Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the NY Times, Claudio Reyna announced his "this time for real" signing in a press conference in January:

"To quell the outcry, Lampard finally signed a contract with New York City F.C. this week, according to team’s sporting director, Claudio Reyna. That deal stipulates Lampard will join N.Y.C.F.C. on July 1.​

“He signed a standard M.L.S. contract,” Reyna said in a telephone interview Friday, his first public comments since the announcement on Dec. 31 that Lampard would staying at Manchester City through the end of the Premier League season. “Frank is very committed to N.Y.C.F.C. and is eager to join us as soon as possible to build a strong club.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/s...ell-join-new-york-city-fc-in-summer.html?_r=0

And yet there he is not on the official MLS transaction list. Again, my best guess is he will be here because further fraud is unimaginable, but I thought the same in December.
He'll be here. I'm not concerned about MLS because they haven't even published anything from their talks with the players union which normally would have come out a month ago.

MLS probably has some bigger stuff to worry about right now. I'm not reading too much into this.

Reactions: Kjbert
We haven't officially signed Frank yet is my guess. His contract with MC runs out 6/30 and we cannot sign him until he is on a free.

You can sign but you can´t register a player from Europe until July I think.. Uefa transfer schedules

According to the NY Times, Claudio Reyna announced his "this time for real" signing in a press conference in January:

"To quell the outcry, Lampard finally signed a contract with New York City F.C. this week, according to team’s sporting director, Claudio Reyna. That deal stipulates Lampard will join N.Y.C.F.C. on July 1.​

“He signed a standard M.L.S. contract,” Reyna said in a telephone interview Friday, his first public comments since the announcement on Dec. 31 that Lampard would staying at Manchester City through the end of the Premier League season. “Frank is very committed to N.Y.C.F.C. and is eager to join us as soon as possible to build a strong club.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/10/s...ell-join-new-york-city-fc-in-summer.html?_r=0

And yet there he is not on the official MLS transaction list. Again, my best guess is he will be here because further fraud is unimaginable, but I thought the same in December.

I don't know. We couldn't have registered him then because he was under contract with Man City, so maybe he signed "a standard MLS contract" that was set up to not take effect until July 1st when his EPL contract runs out.

You can sign but you can´t register a player from Europe until July I think.. Uefa transfer schedules
MLS probably has some bigger stuff to worry about right now. I'm not reading too much into this.
We couldn't have registered him then because he was under contract with Man City, so maybe he signed "a standard MLS contract" that was set up to not take effect until July 1st when his EPL contract runs out.

Except Gerrard is listed as having signed on January 7 on a free transfer even though he his contract with Liverpool was still in effect so none of those excuses seem to make sense.
http://www.mlssoccer.com/transactions/2015

I don't know why they didn't sign him in January. They obviously could have, see Gerrard. And if they did it would have been listed, see Gerrard.

Bottom line: I think Lampard is coming, but the announcement that he signed in January was another lie. I think he still has only a contract with CFG with a commitment to sign a contract with NYCFC. The only other explanation which I suppose is possible but seems absurdly unlikely is that of all the contracts and signings in all of MLS the only one they forgot to list on the 2015 transaction log was Frankie's.

And if we had a decent soccer press someone would have noticed this in January instead of eagle-eyed LionNYC picking up on it now.

Again, i expect him to come, but it's been lies, lies and more lies even until now.

Now that we are in the middle of the season...If you had the option to cut ties with Lampard and use the DP on someone else...would you?

In most cases no. But if they know they can sign a DP that will be a better fit and have a better impact, I'd support them.

I do think Lampard is coming when he is slated, though.

Now that we are in the middle of the season...If you had the option to cut ties with Lampard and use the DP on someone else...would you?

Hard to say without knowing what the other options are but I will say yes I'd rather cut ties with him if we could assuming:

1. We are getting Pirlo (2 older guys could become an issue and I'd rather have Pirlo than Lamps because he brings more to the table)
2. We could get a younger faster player in an attacking or wing role

Lampard is an odd fit with our current team, he doesn't play wide, doesn't have the legs to play his classic box to box 8 position, so I guess hes a 10?

Bottom line, will we be better with a guy like Lampard on the field? 100% yes. Now with the players we have and those coming are their better DP options? Probably.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

He's a shuttler who's lost his legs. His game does not adapt itself to playing into old age, unless he takes on a completely different position.

Pirlo, on the other hand, plays a game where he can have an impact without marauding up and down the field constantly.

If I had my druthers, I'd cut bait with Lampard and spend the spot on a legitimate #10.

