Section1Guy

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Apr 22, 2014
White Plains, NY
www.msgvarsity.com
Hey everyone,

So I work for a high school sports network and I've been involved with high school sports since I was playing baseball and football myself. I haven't played soccer since I was six. Anyway, all of that turned me into enough of a personality that people give a crap about what I have to say. Weird.

I do a high school and general pro/college sports show live on the radio (WFAS AM) on Sundays, and with my co-hosts, we started a mens interest podcast that we record on Friday afternoons. It's a little more open forum, comedy, pop culture, etc...

My long boring point is this. On Friday, we're going to do an hour of NYCFC.

JGriff217 JGriff217 and I are both season ticket holders. He's a Chelsea fan. He played soccer through high school. Other that that, we're not exactly the Soccer Morning Show. We're comfortable in studio, likable( I think?), and usually funny. I'm hoping this won't be a show meant for non-soccer fans. We have a third co-host who isn't a soccer guy at all. We'll see how it goes.

So here's the deal. This is completely unofficial. This isn't Third Rail sanctioned despite being a Third Rail member/board member. We just crave more NYCFC talk. I'm sure you do too. So respond with topics and ideas regarding what you want to hear from us this week.

We can talk David Villa, NYCFC's place in MLS, NYCFC impact on American soccer, maybe an interview if we can land someone. Should we talk supporters group? What do you want to hear three average guys talk about for like 40 minutes?

Respond below. Hopefully we kick ass! If you're into stuff like giving out fake oscars for the best guy movies of all time or movie scenarios or anything that 20-30 something year old guys are usually into... I can shoot you the link to some of our better episodes.

Great idea! I'd say just be yourselves and be honest. Don't try to be pro's about the sport. I think listeners will identify with the fact that you are newer to the sport, newer to the league but still an eager fan of NYCFC. It'll be fun to follow you and your co-host journey through your new found passion.

In terms of topics:
  • Your take on the fan support/interest for the team so far
  • What you and your co-host personally expect from being a fan in NYCFC
  • Predictions regarding the next DP
  • Interesting facts about David Villa people may not know

Definitely get Chance to do a phone-in to introduce fans to Third Rail. Maybe see if Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan would want talk briefly about NYCFC Social as well. Perhaps NYCFC_Dan NYCFC_Dan too?

Just put a spotlight on what the fans are doing to mobilize.

Reactions: JGriff217
I'd be interested in your views about Yankee Stadium. Surfing the 'net it seems to me more non NYCFC fans are up in arms over YS than NYCFC fans are. Admittedly I'd label my friends and I more as casuals than hard core, but we couldn't care less the team is playing there.

I'm happy to come on if you'd like. And I'm not upset if you don't. If not now, maybe later if you run out of desirable guests. Just whatever I can do to help spread the word and try to build excitement.

Unfortunately I work Friday 11-10 but I'm more than happy to allow you to use the forum as a way of reaching out to viewers.

Moved to Supporters Den. It's not News/Rumor related and SD is a more active section so you'll see more response.

I'm happy to come on if you'd like. And I'm not upset if you don't. If not now, maybe later if you run out of desirable guests. Just whatever I can do to help spread the word and try to build excitement.

For this one Midas, it's just gonna be the three hosts. We'll see how it goes. Right now, this is a one-off thing. Eventually the Third Rail will have a regular show that we will blow out of the box. This is kinda just to whet the appetites a bit.

If its any good, then absolutely, I'll start bringing people on in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately I work Friday 11-10 but I'm more than happy to allow you to use the forum as a way of reaching out to viewers.

Moved to Supporters Den. It's not News/Rumor related and SD is a more active section so you'll see more response.
That one's on me Dan, I suggested he post here since the Podcast will be NYCFC-centric.

Hey everyone,

So I work for a high school sports network and I've been involved with high school sports since I was playing baseball and football myself. I haven't played soccer since I was six. Anyway, all of that turned me into enough of a personality that people give a crap about what I have to say. Weird.

I do a high school and general pro/college sports show live on the radio (WFAS AM) on Sundays, and with my co-hosts, we started a mens interest podcast that we record on Friday afternoons. It's a little more open forum, comedy, pop culture, etc...

