Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Lampard plays as a RM for us. If Pirlo joins, it would make sense to play a "flatter" 4-4-2 with Mix as an 8 and Pirlo as that deeper midfielder. Lampard wide right with Shelton wide left. May make the field unbalanced as your RB now has more defensive assignments but Brovsky stinks up the field anyway.

Why not mix on the right? He plays there from time to time with the USMNT and he has done pretty well. Lampard has played in the middle most of his career.

Reactions: BlueWarrior
Why not mix on the right? He plays there from time to time with the USMNT and he has done pretty well. Lampard has played in the middle most of his career.

Because if we're trying to protect Franks legs, why play him as an 8 that has to go box to box? Play him wide right. Use Brovsky as a guy who doesn't get up the field from his RB position. Pirlo can then put the ball on the toe of a Lamlard or Shelton from 40 yards. Mix can control the game from further up the field. Lampards best trait right now is his ability to find space. Utilize that by letting him make runs from wide.

I still think Lampard plays as a RM for us. If Pirlo joins, it would make sense to play a "flatter" 4-4-2 with Mix as an 8 and Pirlo as that deeper midfielder. Lampard wide right with Shelton wide left. May make the field unbalanced as your RB now has more defensive assignments but Brovsky stinks up the field anyway.

There is no way Lampard plays out wide. He'll 100% have a central role, it's all he's ever done in his career, he does not at all have the attributes to play as a RM.

looks like pirlo could possibly happen. Juve in talks with Oscar as a possible replacement for pirlo.

Ill place this one in the "just maybe" file.

Reactions: Kjbert
There is no way Lampard plays out wide. He'll 100% have a central role, it's all he's ever done in his career, he does not at all have the attributes to play as a RM.

Kind of like how Theirry Henry went from a Striker to playing as a LM for NYRB?

I'm hoping we see Lampard in the 10 role and Mix out on the right. Lamps will be an obvious improvement in the midfield and if we get Mix on the wing he can actually cause some damage rather than spending all his time trying to mop up for our back 4.

Reactions: Kjbert

Lampard and Henry are two entirely different players with entirely different skillsets. Henry was capable to play out wide at a high level. Lampard would not be able to play at a high level out wide. He is just fine in CM

Reactions: PB3
Umm... no. Henry played wide left for a large part of his career (he played almost exclusively there for Barca), Lampard has never played wide.

Reactions: PB3
Henry and Lampard are completely different players, and Henry started off as a winger early in his career, I don't think Lampard has ever played out wide

Henry played as a distributor from wide left. You're next going to tell me that's because he played there his whole life?

Point is this is MLS. he's a different player here at this point in his career.

What about Andoni Iraola?
Quality player, can play right back and all over midfield. He's announced he'll leave Athletic Bilbao this summer at the end of his contract, and he's expected to come to MLS.

What about Andoni Iraola?
Quality player, can play right back and all over midfield. He's announced he'll leave Athletic Bilbao this summer at the end of his contract, and he's expected to come to MLS.
He's good, but I think he'll definitely want to come over and play Right Back, and I don't want to use our last DP slot on a Right Back

He's good, but I think he'll definitely want to come over and play Right Back, and I don't want to use our last DP slot on a Right Back
Yeah, you're probably right. Would be incredible if he could be signed under the cap though.

Yeah, you're probably right. Would be incredible if he could be signed under the cap though.
I'd take him without a doubt if we could get him under the cap, but I think he'll command DP money. I could definitely see Columbus Crew signing him as a DP, he'd be lethal whipping in crosses to Kamara.

Reactions: kun

Henry started his career as a winger and has always had the skillset to play there, it's just in his peak he would have been wasted out wide, hence why he became such a lethal striker for Arsenal. Henry and Lampard are completely incomparable players, Lampard is a fantastic player but one of the least versatile you can imagine. As I said, zero chance he gets played out wide.

I've been coaching for a while now and have always had a few players that didn't have good soccer skills. I've always played them L/R Mids. It's usually taught and spoke about in coaching that it's easier to mask deficiencies at those positions and to focus your best talent towards the middle, strengthening the center first.

Unless you have skill players in all positions of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.