Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely think we should go for a younger(under 30) DP for number 3.
Omar Abdulrahman, for me, would be the perfect 3rd DP.
He's 23 years old attacking midfielder. Can play wide and behind the striker. He's incredibly skillful and can dribble past players, he has good vision and an excellent passing range. He may not put bums on seats at Yankee Stadium, but he'd get bums off seats for those who watch him. Plus he would generate interest in NYCFC and MLS from Asia/UAE (where the Sheikh is from). Also, if MLS do add a 4th DP next season then we can use that on some ageing big name.
Such an exciting player.

I just read his wiki. I am intrigued. It looks like Manchester City attempted to sign him on a 4 year contract a couple years back but there was work permit issues. So he has the City Football Group connection.

I just read his wiki. I am intrigued. It looks like Manchester City attempted to sign him on a 4 year contract a couple years back but there was work permit issues. So he has the City Football Group connection.
Yeah, it seems to be personal dream of the Sheikh to get a UAE player in the MCFC starting XI. I think City passed up on signing him as they didn't think the work it would take to get the paperwork through would have been worth it.

I have no clue who Mario Gomez is. If that is who is about to join us, I'm sure he would be a good get - but it would be more nut sucking from the Ian Joys of the world. That is not a "bigger" or "more exciting" signing than Pirlo.

Reactions: FootyLovin and joe
I have no clue who Mario Gomez is. If that is who is about to join us, I'm sure he would be a good get - but it would be more nut sucking from the Ian Joys of the world. That is not a "bigger" or "more exciting" signing than Pirlo.
No clue who Mario Gomez is?
German national team, former Bayern now Florentina striker?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Gómez

Impressive that you never heard of him.Still prefer Pirlo.

No clue who Mario Gomez is?
German national team, former Bayern now Florentina striker?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Gómez

Impressive that you never heard of him.Still prefer Pirlo.

I watch EPL, MLS, Celtic and International matches. Occasionally watch a Juve/Barca/Real/PSG game to watch stars. Have no interest in Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue Un or the Primera Division.

I'm sure I have seen him play, but he's not a star. Sounds like he's a solid player in a good league. But I'm starting to get pissed off at our team's mouthpieces who have to tout players who suck or can't have any unbiased opinion. You can't sell me that Mario Gomez or Didier Drogba is a better signing today than Pirlo.

One week before Mendoza was let go, Ian Joy was talking up his potential and how much of a factor he would be on this team - he just needed time.

The next week, he is let go and the tune changes. That bothers me.

I watch EPL, MLS, Celtic and International matches. Occasionally watch a Juve/Barca/Real/PSG game to watch stars. Have no interest in Bundesliga, Serie A, Ligue Un or the Primera Division.

I'm sure I have seen him play, but he's not a star. Sounds like he's a solid player in a good league. But I'm starting to get pissed off at our team's mouthpieces who have to tout players who suck or can't have any unbiased opinion. You can't sell me that Mario Gomez or Didier Drogba is a better signing today than Pirlo.

One week before Mendoza was let go, Ian Joy was talking up his potential and how much of a factor he would be on this team - he just needed time.

As an Italian living in NYC, the thought of Pirlo playing for this team makes my mouth water. But...having watched both play a lot...This is what I can tell you about Gomez. He's a true striker. Tall, physical, great header and powerful shot. He's almost 30. The knock on him the last few years were injuries. If healthy (big if) he's a phenomenal up top big target.

I honestly would love to have Pirlo, but based on need, Gomez would make sense too. Unfortunately, I doubt we get either.

Reactions: Kjbert

Yeah, not quite "no clue" who he is, but none of the names that have been thrown out here after Joy's comments have been "better" than Pirlo.

As an Italian living in NYC, the thought of Pirlo playing for this team makes my mouth water. But...having watched both play a lot...This is what I can tell you about Gomez. He's a true striker. Tall, physical, great header and powerful shot. He's almost 30. The knock on him the last few years were injuries. If healthy (big if) he's a phenomenal up top big target.

I honestly would love to have Pirlo, but based on need, Gomez would make sense too. Unfortunately, I doubt we get either.

My concern is that we still don't have anyone to feed a guy like Villa or maybe Gomez.

Our fullbacks can't get up the field. They can't cross the ball. Our only playmaker, Diskerud, is playing as a shuttler on the right side. Who gives service?

Well I think when talking about potential signings that you should keep midfielders apart from forwards, defenders from midfielders and so on. You can make comparisons if the team needs a forward or a deep-lying playmaker, but not a comparison between who's the better when it's two different positions.
A midfield with Lampard, Mix and Pirlo would be deadly, Villa and Goméz upfront wouldn't be so bad either.

My concern is that we still don't have anyone to feed a guy like Villa or maybe Gomez.

Our fullbacks can't get up the field. They can't cross the ball. Our only playmaker, Diskerud, is playing as a shuttler on the right side. Who gives service?

I was thinking the same thing. What good is a great striker if no one can get them the damn ball. Especially one that you can cross to for days.

Call me crazy, but with another midfielder, we can theoretically go three in the back and stack the midfield in a 3-5-2...which seems to be an area that we have options. We seem to be bad against the counter too, which this would help. But that's a whole other discussion.

I was thinking the same thing. What good is a great striker if no one can get them the damn ball. Especially one that you can cross to for days.

Call me crazy, but with another midfielder, we can theoretically go three in the back and stack the midfield in a 3-5-2...which seems to be an area that we have options. We seem to be bad against the counter too, which this would help. But that's a whole other discussion.

Wingert could work in a 3 Back tandem as an LCB and Facey as a RCB.

Who are the Wing Backs then?

Gomez is basically a better version of Nemec. Has size and is great in the air. Only difference is Gomez passes a lot better and isn't clumsy with the ball at his feet

if we sign pirlo I hope we can sign jack mcInerney. He is a guy who makes great runs and knows how to finish. Having lamps, mix, pirlo, and villa set him up would be awesome. We would prob have to trade mullins plus a draft pick or cash to get him tho.

Villa-------McInerney------Shelton
------------Lampard-------------
-----Mix--------------Pirlo--------

if we sign pirlo I hope we can sign jack mcInerney. He is a guy who makes great runs and knows how to finish. Having lamps, mix, pirlo, and villa set him up would be awesome. We would prob have to trade mullins plus a draft pick or cash to get him tho.

They would have to give us something plus Jack Mc before I would make that deal. I see him as a downgrade from Mullins.

Reactions: Paul and Kjbert
I'm very comfortable with Mullins and his development. Tough to find young, cheap players who can actually contribute. He can hold up play. He can create a shot for himself. He is not afraid to play towards goal. And he doesn't defer to Villa. Very happy with Mullins - probably performed a little better than I anticipated actually. Top 5 performer for us this year with Mix, Villa, Saunders and Hernandez.

Wingert could work in a 3 Back tandem as an LCB and Facey as a RCB.

Who are the Wing Backs then?

Grab, Jacobson, tmac, Shelton...depends on game plan.

I would put Poku as a DM. I'd prob put Lampard next to him and Mix as an AM. But the reverse could work.

Last edited:
There's BIG as in Big name bring people to the stadium and there's BIG as in have a big impact on the field. Pirlo is def bigger in the former sense I'm not sure he'd be bigger in the on field impact that Gomez or Gignac or some other people mentioned in the threat. Don't get me wrong I think Pirlo would be good and I want him but I'd be about equally happy with some (not all) of the other names.

Reactions: NickA and Kjbert

Are we trying?

Status
Not open for further replies.