My long boring point is this. On Friday, we're going to do an hour of NYCFC.

JGriff217 JGriff217 and I are both season ticket holders. He's a Chelsea fan. He played soccer through high school. Other that that, we're not exactly the Soccer Morning Show. We're comfortable in studio, likable( I think?), and usually funny. I'm hoping this won't be a show meant for non-soccer fans. We have a third co-host who isn't a soccer guy at all. We'll see how it goes.

So here's the deal. This is completely unofficial. This isn't Third Rail sanctioned despite being a Third Rail member/board member. We just crave more NYCFC talk. I'm sure you do too. So respond with topics and ideas regarding what you want to hear from us this week.

We can talk David Villa, NYCFC's place in MLS, NYCFC impact on American soccer, maybe an interview if we can land someone. Should we talk supporters group? What do you want to hear three average guys talk about for like 40 minutes?

Respond below. Hopefully we kick ass! If you're into stuff like giving out fake oscars for the best guy movies of all time or movie scenarios or anything that 20-30 something year old guys are usually into... I can shoot you the link to some of our better episodes.

great Idea, I need more NYFC talk, im not getting enough!!!.

The stadium is a topic that Im itching to hear about.
Im scared.

Do you launch the show in podcast form so we can listen to it after the fact? If so, what is the name of the show and where can we grab it?

I'd be interested in your views about Yankee Stadium. Surfing the 'net it seems to me more non NYCFC fans are up in arms over YS than NYCFC fans are. Admittedly I'd label my friends and I more as casuals than hard core, but we couldn't care less the team is playing there.

One of the things I want to discuss the most as I went to the Chelsea game last year.

Do you launch the show in podcast form so we can listen to it after the fact? If so, what is the name of the show and where can we grab it?

We do. We have two shows that we do, one serious one based on our job, high school sports in the Westchester, NY area, and one that's more fun, pop-culture, silly, etc. They are both on the same podomatic account:

http://macd.podomatic.com/

Here myself and the third host Chris interviewed a future NBA player:

http://macd.podomatic.com/entry/2014-05-11T11_18_17-07_00

These two are silly ones with the three of us that are pretty funny:

http://macd.podomatic.com/entry/2014-03-28T14_31_48-07_00

http://macd.podomatic.com/entry/2014-01-24T14_58_33-08_00

There are certainly other soccer topics to discuss but just wanted to mention this since you might have some of your own thoughts on it. I think you should have some discussion about soccer fans, soccer community and overall the game day experience of attending a soccer game.

Other sports have some level of fanatical behavior especially football but you don't see a group of 200+ Jets fans traveling together to an Eagles match. A group of 5 guys might fill an SUV but you don't see a caravan of cars or buses going which you get with soccer.

In MLS there is talk about the rivalry between Seattle and Portland but there is no doubt it is enhanced with fans in those stadiums. The whole stadium is chanting "PTFC" in Portland, not just the supporters sections. Same with Seattle fans being loud which creates such an electric atmosphere. I think you can cover some of these things or give your own experiences with attending games.

Good Luck with your show

There are certainly other soccer topics to discuss but just wanted to mention this since you might have some of your own thoughts on it. I think you should have some discussion about soccer fans, soccer community and overall the game day experience of attending a soccer game.

Other sports have some level of fanatical behavior especially football but you don't see a group of 200+ Jets fans traveling together to an Eagles match. A group of 5 guys might fill an SUV but you don't see a caravan of cars or buses going which you get with soccer.

In MLS there is talk about the rivalry between Seattle and Portland but there is no doubt it is enhanced with fans in those stadiums. The whole stadium is chanting "PTFC" in Portland, not just the supporters sections. Same with Seattle fans being loud which creates such an electric atmosphere. I think you can cover some of these things or give your own experiences with attending games.

Good Luck with your show

See next post!

Just finished it, on behalf of the Forums, thanks for the kind words! I think the show was very well done. Perfect introduction to the sport and the team. Easy to digest for newcomers. You seemed to have touched all the milestones thus far. Can't wait for the next show.

Reactions: Section1Guy