Predict Nycfc's First Game Location And Opponent

A friendly against a European team in the middle of their season is pretty much out of the question. They just don't have space in their schedules. Teams like MCFC have twice as many games per season to play as NYCFC will have.
Unless the team is on their winter break (which is any team from Europe excluding England and Portugal).

Someone like Bayern or Juventus would be interesting.

A friendly against a European team in the middle of their season is pretty much out of the question. They just don't have space in their schedules. Teams like MCFC have twice as many games per season to play as NYCFC will have.
maybe united as they are not in Europe and May not be in cups long either. ;-)

It will be against a small team. Ie Not LA, Philly, DC etc. nor will it be Portland or Seattle. Why? The first game will be all but a guaranteed sell out. They won't choose someone local to be swamped with opposing fans. At least that's the way I see it.

Wouldn't want to risk losing to them in first game would be a horrendous permanent stain on club records. Its not something the club would ever be able to avenge.

As I've said before the people of New York deserve to have the first game at home. Infact new MLS teams should automatically get to play their first fixture at home. Its just common sense let the majority of fans be there at the clubs first game. Philadelphia didn't manage it but that was their own fault for not arranging any pre season home fixtures. Don't know how SOB felt about that.

Wouldn't want to risk losing to them in first game would be a horrendous permanent stain on club records.

As I've said before the people of New York deserve to have the first game at home. Infact new MLS teams should automatically get to play their first fixture at home. Its just common sense let the majority of fans be there at the clubs first game. Philadelphia didn't manage it but that was their own fault for not arranging any pre season home fixtures.

So do you want the first home game to be our first preseason game or are you referring to our first regular season game?

So do you want the first home game to be our first preseason game or are you referring to our first regular season game?

There's no guarantee with MLS unless the club have negotiated something we don't know about.

There's no guarantee with MLS unless the club have negotiated something we don't know about.

Well the Yankees don't start until the last week of April/first week of May so I assume our first few games would be home because after that it's going to be a scheduling nightmare

I think it could be someone like D.C or New England. I have no idea why though

If we are referring to our first home match, regardless of competition, I think it will be a friendly.

It could be a German, Dutch, or Italian side as they will be on winter break right after we begin full training.

I'll go with Hamburg as MCFC already have a good relationship with them, they'll want to get more exposure/revenue in the US after and a nearly disastrous 13/14 season, and they'll be comparable competition for the team.

If not them, a similar club.

Well the Yankees don't start until the last week of April/first week of May so I assume our first few games would be home because after that it's going to be a scheduling nightmare
This is the #1 issue with the schedule. The Damn Yankees.

But I agree a team like Chicago or Dallas might be a good big market team that won't be too much of a threat for a first home game, so how about them.

I'll go with Hamburg as MCFC already have a good relationship with them, they'll want to get more exposure/revenue in the US after and a nearly disastrous 13/14 season, and they'll be comparable competition for the team.

If not them, a similar club.

Screw HSV, bring on St. Pauli!!! :D

We won't be doing any international friendlies as our first game. Our first game will definitely be our first MLS game.

I think the networks will want something big (But not too big). It'll either be DC United, Seattle, or Toronto I think.

I think they'll save the LA Galaxy game for later....

We won't be doing any international friendlies as our first game. Our first game will definitely be our first MLS game.

I think the networks will want something big (But not too big). It'll either be DC United, Seattle, or Toronto I think.

I think they'll save the LA Galaxy game for later....

Why would we make our very first competitive match the season opener? Why would we avoid economic development opportunities?

Just curious of your reasoning. Also, I can't sleep so I wouldn't mind a good discussion.

Why would we make our very first competitive match the season opener? Why would we avoid economic development opportunities?

Just curious of your reasoning. Also, I can't sleep so I wouldn't mind a good discussion.
Two reasons, first most every other league in the world will be playing between January and March. Secondly, the team won't even be assembled til January. Why would they run off for a public match without really developing any kind of "team" mentality? There's just no time and no takers on either end.

Two reasons, first most every other league in the world will be playing between January and March. Secondly, the team won't even be assembled til January. Why would they run off for a public match without really developing any kind of "team" mentality? There's just no time and no takers on either end.

I've already listed the countries whose clubs play friendlies during their leagues' winter breaks, so that's not a hinderance (here is the Bundesliga clubs' winter break friendly schedule from last season).

And I would be very surprised if we've just filled the roster in January, with the season beginning in early March. Also, knowing the executive staff, they are always looking for economic development opportunities; having a club friendly would help with exposure, sponsorship, and business relationships.

It would just be very odd to make the very first competitive match in the clubs history the first match of the season. It is a risky strategy–generally, you want to first test your quality, tactics, and fitness in a competitive situation without the consequences.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan
Well actually besides not having a team of players yet, the other problem will be snow and super coldness of NYC in the winter. Most MLS teams head to Arizona, South Carolina or Florida for preseason tournaments starting in later Jan thru the end of Feb. Thats most likely the first time there will be friendly, preseason games.