someone with more than 800 minutes per year left in their legs. Then, those of us who are the ones who will be here for the long term will have something to cheer about.

Last edited:
Love the Siriusxm.com fc discussions. They have mentioned DiRossi more than once because he owns property in ny and would love to play his last year's here and become a coach ot tv personality here after. Could do worse

Is this the motivation behind signing a player? To get non-commits interested in that silly soccer ball?

This is 2015. NYCFC should make decisions for the roster based on performance first, and way down the list should be "names".

Pseudo-Barca fans won't come every game even with Xavi.

Article from a month ago ....

I know. Thought there might be something new if they threw it back up on my FB feed. As I wrote a month ago, don't want that head case for half a season.

Claudio says "hold on"

Xavi repeatedly has been linked with New York City FC, with a report Tuesday night stating the star Spanish midfielder would join the expansion club this summer. But NYCFC sporting director Claudio Reyna refuted the report and told The Post that, while talks did happen, Xavi is only a potential target — and not the lone one.

“I don’t know where that came from. No [there’s] nothing done,’’ Reyna said. “We’re exploring many options for our third Designated Player. We want to see how the team starts playing and base that decision about what best fits team.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/05/claudio-reyna-xavi-hasnt-signed-a-deal-with-new-york-city-fc/

I hope that is true, if they pick third dp based on needs and not a retiring name, it will go a long way to fixing the FL mess. Getting a retiring Xavi reinforces that we are a branding exercise. We need a Giovinco not a Kaka
Are you kidding me? Stop.... Retiring Xavi because he doesn't start for Barca?!? ... oh im sorry that's just the sickest fucking team in the world by far. He's absolutely class and would destroy the MLS. Plus we will find out today the new roster rules we may get 4 DP spots especially since the owners saved a bunch of money in the CBA.

Are you kidding me? Stop.... Retiring Xavi because he doesn't start for Barca?!? ... oh im sorry that's just the sickest fucking team in the world by far. He's absolutely class and would destroy the MLS. Plus we will find out today the new roster rules we may get 4 DP spots especially since the owners saved a bunch of money in the CBA.
If they are too old to play every game, you are wasting your DP spots. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but F***k and Xavi look to me like one DP for the price of two.

If they are too old to play every game, you are wasting your DP spots. I'll be happy to be proven wrong, but F***k and Xavi look to me like one DP for the price of two.
Agreed. Their legs are shot. One or the other would work for me, not both. We need to get DPs that will help us most on the field.

Reactions: Paul
You guys would rather us buy Javier Calle than sign Xavi.

That's just dumb.

I would rather win than lose. Thats the bottom line and every NYC fan should feel the same way.

Of course. But you would rather us buy a promising player like Javier Calle, who has proven nothing by the way, than bring in Xavi Hernandez? Is that true?

Of course. But you would rather us buy a promising player like Javier Calle, who has proven nothing by the way, than bring in Xavi Hernandez? Is that true?
No. I haven't ever seen Calle play. I would rather us buy a player that is going to help cover our weak defense, not leave them more exposed, and would counter act the fact that we don't have the greatest defensive or mobile midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.