Patrick Vieira Press Conference Thread

A few takeaways from the Citizens meet & greet:

Vieira wants a team that is determined to win, not just try not to loose.
He expects the DPs to mentor the younger players.
His greatest takeaway from being part of the Arsenal's Invincibles was that they were like a family - he wants NYCFC to be that way.
Plans to play a 4-3-3 but isn't set to it. Likes 4 in the back with 1 DM and also 3 in the back with 2 DM. For him it's more about players expressing themselves via assignments/tactics rather than a set formation.
Harrison brings attributes that the team lacked last year: speed and the ability to play outside and go 1-v-1
Plans on being more of the calm Vieira rather than the animated/energetic Vieira on the sideline, but it did take him a moment to answer.
Said that NYC expects a winner and the goal is to win something this year - I took that to mean they will take the US Open cup seriously.
He can't comment on last year's tactics/etc, but too many people point to giving up goals as being a problem of the defense, when it's a team problem. The Midfield may not have protected the defense and the forwards may not have pressed the attack. He said he's watched every game from last season.
Vieira is also tall - like crazy tall for soccer player. I cannot imagine going against him in the middle of the field.

Don't remember too much else. Stayed drinking until pretty much everybody else from the event left so my buddy and I were the last men standing per se.... when really we were just duped into drinking $5 Heinekens and were too stupid to not order food.

Last edited:
Claudio looks scared. Job security?
Claudio showed up to the Citizens Q&A at the very very end, said hello to PV, and literally 30 secs later took off, probably to go to the Third Rail Q&A. It was the biggest tease possible - rather disappointing that he wasn't there from the beginning.

Reactions: Kjbert
And so..It begins :cool:

As for PV it struck me that he´s rather charming but have a way of looking at you that made it clear why he was the captain of the team when he played with the invincibles

A few takeaways from the Citizens meet & greet:

Vieira wants a team that is determined to win, not just try not to loose.
He expects the DPs to mentor the younger players.
His greatest takeaway from being part of the Arsenal's Invincibles was that they were like a family - he wants NYCFC to be that way.
Plans to play a 4-3-3 but isn't set to it. Likes 4 in the back with 1 DM and also 3 in the back with 2 DM. For him it's more about players expressing themselves via assignments/tactics rather than a set formation.
Harrison brings attributes that the team lacked last year: speed and the ability to play outside and go 1-v-1
Plans on being more of the calm Vieira rather than the animated/energetic Vieira on the sideline, but it did take him a moment to answer.
Said that NYC expects a winner and the goal is to win something this year - I took that to mean they will take the US Open cup seriously.
He can't comment on last year's tactics/etc, but too many people point to giving up goals as being a problem of the defense, when it's a team problem. The Midfield may not have protected the defense and the forwards may not have pressed the attack. He said he's watched every game from last season.
Vieira is also tall - like crazy tall for soccer player. I cannot imagine going against him in the middle of the field.

Don't remember too much else. Stayed drinking until pretty much everybody else from the event left so my buddy and I were the last men standing per se.... when really we were just duped into drinking $5 Heinekens and were too stupid to not order food.
About to watch it today, but appreciate the quick summary here. The one thing I really like seeing is that he has already watched every game from last year.

EDIT: Finished the video, Claudio said that all roster decisions, players coming in and out are made after speaking with the coaching staff. They're also looking to build a team that is suited to play against the teams they play more, i.e. Eastern Conference foes. As stated elsewhere on Twitter, Man City EDS loanees are not going to be used to build the roster but rather fill it out if necessary.
This is exactly how it should be. Good to hear this straight from Reyna, especially with PV there, so as to avoid confusion. There seemed to be a lot of confusion last year over who had more control over the roster, Reyna or JK. Obviously the coach needs to have some input, but it has to come on Reyna to be the one pulling the trigger.

Last edited:
I thought be came across very well and it was good to hear him say he would be expecting more from Mix and Poku, and pushing them to deliver more. That is what good managers do. They challenge players to show the desire that they want to play for the club and be successful.

As Patrick said, the way the roster is made up may be different, but it is still football, with 11 against 11.

Anyone able to translate the French portions of the interview?

I struggle somewhat with translating spoken French - especially when it's spoken at speed by a native speaker. However, for the first question he seems to have been asked something along the lines of whether he planned on taking anything from the styles of managers he's worked with in the past, to which he responds by mentioning various managers he's worked with in the past but ultimately says he thinks it's important for him to have his own identity as a manager. The second one I struggled with more but it started with him being told that Zidane had wished him good luck and him returning the compliment, and then something I couldn't quite make out but I believe was to do with asking him whether he thought he would have the same experience managing NYCFC as Zidane would have managing Real, which he seemed to be typically evasive (as all people involved in football are) about by emphasising what he took from the experience being more important - or something. I'm not really sure on that last one. I had to re-listen to it a good ten times or more, and even then there were sections I could make nothing out from.