Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that Klinsman wants our team to play against the best and thats in Europe. But they sit the bench there and here they play and are stars. The German team that won the cup mostly played in the bundesliga. Before that the spanish Cup champions mostly played in Spain and the Italian champs from '06 almost all played in Serie A.
Being in a league with your teammates even if your on opposite sides builds a bind that brings the best teams together
I see what you are saying and agree,but the mls is not at the quality of play right now that the bundesliga and Serie A,when the mls can compare with both of those leagues then yes our national team do good in the WC,not that they haven't already.

Reactions: northernburbs
Not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here.

We have a major problem, and it's one that was predictable, but we all papered over it with our enthusiasm.

We literally have 3 MLS starters. Mix, Grabavoy and Villa are the only people on our squad who are at or above the median at their position - maybe Hernandez or Wingert at various points in the past may have at least temporarily held a starter role.

Anyway, point is, we have 3 guys and only three guys who would start at most any club. The rest of our team is shit. Not a little bit, had an off game shit. But literally, most have never held down a starting post anywhere in the league shit.

Not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here.

We have a major problem, and it's one that was predictable, but we all papered over it with our enthusiasm.

We literally have 3 MLS starters. Mix, Grabavoy and Villa are the only people on our squad who are at or above the median at their position - maybe Hernandez or Wingert at various points in the past may have at least temporarily held a starter role.

Anyway, point is, we have 3 guys and only three guys who would start at most any club. The rest of our team is shit. Not a little bit, had an off game shit. But literally, most have never held down a starting post anywhere in the league shit.
I agree, but I'd add that for his age compared to others in the league Khiry Shelton is very good!

I don't entirely agree with you. Villa and Mix could play anywhere. I think Saunders is playing that way too. I also think Shelton has shown he is a RW in this league right now. Hernandez and Wingert are replacement level. Could probably start for 1/2 the league. I don't know about Nemec. He's different than any other strike in the league.

I think Grabavoy is shot. I don't know what you see in him. He's been terrible except for one pass at Yankee Stadium. Brodsky might be worse than Ballouchy at this point. Williams and Facey have provided nothing. Jacobson seems OK, but certainly not a guy I want our future depending on. Velasquez kills me. All that speed, but doesn't use it properly and a terrible decision maker.

Wingert started regularly, AJ started before a new coach came in. Wasn't Nemec starting for Union Berlin? So didn't we just go through 75% of the starting lineup?

Yes there are deficiencies but compared to many other clubs, its not that bad.

I still think we need a dedicated CDM, a speedy and smart CB, another fullback and players who can get NYC some width.

Did you watch Colorado today? Theres a broken roster.

I seriously can not believe the absolute shit I've just read .were shit were shit good god.!!
So just hoist the white flag then give up why don't you !
Or how about looking at it another way we,re a club three games into our first season undefeated after 2:away games and 1 home who have only let in 1 badly deflected goal.
What sort of performances did people expect when the players don't even know each others names ?
The club has set so many records this last fortnight its untrue and in my opinion has had a superb start to its history .
I absolutely give up with some of the postrrs on here get behind the team win or loose for gods sake

I don't entirely agree with you. Villa and Mix could play anywhere. I think Saunders is playing that way too. I also think Shelton has shown he is a RW in this league right now. Hernandez and Wingert are replacement level. Could probably start for 1/2 the league. I don't know about Nemec. He's different than any other strike in the league.

I think Grabavoy is shot. I don't know what you see in him. He's been terrible except for one pass at Yankee Stadium. Brodsky might be worse than Ballouchy at this point. Williams and Facey have provided nothing. Jacobson seems OK, but certainly not a guy I want our future depending on. Velasquez kills me. All that speed, but doesn't use it properly and a terrible decision maker.
I was trying to be generous with Grabavoy.

Someon else mentioned Shelton, and I agree he looks like he's going to be an important piece. He just doesn't start for us now.

ETA:
As I said in chat, Brovsky is not MLS quality. His level is USL or, as I've also stated, bartender. I really think with his moustache and wit, he'd really excel in that role if he found the right faux speakeasy setup. He's really wasted at left back.

Facey is alright on the ball, but he looks his age/experience quite often. I think if Velasquez and Nemec were a little better about combining, it would have helped him out.

Jacobsen is serviceable, but isn't going to find a killer ball. He's best at poking it around to himself and holding his hands up before kicking it to the nearest teammate. I'm not sure if it was tactical or a function of his or Mix's on movement, but it looked like he was getting further forward than Mix quite a bit. That's not good at all, IMO.

