Pirlo

There's a very small percentage of young players with recognizable names that would come here. I think the best tactic is find that 25-29 year old riding the bench on an elite team and give him the opportunity. For the American player, the younger the better. The only position I would sign a veteran "older" DP is at GK or a target-man striker. Those roles tend to be more universal whether it's a crap league or a top league.

Pirlo wasn't out of line with his comments...he was asked about the differences and gave his honest opinion. A 12 year old would say the same things when comparing leagues...so it's not some shocking secret. If I was watching this team for the first time and had to watch Shelton dribble into people or Mendoza not be able to cross or Saunders in general or the way we play out of the back like kids or Lopez having no touch on the ball...the list goes on and on...I'd turn the game off. This isn't about watching good soccer...it's about being apart of something and hoping the league gets better. We have MLS and we try to make it work.

I watch all the leagues, but mainly watch Serie A. There are a ton of highly skilled young players in Serie A or B that maybe can't start for the big clubs there, but sure the hell would kill it here. Same thing with the other big leagues throughout the world. Those are the players to get.

We need to stop trying or pretending to be a top league and worry more about being a good league right now.

Teams like Columbus, New England and Colorado will focus on unknown players and cherry pick those younger guys (Doyle in Colorado is a good example). Good for them.

That will never fly here. It's not enough to win in NYC. People here are Jersey Fuckers. Sorry.

- Gio at least deserved a spot in the prelim squad.

- Conte is overrated. Allegri has taken Juve to a higher level then he ever did.

- Im expecting Italy to miss out on the second round.

well at least we know he will be available for more games....get the most of his DP spot.

with new format three points probably gets you thru.

- Gio at least deserved a spot in the prelim squad.

- Conte is overrated. Allegri has taken Juve to a higher level then he ever did.

- Im expecting Italy to miss out on the second round.

Totally agree. Allegri is the most underrated manager in Europe right now. If you look at how he had to rebuild that time in a matter of months last summer, suffer through a miserable start to the season and then go on to win the league by 20 (?) points? Good on him. What a manager.

This is the worst Italy team of my lifetime. Conte will fail at Chelsea.

The 1H of Orlando City v Philadelphia was a good example of what Pirlo was talking about; an aimless track meet with really poor first touches and sloppy passes. Kaka even missed a PK.

Reactions: Kjbert
The 1H of Orlando City v Philadelphia was a good example of what Pirlo was talking about; an aimless track meet with really poor first touches and sloppy passes. Kaka even missed a PK.

If you want an easy example of what Pirlo is talking about, watch the first touch of a guy like Pirlo vs. a guy like Tommy McNamara. Pirlo receives the ball and he knows where it is going. It lands softly at his feet. McNamara takes a stab at it and dribbles aimlessly.

In watching the USMNT game last night, there was a marked difference in the first touch of guys who "grew up" in Europe like Jones, Johnson, Bradley and Pulisic and the Homegrown Americans like Zardes and Yedlin.

Reactions: NYCFCP and CCMore
If you want an easy example of what Pirlo is talking about, watch the first touch of a guy like Pirlo vs. a guy like Tommy McNamara. Pirlo receives the ball and he knows where it is going. It lands softly at his feet. McNamara takes a stab at it and dribbles aimlessly.

In watching the USMNT game last night, there was a marked difference in the first touch of guys who "grew up" in Europe like Jones, Johnson, Bradley and Pulisic and the Homegrown Americans like Zardes and Yedlin.
Zardes was a horror to watch... So many chances killed because he can't receive a ball.

Americans have typically been weak in the first touch, that's true, although I might take issue with your characterization of Pulisic as not home grown. He's only been in Germany for a little over a year.

Americans have typically been weak in the first touch, that's true, although I might take issue with your characterization of Pulisic as not home grown. He's only been in Germany for a little over a year.

Then I apologize.

Let's take it a step further then. The guys that leave for Europe instead of going to college for 4 years (stretch here, but let's use Pulisic and Yedlin as the examples) see their games grow in a very short amount of time. The difference for Yedlin and Pulisic in just one year is astounding.

Reactions: Ulrich
With this Pirlo our team plays with 10 players.....

Let me rephrase that for you...

With this Pirlo, it feels like we are playing with 10 players cause most of the team doesn't know how to run off the ball or accept a pass.

Sure you can say he's too slow, but I don't care about that. Let's be real here. The guys 37 and can play 90' but he's never been a speed guy...ever. Besides, Shelton is fast and lately would have trouble dribbling through a cone course. I've seen the old man hustle more than half the team lately. Red Bulls withstanding, he's actually played better the last few games out. Saying his 81.4% passing rate on 56.7 passes a game is like a man down is really not accurate imo.

Let me rephrase that for you...

With this Pirlo, it feels like we are playing with 10 players cause most of the team doesn't know how to run off the ball or accept a pass.

Sure you can say he's too slow, but I don't care about that. Let's be real here. The guys 37 and can play 90' but he's never been a speed guy...ever. Besides, Shelton is fast and lately would have trouble dribbling through a cone course. I've seen the old man hustle more than half the team lately. Red Bulls withstanding, he's actually played better the last few games out. Saying his 81.4% passing rate on 56.7 passes a game is like a man down is really not accurate imo.

Thank you. Guy is on another planet out there and the guys around don't know how to play with him.