Official (random Player Name) To Nycfc Rumor Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is it that we (try to) sign a player from a country with a large ethnic community in NYC? Using Italian as an example, I know we've been linked to Aquilani before, and I think someone like Antonio Cassano or Alessandro Matri would be a great signing. Would that boost the team's reception, or is it too gimmicky? Do New Yorkers care about something like that?

The Aquilani rumor; http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ional-alberto-aquilani-next-big-name-join-new

New Yorkers do care about that. I think initially in other to draw from the major soccer watching communities it can work with the right player and then worry less about their nationality when the fan base is significant.

NYC can find its own leftovers, thank you.

The thing is, right now, it may change in years to come, if Man City / CFG were negotiating with a player aged around 30 he might get a 3 year contract with a 2 year option for NYCFC, its one of the advantages of a group !

While CFG remains silent, the plot thickens.
@StuBrennanMEN: Reports from Holland suggest City will move for Wesley Sneijder in January, as Lampard replacement. Galatasaray willing to sell cheap. #mcfc

@StuBrennanMEN: Reports in Turkey suggest Sneijder's agent has met with City - but with a view to joining @NYCFC rather than #mcfc

Stuart Brennan is a decent journalist but the "reports from Holland" and "reports from Turkey" make me suspect that this is all conjecture and hyperbole.

Reactions: Kjbert
While CFG remains silent, the plot thickens.
@StuBrennanMEN: Reports from Holland suggest City will move for Wesley Sneijder in January, as Lampard replacement. Galatasaray willing to sell cheap. #mcfc

@StuBrennanMEN: Reports in Turkey suggest Sneijder's agent has met with City - but with a view to joining @NYCFC rather than #mcfc
There are worse options than Sneijder.

Let's hold up on Sneijder he's still getting a lot of attention from EPL. I will wait before I get too excited that he's coming. He would be great but right now i'm not sure how much substance there is to these rumors.

There are worse options than Sneijder.
Yes. And idk how Chelsea supporters would feel but if I get Wesley instead, for footballing reasons, I'm cool with it. The only drawback is that it sets a bad precedent. I think however Frank has to play here on time. Play until the summer then sign for City and we get Sneijder.

New Yorkers do care about that. I think initially in other to draw from the major soccer watching communities it can work with the right player and then worry less about their nationality when the fan base is significant.

I disagree on the ethnic pull. It works for a game or 2 and wears off. Rafa Marquez signing by Red Bull is a classic case. Signing the captain of the Mexican NT had little discernible impact on attendance in an metropolitan area with a large population with Mexican heritage.

I disagree on the ethnic pull. It works for a game or 2 and wears off. Rafa Marquez signing by Red Bull is a classic case. Signing the captain of the Mexican NT had little discernible impact on attendance in an metropolitan area with a large population with Mexican heritage.

This is without a doubt true. Most overrated approach to signing some of these guys.

How important is it that we (try to) sign a player from a country with a large ethnic community in NYC? Using Italian as an example, I know we've been linked to Aquilani before, and I think someone like Antonio Cassano or Alessandro Matri would be a great signing. Would that boost the team's reception, or is it too gimmicky? Do New Yorkers care about something like that?

The Aquilani rumor; http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ional-alberto-aquilani-next-big-name-join-new
Another Italian name I would throw in there is Alessandro Diamanti. He's been playing in China for the last year but has been linked with a move away. Only 31 and would fit the CAM slot.

How many mexicans would pay to go to Jersey on a consistent basis? Doesnt help that Rafa was a massive prick. You dont think an Italian or Colombian DP in the NT picture would draw here in NYC.

How many mexicans would pay to go to Jersey on a consistent basis? Doesnt help that Rafa was a massive prick. You dont think an Italian or Colombian DP in the NT picture would draw here in NYC.

would have to be a star of a current NT which isnt happening for either of the respective countries

I mean, I'd guess a guy like Pirlo would. But I don't know that a backup or a role player would make that big of a difference. That's just one guy's opinion, though - take it or leave it.

That why i said a DP. No one is going because theyd want to see someone like Jamison Olave. But in the long run we want to be able to move past those types of signings on just focus on players who can help the team on the field.

Just throwing a name out there: Robinho would be fantastic IMO. Rumors that the Revs and Orlando are fighting over him, but I think he'd fit really nicely into NYCFC. He's still only 30, has a tonne of experience and can play in several positions (LW, RW, ST, CAM).

Status
Not open for further replies.