Poll: Do You Care About Branding

How important is it for NYCFC to be a separate brand from MCFC

• Total voters
A lot, but not all, fans hoped for more. They could have done more, while still clearly staying within the MC brand.

Couldn't agree more. 100% spot on.

This jersey isn't bad, but it should have been something more unique than what it is.

In all honesty if this particular shirt was released during Jersey Week as our 2nd kit or an alternate it wouldn't be an issue with me. But as an inaugural jersey it just doesn't have me reaching for my American Express card.

Very disappointed with this shirt. I've already decided to sell my season tickets, I can see where this is going and I don't like it. I was more than comfortable with some heavy MCFC influence on the shirts, but a F**king copy? C'mon guys.

I'll still support this club, but this turns me off enough that I won't be making the 5 hour round trip 17 times a year.

Reactions: BxLio91
I would love to know from the folks who are so against MCFC having any influence on NYCFC, what are you so worried about? What do you think will happen if NYCFC's jersey looks too much like MCFC's? That NYCFC won't build it's own identity? Who says they won't over time? NYCFC has no history, they have to start from somewhere. This is only the first jersey.

I don't think calling the club MC2 is helpful. You can think the club should have had a different shirt, but come on. Calling it MC2? Why are you making fun of a club you support?
Because they invited it.
But to be nice, in all honesty, I do very much like the Inaugural Season Badge/Logo.

The second the team was announced and with man city involved I knew it practically meant it would most likely be close to farm team I hoped not but as te days passed by and announcements were made lampard was going to go on loan to man city and villa to Melbourne I knew that yep we are part of this man city branding. Would I prefer it to be different ? Yes but it doesn't turn me off.
I like few individuals I have spoken too outside any message boards is that they are happy that I can finally see a team in the city that is just a subway ride away and that's awesome. And so far they are also trying to get to communities at least for now.

As for branding, unfortunately for some that is just the way the game is done in this day and age not only with man city or red bull but other teams too, atletico madrid even has a club in India calls atletico same colors and such. Hell, even bayern Munich has opened an office here in NYC specifially to "expand their bayern Munich brand" they haven't bought an MLS team but they are pushing to expand the brand. Again the whole brand expansion is just they way top clubs from Europe are doing it, in different forms, but they are doing it.

Does this sicken me that I'll stop supporting the club before the first ball is kicked for nycfc? Not at all I like the face I got a club to be able to see here. And if there are those that despise this and never want to support nycfc because of the links to man city and abandon ship then that's fine, it is after all, your choice.

Onto seeing what players we draft and get to put on the field for the inaugural season :)

I think the kit launch today has severely discredited much of what the club has been doing so far. The shirt is an obvious replica of Manchester City's home kit, with the crests swapped and an Adidas style. It's so disheartening to see that NYCFC seems nothing more than a furthering of the City brand, rather than adopting it's own unique style that is inherently New York.

I genuinely hope that a majority of the supporters feel the same way and will take issue with the club for this error. While everything was going so well for NYCFC so far, the kit reveal has proven shambolic and given me massive questions as a supporter even before the first kick.
If a kit is making you rethink your support, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Peace

Not everyone is a Man City supporter as well. A lot of people were hoping for a unique identity. I don't think you understand.
I understand completely. Which is why today's kit reveal was exactly what I expected. As I said, if a kit is making someone rethink their support, they can go kick rocks

It is what it is. Just hope we get an away that's not a Manchester copy, Lampard here on time for training camp and a strong roster. Because we today's event, we can't afford to be mediocre.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
honestly don't even want to be a supporter now.

There I said it. I don't want us to be a copy of another club. This jersey release is a joke.

You will be missed... Oh sorry no you won't. If you can't get past this how do you intend on dealing with things like losses and injuries?

Reactions: Gene and USAfan6
I'm no MCFC fan, but I have to say that if you're selling season tickets or ending your support of NYCFC altogether because of the kit then thanks for coming and get the hell out. The club will be better off without your fickle support.

I prefer it but it isn't important. I don't root for clubs based on what their jersey's look like.

Reactions: Drainyoo
CFG has an 80% ownership of the team.
Welcome to Single-Entity! CFG and the Yankees have ownership stake in the whole league now and operate the MLS franchise in NYC for the League.

CFG owns 80% of NYCFC's seat on the MLS Board of Governors. Who owns the copyright for New York City Football Club? Quick hint: Its not CFG or Yankees.