Popular Sports In The U.s.

PAOKNYC 4 Life

Registered
Donor
Dec 28, 2014
We all know that the 5 most popular sports in the US are 1-NFL, 2-MLB, 3-NBA, 4-NHL and 5 MLS.
Do you guys think five or ten years from now MLS can move to number 4 or 3??
I believe it can, what do you guys think?

Already have better attendance records than NHL and NBA
Really? That's impressive. I swear I saw even NCAA basketball is larger than MLS, could be completely wrong though.

I can't believe MLB is still number 2, they are losing fans, the game is too long and most of the ballparks always look empty during regular season.

The thing is there are a hell of a lot more baseball games than soccer games in a season. Fans can't make every game, but they still can sell more tickets overall while selling fewer for each individual game.

It could theoretically pass any of those but that would require soccer specific stadiums too. There is so much to grow before MLS can start truly competing with those leagues.

Television deals are a huge catalyst in pushing popularity of sports, much more so than asses in seats. In this regard, MLS new 8 year deal with Espn, Fox and Univision is going to be key if the sport continues steady growth or not.
If this deal flops and there is no interest in renewing a deal with increased value and sponsor interest, viewership will stagnate. I can see overtaking NHL, but not the big 3 within at least the next 20 years or more.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10 and Gene
Step one is to increase the salary cap, so we can compete with Liga MX for players. Doesn't even have to be the same salary as them, but close and the quality of life in USA wins out over Mexico. That immediately jumps us up a tier into the top 12 leagues in the world.

I would rather see a salary cap increase than extra DPs.

Step one is to increase the salary cap, so we can compete with Liga MX for players. Doesn't even have to be the same salary as them, but close and the quality of life in USA wins out over Mexico. That immediately jumps us up a tier into the top 12 leagues in the world.

I would rather see a salary cap increase than extra DPs.
I was just thinking today, why don't we just buy all the best players in Mexico? No Mexican clubs pay any players more than 3 million last I knew. We could do it already.

Instead, its quite the opposite with MLS, I believe, essentially refusing to give any money to LigaMX.

After this new CBA, we probably won't be far from surpassing all leagues in North and South America in wages. When that happens, the league will take a noticeable surge up as players from South America and Mexico will be flocking here looking to get a better chance to go to Europe.

I can't believe MLB is still number 2, they are losing fans, the game is too long and most of the ballparks always look empty during regular season.

Honestly, I still don't understand why Football is so popular. I was an athlete growing up, played everything, and I just don't get the obsession with it. It's such a boring, and frankly, dumb game. And now we're seeing how much damage it's actually doing to the players.

But then again, we also live in a country that loves Nascar, another dumb-ass sport.

Soccer, imho, is the greatest sport. Only us dumb Americans haven't realized this. The rest of the world has.

I'm also a big baseball fan. It is boring to watch on TV, and the games are long, but every moment of the game is a war. So many things are happening at any given moment that most people don't realize by watching on TV.