Grabavoy had no lungs yesterday. Several times, our forwards tried to pressure high, and Grabavoy was sucking wind rather than taking away the outlet or cutting the passing lane.

Bottom line is, we need some pace and width. Given how Kreis likes to play, we need some fullbacks who can get down the field. It won't happen, but we almost look like we need 3 at the back and give maybe Shelton and Calle (or someone) a run out as WB/wide mids.

Hell, we could probably play 2 at the back anyway since our only defense is Saunders saves. And he's been great at shot stopping. He's pretty mediocre in distribution, but you can't fault his ability to keep the ball out of the net. With that form and Meara being a gamble that looks like it won't pay off, I think we are going to be riding Saunders the entire way.

Since 3 at the back isn't a possibility, even a single fullback along the lines of a Robbie Rogers or even a Tony Beltran, we'd be in much better shape. Would at least allow us to play up one side. We don't have anything close to that now, and that's a big problem. To me, our mf suffers in moving from defense to attack because they have to support the fullbacks so much, both in possession and covering.

I think we can get by without a CDM if we have another decent midfielder. I don't care for Frank, but it infuriates me every time I watch us play because our setup screams for another quality central midfielder. It's quite obvious that our squad was planned for him to be a part of it, which makes the Lampard Houdhini act even sadder. Again, he's not going to help us giving up so many good looks on goal with his defensive contributions, but at least he should help with controlling the ball. But yeah, I'll still boo him.

We need to get Spurs to loan us Yedlin or something (would never happen). If Hamburg gets relegated, we could maybe go in for Gotz. If I'm Kreis, I'm scouring European relegation candidate rosters looking for fullbacks and a box to box, in that order.

Would a "10" be great? Of course, but there aren't many of those available in the world. Let's get a box to box to at least help us get the ball from back to front.

Don't forget, we won't have Mix for a month with the Gold Cup...

And where the heck was Williams yesterday? I have thought he was the best we had at playing Kreis's system. Was he injured?

Last edited:
I was trying to be generous with Grabavoy.

Someon else mentioned Shelton, and I agree he looks like he's going to be an important piece. He just doesn't start for us now.
I know what you're talking about, since his sheet is still relatively blank. Most people just notice that he's done more to help plays go forward and attack in ~60 minutes this season than Nemec has in ~230+. Do you think he ought to start, even though he doesn't?

I know what you're talking about, since his sheet is still relatively blank. Most people just notice that he's done more to help plays go forward and attack in ~60 minutes this season than Nemec has in ~230+. Do you think he ought to start, even though he doesn't?
Absolutely. Maybe with Nemec and Villa if we just have to have a big guy to knock it down. That said, Khiry looked plenty capable of holding up the ball yesterday, and he gives us someone who's technically stronger and has pace.

I feel like I'm watching a football team who just keeps pounding the ball up the middle when the opponent is lined up in their goal line defense. If we don't have a 50/50 squirt through and put us in, we look out of ideas because there is no connecting the midfield to the forwards. Shelton looks like he might be able to both play target man or come back to receive the ball at his feet. He looks really good to me.

I just don't fully understand what our plan is. I worry that we're stuck playing like when you buy a big name player for your FUT - you try to do too much with that great player, and your team suffers. It's like everyone is so focused on getting the ball to Villa, they aren't trying to get in position themselves. Shelton and Mullins don't seem suffer from that quite as much. As it stands now, I'd say that propensity makes us look like strong Ewing Theory candidates.

Absolutely. Maybe with Nemec and Villa if we just have to have a big guy to knock it down. That said, Khiry looked plenty capable of holding up the ball yesterday, and he gives us someone who's technically stronger and has pace.

I feel like I'm watching a football team who just keeps pounding the ball up the middle when the opponent is lined up in their goal line defense. If we don't have a 50/50 squirt through and put us in, we look out of ideas because there is no connecting the midfield to the forwards. Shelton looks like he might be able to both play target man or come back to receive the ball at his feet. He looks really good to me.

I just don't fully understand what our plan is. I worry that we're stuck playing like when you buy a big name player for your FUT - you try to do too much with that great player, and your team suffers. It's like everyone is so focused on getting the ball to Villa, they aren't trying to get in position themselves. Shelton and Mullins don't seem suffer from that quite as much. As it stands now, I'd say that propensity makes us look like strong Ewing Theory candidates.
I agree on the comment that everyone just tries to get it to villa. It's so predictable. Dribble into box, try to force a pass to villa, repeat.

