Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take it as NYCFC representatives in Turin recently to meet with Pirlo. The player, after Berlin, will decide on his future?

Good sign we are in Turin to meet him. Have to be in it win it.

Pessimistic view:

NYCFC Scout #1: "Man I would love to go the CL final"
NYCFC Scout #2: "Me too"
NYCFC Scout #1: "Lets tell them we are going after someone"
NYCFC Scout #2: "Messi?"
NYCFC Scout #1: "Nah, no one will believe that"
NYCFC Scout #2: "Dani Alves?"
NYCFC Scout #1: "maybe, but not exciting enough"
NYCFC Scout #2: "Pirlo?"
NYCFC Scout #1: "Yes! get one of those completely unreliable Italian sources on the phone, you know the kind all the agents use, the ones who will say anything"
NYCFC Scout #2: "We're going to the CL final its going to be amazing!"

Just kidding, fingers crossed, I will be so pumped if we get Pirlo.

I'll just leave this here. If we do have him and Lampard playing apply would be necessary. They both thrive off of players that create space. They get into that space and use it to create chances. They both play VERY well off of others. But they both require those around them to attract defenders so they can move off the ball into positions. Mix and Poku are the only guys we have in that midfield with that ability right now. We saw it in the last game. That last 30 was heart pounding but we couldn't put away chances.

image.jpg

Reactions: edurban and Kjbert
At this point I'm going to be as mad if we don't get Pirlo as I would be if we do get Drogba.

#NoPirloNoPeace
I think if Juve win he'll be ready to leave. If they don't he might stick around. Then again they won the Serie A so he might be satisfied with that and ready to retire from the team. He definitely won't stay in Italy since he won't want to play against them or another big team in Europe for fear of having to play them in UCL. MLS is a smart move.

Reactions: Gavin23 and Kjbert
I think it was more difficult to pry Stevie G from Anfield than it would be to pry Pirlo from Italy. If he was a one club guy, then maybe he stays and sees out his career. But he's not. Also, and most interesting to me - he only makes 3 Million Euros a season, with bonuses. Is he worth 8 Million USD? I'm not paying his wages (I guess anyone who buys a ticket really is, but you know what I mean). He's 36 - he would be the highest or second highest paid Italian in the world of football with Giovinco.

Bodes well for the league.

Technically he wouldn't be the second highest if he made $8 million because in Italy they report salary net, so while Pirlo is making €3.5 million he's really making €7 million. There are Italian players making more than him. DDR makes €6 million... after taxes.

How much are athletes taxed here in the US? Wouldn't it be close to 50% or so? 40%? 45?

I think if Juve win he'll be ready to leave. If they don't he might stick around. Then again they won the Serie A so he might be satisfied with that and ready to retire from the team. He definitely won't stay in Italy since he won't want to play against them or another big team in Europe for fear of having to play them in UCL. MLS is a smart move.

With all respect to Juve, them reaching the CL final was not expected. Them doing it two years in a row would be remarkable. If he stays another season, he's not likely to get a second shot at the CL trophy, and I'm sure he knows it.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
It's a pretty big surprise that Juventus made it to the final and even if they win I'd bet they would not be favorites to make it all the way back. I can't imagine Pirlo would stay thinking it's unfinished business and he needed to get Juve back and win as Juve making it back to the final again next year is a big ask.

Iraola I'd imagine would not be a DP. He's a sold player but not someone anyone would spend DP money on so if we could get him and not have it impact signing Pirlo why the heck not?

If we do get Pirlo, anyone else concerned with our midfield defense with Lampard, Pirlo and Mix? None of them is really known as a defensive stopper. Curious what everyone thinks.

I would love to have him as our 3rd dp but wanted to see if on the past 199 pages anyone else mentioned this. Thanks guys

With all respect to Juve, them reaching the CL final was not expected. Them doing it two years in a row would be remarkable. If he stays another season, he's not likely to get a second shot at the CL trophy, and I'm sure he knows it.
True but they'll be in the draw seeing as how they finished first. So they're automatically in the CL. He could play them first round just as he could in the final.

