Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nasri explicitly said he wants to end his career in MLS.

Aside from the MLS is where I would like to retire critique, his explicit reasoning isn't all that heartening:

He said:"Marseille would be the only place that I'd like to play in France, but I think it's not realistic.

"My dream is to play in the MLS maybe, because I love the lifestyle in America."

When asked if he'd prefer the east or west coast he replied: "Doesn't matter - New York, LA - I want the big city. I would prefer the sun, but I'll take whatever!"
I would like less of that -- coming to MLS because you want to try out living in the U.S. And I say that having watched him score two goals in the exhibition against Chelsea at Yankee Stadium in 2013 when he looked excellent, despite not being at the intensity of a Premier League season fixture

Wait, so now we don't want people who possess world class talent to have a desire to live in our country?

He's not saying he sees it as a place to piss off. He's saying he wants to be in America. I think some people discount the appeal of living here, and I say that as someone who would definitely enjoy living abroad for a few years (at least I think I would). Part of why MLS will eventually be a massive league is just that - tons of people, soccer players or otherwise, want to live here, maybe get citizenship or have kids who are citizens here. It's a big draw.

When we reach the tipping point and the waterfall starts, it will be a race among much top-level talent to get in here. I don't think it's 5 years away, but I don't think it's 50 either. I think we'll hit the tipping point of being a top 8 league in less than 10 years. Beyond that, it will depend on the state of other leagues. If you were buying a team, would you buy here or Europe? As an investor, if I get less risk and more upside, it's a no-brainer.

Last edited:
So who did we send to Wilmington ? Or does that happen during the season?

Wait, so now we don't want people who possess world class talent to have a desire to live in our country?

Is that honestly what you took away? That is a pretty contorted reading of what I wrote

Is that honestly what you took away? That is a pretty contorted reading of what I wrote
As contorted as the initial attribution made to Nasri's quotes. He's a good player. He doesn't have arthritic joints. He wants to play here because he wants to live in New York or LA or near the beach. I'd imagine many people in Manchester would make the same swap.

Sign his petulant French ass up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kjbert
As comforted as the initial attribution made to Nasri's quotes. He's a good player. He doesn't have arthritic joints. He wants to play here because he wants to live in New York or LA or near the beach. I'd imagine many people in Manchester would make the same swap.

Sign his petulant French ass up.

He's signed to MCFC until he's 32, so hold on to your buns for another four years.

Maybe I'm overly soured by the Lampard affair. He also talked about that you could "live in great cities like this, New York City, Los Angeles [...]" but to his credit also spoke about how MLS has made "big strides," and that the "quality has gone up and up" and that "a good footballer, a top footballer, will always put football first: they move for footballing reasons. And people are starting to talk about it just for a footballing reason being a good move." If only that enthusiasm to grow the league had been genuine.

Of course where you and your family live is going to be a factor, I would just prefer the desire to live in an American city not to be the primary factor in signing with MLS (i.e. what is primarily a retirement decision, not a footballing decision).

He's signed to MCFC until he's 32, so hold on to your buns for another four years.

Maybe I'm overly soured by the Lampard affair. He also talked about that you could "live in great cities like this, New York City, Los Angeles [...]" but to his credit also spoke about how MLS has made "big strides," and that the "quality has gone up and up" and that "a good footballer, a top footballer, will always put football first: they move for footballing reasons. And people are starting to talk about it just for a footballing reason being a good move." If only that enthusiasm to grow the league had been genuine.

Of course where you and your family live is going to be a factor, I would just prefer the desire to live in an American city not to be the primary factor in signing with MLS (i.e. what is primarily a retirement decision, not a footballing decision).
Buns held. 32 is not quite ripe enough for our FO it seems. Probably after the following contract.

Sorry to say, no one is coming here for purely football reasons. We in the US have a great quality of life. Shake what your momma gave you. I'm guessing you've never spent much time selling something.

I didn't want Lampard before he pulled a Lampard, so I think you're arguing with wrong poster.

Last edited:
This is a business. This is a sport. These guys are entertainers.

There's an old saying in sales - if a client wants a blue suit, sell him a blue suit.

The soccer snobs need to realize that to attract a Messi, you first need to attract a Nasri. And a Kaka. And a Dempsey. And a Beckham. Spread the word. There's money here. Lots of it. You get left alone. It's fucking America and it's been the European dream since the Pilgrima crash landed in Robert Kraft's backyard. Run with it and sell what we have to sell.

This is a business. This is a sport. These guys are entertainers.

There's an old saying in sales - if a client wants a blue suit, sell him a blue suit.

The soccer snobs need to realize that to attract a Messi, you first need to attract a Nasri. And a Kaka. And a Dempsey. And a Beckham. Spread the word. There's money here. Lots of it. You get left alone. It's fucking America and it's been the European dream since the Pilgrima crash landed in Robert Kraft's backyard. Run with it and sell what we have to sell.
That is a good framing of my point. Well said.

Reactions: Gene and JayH
no one, yet. Prob will send them in a couple of weeks or so. I could see maybe fitzgerald and one other person going thats it.
Don't we have to send a minimum of four players there?

My guess would be: Rawls, Brandt, Dunn, and maybe Tommy Mac or George John?

Reactions: Kjbert
Don't we have to send a minimum of four players there?

My guess would be: Rawls, Brandt, Dunn, and maybe Tommy Mac or George John?
Wouldn't dropping Brandt leave us with only 3 FBs? Can John be loaned even though he is hurt? I don;t know the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.