I seriously can not believe the absolute shit I've just read .were shit were shit good god.!!
So just hoist the white flag then give up why don't you !
Or how about looking at it another way we,re a club three games into our first season undefeated after 2:away games and 1 home who have only let in 1 badly deflected goal.
What sort of performances did people expect when the players don't even know each others names ?
The club has set so many records this last fortnight its untrue and in my opinion has had a superb start to its history .
I absolutely give up with some of the postrrs on here get behind the team win or loose for gods sake

Relax. No one is turning their back on the club. It's just a little dose of reality. Out of the 6 halves of football played, we've been the better team for maybe 2. We will have tougher matches than Colorado, starting with SKC on the 28th.

Villa is essentially playing the 10 for us now. Given free reign underneath the striker. I like it. He can play wide when he needs to. He can play off Nemec when he needs to do.

Well yeah, we're an expansion team. If those players were valued by their clubs they wouldn't have been left unprotected.
This is what some of you need to remember. In this league you cannot buy yourself to success because of restrictions. So it will probably take multiple transfer windows and drafts until we have a solid team.

It's also worth pointing out we are only playing with one DP right now. Two more will (hopefully) arrive in the summer. Which will (hopefully) be two strong additions to the starting 11.

Mix and Villa are good enough to start for ANY side in the league.

MLS starter level - Saunders (on current form at least), Wingert, Hernandez, Williams, Jacobson

Replacement level - Kwame, Grabavoy, Velasquez, Shelton, Mullins

Not MLS standard - Fitzgerald, Brovsky, Ballouchy

Not MLS standard yet - Brandt, Dunn, McNamara

May or may not be good enough (we haven't seen enough of them yet) - Mendoza, Facey, Poku, Calle, Alvarez, Nemec, Taylor

John, Meara, Lampard are all above average for MLS players IMO and will improve the team a lot when they come back.

A lot of interesting points here.

I think there is some harshness in regards to some of our players but maybe I just haven't seen enough of them at this point to make a proper decision. I will say this though, Nemec is an absolute disaster. He's had so many great opportunities to score and he just looks lost out there. I would love for us to play Shelton in that role a little more often. But, again, we are only three games in so I would like to see how they all develop over time.

Tactically I think there are some issues and the point made about trying to constantly feed Villa is a good one. How many times have we seen a great run of play by those in an attacking position that aren't fed properly? There have also been a couple of great opportunities to counter on the break that are just wasted. It's very frustrating to see. I think our schedule has been very favorable to us and we have squandered what could be precious points down the line as things are only going to get tougher. Giving away a cheap goal to Orlando when they are down to ten men and being unable to score against a horrific Colorado side is a bit worrying. This Saturday will be their biggest test yet.

I know I'm about to go slightly off topic but since it was mentioned a couple of posts ago I want to mention it anyway. I think some of you are delusional in your assessment of the USMNT. We are not winning the world cup any time soon. I think we are a couple of generations away from making a real impact and realistically at least 40-50 years away from that accomplishment. As the sport continues to grow in this country (whether fans are watching MLS or international leagues), the desire to play professionally will continue to increase. Hopefully we will see MLS start to attract some of the better players in their prime but this will only be doable when total free agency is in the cards and real money is being spent to attract those stars. Hopefully at this time we will already have a nice core group of Americans who want this league to grow and will play in this country. I want the absolute best players from around the world in the MLS because it will culture an attitude of excellence that many children aren't exposed to in this sport yet. It's coming but we've got a long way to go.

Remember, we've only just started to become interested in this sport as a nation. Eight to ten years ago I couldn't find anyone to talk EPL with and you had to jump through hoops to watch games. Now it seems that everywhere you go there are new fans popping up. And the same is true for MLS. This is still a VERY YOUNG league and it's going to take a long time to reach that desired level. Let's all be patient and not get ahead of ourselves.

Reactions: FCRU and Lasker
I remember we were linked to a Brazilian winger from Flamengo last year. He might have been a better signing than Pablo Alvarez but I understand why Alvarez was signed.

Reactions: Kjbert
I remember we were linked to a Brazilian winger from Flamengo last year. He might have been a better signing than Pablo Alvarez but I understand why Alvarez was signed.
Are you saying you understand based on his connection to Villa? Thats what I thought, but him going to Wilmington makes no sense along those lines. Although his play might be better suited to USL.

Status
Not open for further replies.