Official Vent Thread

Is there a clear (or multiple) best option for a device alternative to Roku? I have to keep cable for my in-laws who live with me. But I have a Roku device for all the streaming platforms. Don't like how slow it is and a couple other niggling issues and didn't know about the business model. Other suggestions?
Apple TV, but I also have an Amazon Fire TV Stick.

For home I use the Apple TV as it's just far, far better. And if I'm going to watch my daughter's cats for a week or so while she's away I'll bring that with me as it's worth the hassle of disconnecting it at home and reconnecting it there. But for general travel or for just a weekend the Fire Stick is good enough. It's cheap, tiny, light, and is generally decent.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Apple TV, but I also have an Amazon Fire TV Stick.

For home I use the Apple TV as it's just far, far better. And if I'm going to watch my daughter's cats for a week or so while she's away I'll bring that with me as it's worth the hassle of disconnecting it at home and reconnecting it there. But for general travel or for just a weekend the Fire Stick is good enough. It's cheap, tiny, light, and is generally decent.
I’ll also add, I have an Amazon echo. Which syncs well w my stick.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I’ll also add, I have an Amazon echo. Which syncs well w my stick.
Funny, I have 3 Firesticks (2 for TVs and one for Travel). I have one TV with both Firestick and Roku ($25) and one TV with Firestick and Chromecast. I use my Roku the most, because it's more robust than Firestick and for casting it's also compatible with Airplay, which is more robust than chromecast. I ususally pay the Apple premium but I don't see much advantage in this case.

Reactions: 413Blue and adam
Funny, I have 3 Firesticks (2 for TVs and one for Travel). I have one TV with both Firestick and Roku ($25) and one TV with Firestick and Chromecast. I use my Roku the most, because it's more robust than Firestick and for casting it's also compatible with Airplay, which is more robust than chromecast. I ususally pay the Apple premium but I don't see much advantage in this case.
My tv is Roku. And i have fire stick & chromecast. Only reason i have chromecast is to stream my oculus. I usually go all apple too. Have iPad pro, Mac book, phones, watch…. But i got the first Apple TV when it came out and didn’t like the interface and limited apps.

But i got the first Apple TV when it came out and didn’t like the interface and limited apps.
It's improved a lot and the apps have multiplied, but if you're happy with your setup no reason to switch. I'll also note that the Apple YTTV app is routinely and harshly criticized, though I've no idea whether their apps for other devices are better.

Reactions: adam
We have a dedicated streaming thread.
Didn't know that, thanks mgarbowski mgarbowski -- I mentioned it here because there was quite a bit of soccer on it, including a Fubo channel and beIN as well. But I don't know how they work or how many live games you can get.

Last night I watched a replay of Celtic v. Real Madrid in the Champions League from last November on Real Madrid's own channel.

Reactions: mgarbowski
It's the time of year when I end up blocking several insignificant twitter account who needlessly put "nycfc" in their name or handle, then clog my searches for NYCFC news with completely irrelevant tweets about whatever.
Then there's still no news.
OTOH, I'm starting to admire the nycfc.source account more and more because he keeps having to deal with randos who just want to argue with him over complete nonsense and he remains mostly patient and rational in the face of it.

All Ian Joy tweets about now is gambling tips. He used to speak from his heart. It aligned with his work, but never was subsumed to it. Now everything he says about any game is through the lens of enticing people to gamble, and as a result, you can no longer tell if he really believes anything he says. It's pathetic, boring and sad. I just unfollowed because I haven't seen him say anything interesting in at least a couple of months.

Gambling is like Crossfit and Veganism. You want to do it, do it. But it's the most boring topic to anyone not involved.

All Ian Joy tweets about now is gambling tips. He used to speak from his heart. It aligned with his work, but never was subsumed to it. Now everything he says about any game is through the lens of enticing people to gamble, and as a result, you can no longer tell if he really believes anything he says. It's pathetic, boring and sad. I just unfollowed because I haven't seen him say anything interesting in at least a couple of months.

Gambling is like Crossfit and Veganism. You want to do it, do it. But it's the most boring topic to anyone not involved.
I really would have taken you for a CrossFiting vegan. Who knew?

Not disagreeing with you at all, but having recently lost his long-standing job a couple of months ago, well, can't blame him. Doesn't mean I have to watch it though.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Not disagreeing with you at all, but having recently lost his long-standing job a couple of months ago, well, can't blame him. Doesn't mean I have to watch it though.
He has some kind of deal with PointsBet, so most likely it has something to do with that. Trying to make a few bucks. It is a little sad, though. It can't be easy on him at the moment.

He keeps it off his Instagram account, though. All family stuff.

EDIT: Just checked again and he does have something today in the "stories" thing on his Instagram (not on the main page). Apparently, he has some kind of PointsBet show. I found this on YouTube:

Last edited:
Freezing Stone Cold GIF by Black Luck

Me at work today. If you have to go outside today, bundle up friends

Me at work today. If you have to go outside today, bundle up friends
Ow. I'm looking forward to not going out today until maybe late afternoon when temps should be back up to mid-20s.
Yup. Woke up to broken furnace. Fortunately I have a fireplace and several pieces of wooden furniture.
Oh no. The two most annoying things to break in your house are the furnace and hot water heater. Good luck; glad you have the fireplace.