Reactions: Paul

Great question. I would be open to looking at other options. But I don't know if there is a better player that would be available.

Would I prefer Chicharito over Lampard? Of course. But would I prefer a guy who looks promising in South America but hasn't really accomplished something over Lampard? No.

Kelechi Iheanacho would be a good loanee to take for a striker. He was a beast at just 17 when I watched him, and he would be able to learn from one of the best ever in David Villa.

Lampard is definitely not a false nine. He's not really even a 10. He's an 8 with a falling work rate. (If there's any signing to bitch about taking on retirees, it's still Lampard.)

Yes, I seem to recall some of us objecting to the Lampard signing before the fraud even occurred. One member in particular stands out for being vehemently against that acquisition. Hmmm, maybe Midas Mulligan remembers who that was.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
I would but the problem would be the optics of it. After Lampardgate imagine the ridicule we'd get if he ends up never playing for us at all. We have to at least play him the rest of this season, if we could get a really good DP (preferably younger) in January I'd do it

When exploring our tactical options with Pirlo in the fold, it became clear that Pirlo doesn't limit our formation options - Lampard does. Assuming we continue to play Jacobson as protection for our back line and against counter attacks, Pirlo and Lampard practically play the exact same position - a slow 8. Pirlo has some 6 tendencies and Lampard has some 10, but neither can play the 6 or 10 role exclusively.

Kreis likes two strikers (better for Villa too) and a fluid midfield four. With Lampard, we are more likely to play five in the midfield, just to get Lampard on the field without losing the fluidity and midfield runners. I would 100% rather have a DP striker rather than Lampard right now.

With Lampard:

Code:
---------------------Villa----------------------
------------------------------------------------
-------Mix---------------------------Poku-------
--------------Lampard-------Pirlo---------------
--------------------Jacobson--------------------
--Angelino-----------------------------Iraola---
---------------Facey------Hernandez-------------

With a DP striker in a 4-4-2 Y-midfield:

Code:
---------------Villa--------DP#3----------------
----------Mix---------------------Poku----------
---------------------Pirlo----------------------

The Lampard lineup is good. The DP striker lineup is great.

Just writing this up has me really hoping we sign a decent striker yet this summer, or maybe loan Iheanacho or something. At least we could split time between the two formations above, resting Lampard every 3 games or subbing him out in the 60th minute when we need some pace or a target up top.

Reactions: doctorhoosier
When exploring our tactical options with Pirlo in the fold, it became clear that Pirlo doesn't limit our formation options - Lampard does. Assuming we continue to play Jacobson as protection for our back line and against counter attacks, Pirlo and Lampard practically play the exact same position - a slow 8. Pirlo has some 6 tendencies and Lampard has some 10, but neither can play the 6 or 10 role exclusively.

Kreis likes two strikers (better for Villa too) and a fluid midfield four. With Lampard, we are more likely to play five in the midfield, just to get Lampard on the field without losing the fluidity and midfield runners. I would 100% rather have a DP striker rather than Lampard right now.

With Lampard:

Code:
---------------------Villa----------------------
-------Mix---------------------------Poku-------
--------------Lampard-------Pirlo---------------

With a DP striker in a 4-4-2 Y-midfield:

Code:
---------------Villa--------DP#3----------------
----------Mix---------------------Poku----------
---------------------Pirlo----------------------

The Lampard lineup is good. The DP striker lineup is great.

Just writing this up has me really hoping we sign a decent striker yet this summer, or maybe loan Iheanacho or something. At least we could split time between the two formations above, resting Lampard every 3 games or subbing him out in the 60th minute when we need some pace or a target up top.

Kind of the reason I ask. Assuming we get Pirlo..I know where he plays. But I am finding I hard time finding the perfect position/formation for Lampard. Which got me thinking..shouldn't our DPs be a forgone conclusion...as in he plays here, no questions asked. I'm ok with Lampard coming...but I'd also have no problem replacing him for someone else at a high level.

Reactions: gbservis
A 4-2-3-1 with Lampard as a CAM or a 4-2-3-1 with Lampard as a RM or a 4-4-2 with Lampard as a RM or CAM...

not worried about where he plays. You now have two athletic fullbacks who will get up and back. I think the coverage is there if Lampard is moved to a RM, but probably tucks inside a little bit.

I prefer speed on the outside. That being said, we have enough to personnel at mid to play multiple formations. Where we lack again is ST, CB. That's the targets. Then Kreis needs to be on point and I guess we'll have to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.