If we do get Pirlo, anyone else concerned with our midfield defense with Lampard, Pirlo and Mix? None of them is really known as a defensive stopper. Curious what everyone thinks.

I would love to have him as our 3rd dp but wanted to see if on the past 199 pages anyone else mentioned this. Thanks guys
There's defensive gaps with Lampard coming along for sure. He'll probably play on top of the diamond as he wont be expected to track back as much. Mix might fall into the roll he's in now. Feeding Lamps. You almost have to keep Mix there in order to provide the back line some support.
Maybe Poku takes over and then makes those nasty runs from our own half which he's shown he can do all the way up to the offensive 18.
Hopefully his 'conditioning' and 'defensive issues' won't be an issue at this point.

I think its a legitimate concern. I think both Pirlo and Lampard are willing defenders, but obviously at this point in their careers they are both lacking the legs to do a lot of defending. Mix and whomever else shares the midfield with them will have to truly play box to box, defend and help cover for the two old guys. Mix has the work rate to do it.

Most MLS teams struggle to finish chances. Even with a shaky defense we will win most of the time if we can score consistently. With Villa, Lampard, and Pirlo on the field we should have no problem scoring.

Reactions: edurban and JayH
True but they'll be in the draw seeing as how they finished first. So they're automatically in the CL. He could play them first round just as he could in the final.

I'm not sure what you mean. They would've been in the draw regardless - both of the top two in Serie A get into the group stage and the third placed goes into the playoff round, which Juve would expect to progress from. Being first, under the new UEFA rules, means they are automatic top seeds for the group stage, but again they'd expect to do well in the group stages. It's once they get to the knock-out rounds that Juve can't take anything for granted, and their placement in Serie A this season means nothing in that regard.

Reactions: Kjbert
Diskerud used to play a more defensive role on Stabaek/Rosenborg, but he wasn't ideally suited to it and the Norwegian league isn't particularly physical. He carried it off well enough, but he doesn't really have the size to play that role in the MLS.

For me Kreis needs to think about developing Poku into a more disciplined, defensively oriented mid or consider buying someone(below DP level, not worth a big salary). Jacobson is a liability and I don't see anyone else with the right physique and mindset in the current squad.

Mix is really good defensively. i dont know where you are getting that from. Did you watch the Houston game? He was basically playing left back for a stretch. Hes been doing it all year and does it for the men's team. He is wasted there, but he is a very good defender.

I'm not sure what you mean. They would've been in the draw regardless - both of the top two in Serie A get into the group stage and the third placed goes into the playoff round, which Juve would expect to progress from. Being first, under the new UEFA rules, means they are automatic top seeds for the group stage, but again they'd expect to do well in the group stages. It's once they get to the knock-out rounds that Juve can't take anything for granted, and their placement in Serie A this season means nothing in that regard.
I said if he goes to Europe to a top club he could meet Juve in champions league. Obviously if he stays in Italy the fact he plays the team 2 times has no barring on CL because he's already playing them twice. So if he wouldn't care about that why bring up CL.

Mix is really good defensively. i dont know where you are getting that from. Did you watch the Houston game? He was basically playing left back for a stretch. Hes been doing it all year and does it for the men's team. He is wasted there, but he is a very good defender.

This.

Jacobson is a liability and I don't see anyone else with the right physique and mindset in the current squad.

Definitely NOT this. Outside of Mix, Jacobson has been our most consistent performer the last few weeks.

Reactions: gbservis
This.

Definitely NOT this. Outside of Mix, Jacobson has been our most consistent performer the last few weeks.
But he's had some massive lapses and over committee. But you're right. I tend to judge our players by how often I have to say 'What the fuck INSERT NAME HERE.' And rarely do I with him

Reactions: Kjbert
Status
Not open for further replies.