Pirlo

Ulrich

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Nov 5, 2015
I'm assuming his knee is a problem a day later once swelling set in. Has there been any news online about his condition, or was it brought up in the after-match presser? I cannot imagine he's thrilled today with the lack of protection shown by the refs - I'd like to think the club has sent a video of the tackles to the league office and ref association - his career could have been ended yesterday.

Reactions: Madz and Kjbert
I'm assuming his knee is a problem a day later once swelling set in. Has there been any news online about his condition, or was it brought up in the after-match presser? I cannot imagine he's thrilled today with the lack of protection shown by the refs - I'd like to think the club has sent a video of the tackles to the league office and ref association - his career could have been ended yesterday.
Oh please. Career ender?

He got scraped with studs on the knee. It had to hurt, but to call it a potential career-ender is silly.

Oh please. Career ender?

He got scraped with studs on the knee. It had to hurt, but to call it a potential career-ender is silly.

When that knee belongs to a 37 year old, it's usually a little more serious. Just ask Frank and his calf. And a serious knee injury would pretty much end his career.

Oh please. Career ender?

The problem wasn't that it was studs to the knee. It was contact to the side of the knee. Most knee injuries occur when the knee moves sideways not forward/backward like it's supposed to do. If his foot was planted and he took that impact it would be a high chance of a tear of some sort. Not because of studs but because of weight coming down and the knee moving sideways. That's why pirlo made some nasty plays himself (elbow to chin) after the fact and was very animated. That could of been much much worse.
I've never heard of someone tearing something in their knee by running. But I have friends who have torn multiple times playing football/rugby and taking side impacts or when making a cut.

Does someone point me to when this happened so I can find it on the DVR without watching the rest of the fiasco? I remember the event but not the timing.

Reactions: Kjbert
He got much worse from Francesco Totti in his Juventus days. He was walking and running ok afterward! As always my concern for him goes to him first and not as just a player! He had his boy Alessandro Matri in town on a visit for his birthday this past thursday i suspect they may have partied a bit much! On way or another news will get out. But My Andrea has his Father and the Wine to look forward to plus God know's what else options in endorsements that comes his way! Nobody or nothing will ever threaten That Class of his! Not even me to those on this forum who've labeled me his stupid stalker!! He and Me are just fine as we are!!

Saw the replay. studs up. How it wasn't a yellow is beyond me. In some places around the world, that's a red because it was studs up.

Saw the replay. studs up. How it wasn't a yellow is beyond me. In some places around the world, that's a red because it was studs up.
Studs up knee level is always a red, even in the EPL which is a physical league. This ref & linesmen shouldn't get another game for a very long time.

It was egregious. And there was no question that he was hurt and not hollywooding. It was like the ref was afraid to make a big call in a big game. Really bizarre.

Studs up knee level is always a red, even in the EPL which is a physical league. This ref & linesmen shouldn't get another game for a very long time.

The second Villa offsides happened right in front of me -- I was right on the line there. No chance that was offsides. It wasn't even close. The first one was debatable, but the second one was ridiculous how poor that decision was.

Somebody bring up that quote from an MLS player talking about Pirlo that he was going to "run and hit him for 90 minutes" (from the MLS player survey earlier this year on overrated/underrated players).

Who wants to bet that it was McCarty or another one of the RB players, because that is what they did. I swear it was as if the players wanted to scalp Pirlo to show how tough they were.

The other issue is that MLS is going around preaching that they are gonna crack down on these hack plays and this didn't warrant a yellow? I think JayH JayH is right about him being afraid to make game changing calls in a big game. It's one thing to let the players play (which I'm for) but it's another thing to allow hacks to have at it.

People will hate this, but MLS is still in a position where you need to protect your stars. Interesting to see what they do about this after the fact.

Reactions: Madz
Between that and the hands on Matarrita's neck I will be very disappointed if Lloyd Sam does not face disciplinary action.

It looks bad for the team to publicly complain after a loss like that but I certainly hope they are expressing their displeasure with the officiating through the official channels.