Maynor Figueroa, 32, LB/CB
Andy Wilkinson, 30, RB/CB
Wilson Palacios, 30, DM/CB
Guy Demel, 33, RB/CB
Curtis Obeng, 26, RB
Kamil Zayatte, 30, CB/DM
Javier Garrido, 30, LB
Carlos Cuellar, 33, CB/RB
Add Jonas Gutierrez to that list. Holy shit Newcastle.

Love me some Paul McShane.

Gutierrez saves their season and gets let go. Of course.

I would take either. I think McShane though would quickly become a fan favorite.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
Love me some Paul McShane.

Gutierrez saves their season and gets let go. Of course.

I would take either. I think McShane though would quickly become a fan favorite.
I agree. TBH I think any of those would improve us (Particularly Garrido, Palacios or ANY right-back).

-------------Villa---------------Shelton
----------------------Lampard
----------------Pirlo-----------Mix
-----------------------Palacios
Calle--------Onyewu--------McShane------Rosenior
-----------------------Saunders

(Obviously not gonna happen, but it would be nice)

Reactions: Kjbert and USAfan6
Not really a defender though.
I know just
1) he literally secured they'd stay in the Premier League
2) He just finished a battle with cancer
3) He is one of their better players

I'd rate him in Midfield for us.

Reactions: Kjbert
I know just
1) he literally secured they'd stay in the Premier League
2) He just finished a battle with cancer
3) He is one of their better players

I'd rate him in Midfield for us.
Yeah definitely. The state of Newcastle.

Reactions: NYCFCfan
I agree. TBH I think any of those would improve us (Particularly Garrido, Palacios or ANY right-back).

-------------Villa---------------Shelton
----------------------Lampard
----------------Pirlo-----------Mix
-----------------------Palacios
Calle--------Onyewu--------McShane------Rosenior
-----------------------Saunders

(Obviously not gonna happen, but it would be nice)
People keep listing Lampard as a #10 - is that really accurate? He's a shuttler.

People keep listing Lampard as a #10 - is that really accurate? He's a shuttler.

I think #10 is most likely where he will play for us. It helps save his legs since he is older and maximizes his impact on offense. It's often where he played for MCFC this year when he came on as a sub as well.

Not any more he ain't.
Which is kinda why I'm not sure if he's the right kind of MLS late-age signing. He's got a legendary resume, but when you think about how he fits into the squad, he can't do what he was best at anymore.

He'll still be one of our two best players - don't get me wrong. But I think in terms of helping us win games (and not just sell tickets), there are a few natural #10s who would have been better fits.

Reactions: gbservis
Just because he's playing at the top of the diamond doesn't necessarily means he'll be playing as a number 10. If you have someone like Pirlo sitting deep then you don't need a traditional number 10 who sets up goals. Lampard could just be a more attacking midfielder whose only goal is to score goals.

Reactions: NickA and gbservis
Man, if Ronaldinho was maybe 2 years younger, I would have loved for him to join us.

Do you guys think that since we dropped a bombshell on the leauge, other clubs will be inclined to sign more high profile players?

I mean, we just stole the spotlight from the Galaxy and the Red Bulls. Especially LA. I bet they're regretting signing Omar Gonzalez as a DP.
I still think we should go for him. He's killing it in Mexico.

Reactions: kun
On a personal level, I would love to sign Ronaldinho. He is possibly my favourite player of all time, but he wouldn't represent a step forward for NYCFC or MLS. Wouldn't even give 50%, not to mention 100%.

Not knowing how this works - how good are these guys usually? What were the odds on Gerrard to LAG? Or Costa to Chelsea? Etc

Bookies odds are actually usually pretty good. After all, the companies haemorrhage money when they get it wrong - the industry wouldn't exist if they hadn't worked out how to be accurate. If the bookies say you're favourites then it's likely that those in the industry agree. However, they're only as good as the information they're getting. If he really is looking to come to MLS then the chances are good. If he never had any intentions of leaving Juve and it's all been driven by speculation, then the odds mean diddly squat.

I don't ever bet myself, but I regularly keep track of betting odds just because they are an interesting way of keeping up on the likelihood of things taking place.

there are odds for players transferring to other clubs? people bet on this?

Haha. Betting on transfers is considered fairly standard. There are far more unusual things that people bet on. For instance, right now you can get 4/1 odds on Qatar being stripped of the 2022 World Cup, 33/1 odds on Harry Kane eventually becoming England's record goalscorer, 15/2 on United being Mourinho's next club (not just this summer but...ever), 5/1 on Sepp Blatter being arrested by Interpol before the end of 2017 (I'm not joking, that's an actual bet one company are offering). I've heard of people betting on the odds of school friends playing cricket for England, betting on which stadium will be selected as a cup venue in various competitions...I saw something online about people betting whether Katy Perry would have a nipple slip during the Super Bowl program this year...

End of the day, betting offers people money for nothing. It's an incredibly addictive industry, and people will take any chance for an easy payout. Why would betting companies not encourage reckless bets when they can make so much currency off it?

Reactions: mgarbowski
I still think Lampard plays as a RM for us. If Pirlo joins, it would make sense to play a "flatter" 4-4-2 with Mix as an 8 and Pirlo as that deeper midfielder. Lampard wide right with Shelton wide left. May make the field unbalanced as your RB now has more defensive assignments but Brovsky stinks up the field anyway.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
Status
Not open for further replies.