Predict Nycfc's First Game Location And Opponent

Well actually besides not having a team of players yet, the other problem will be snow and super coldness of NYC in the winter. Most MLS teams head to Arizona, South Carolina or Florida for preseason tournaments starting in later Jan thru the end of Feb. Thats most likely the first time there will be friendly, preseason games.

That would not be an issue as I had always assumed any friendlies would not be played in NYC, anyway. The teams on winter breaks would want to go to a warm weather climate.

Kreis has said a few times that the team won't be assembled until January.

I think that is just conservative press talk. And even if ultimately true, nothing says a friendly could not be arranged toward the end of January.

Again, for several reasons, it would be very, very risky to make the first match (where the quality, tactics, and fitness of the team are tested) our first in the league. All of ours eggs in one basket and that sort of thing (intrasquad matches are not sufficient).

I'll stop arguing the point, though, as I seem to be in the minority.

If the first ever game the team played was a league game then even with the likes of Villa, Lampard and goodness knows who else you can bet the team would lose 6-0 or 7-0. You simply can't throw together a team which has played no team matches together and expect them to play up to the level of rivals. Two months of training together is not enough to bring a team up to match readiness in time for them to not embarrass themselves in their first fixture.

To me, it's virtually absolutely certain that NYCFC's very first game will be a friendly against a local team of USL-2 standard or perhaps lower. Even the very best teams in the world typically play a couple of friendlies against far lower-standard opposition to begin their pre-season each year. It allows players to get used to their roles and to where their teammates will be without the pressure of having to defend hard or having to fight to control the midfield.

If the first ever game the team played was a league game then even with the likes of Villa, Lampard and goodness knows who else you can bet the team would lose 6-0 or 7-0. You simply can't throw together a team which has played no team matches together and expect them to play up to the level of rivals. Two months of training together is not enough to bring a team up to match readiness in time for them to not embarrass themselves in their first fixture.

To me, it's virtually absolutely certain that NYCFC's very first game will be a friendly against a local team of USL-2 standard or perhaps lower. Even the very best teams in the world typically play a couple of friendlies against far lower-standard opposition to begin their pre-season each year. It allows players to get used to their roles and to where their teammates will be without the pressure of having to defend hard or having to fight to control the midfield.

I absolutely agree, though I don't think we would lose by such a heavy margin. I honestly could not understand the arguments otherwise.

I do think Hamburg (or lower Bundesliga/higher Bundesliga 2) or similar clubs would be a great friendly to test the squad. I imagine local opposition will also be arranged, as you suggested. I just see the executive team looking for media exposure outside of the US market, as well.

I'm sure they'll play a few friendlies before the season actually starts

As I previously stated, after a week or two of training as a team, they will travel to some place south and play in friendlies and even tournaments with other MLS clubs, minor league clubs and foreign clubs. All this will happen BEFORE first kick in March.

So now everyone agrees the first match will be a friendly?

That was fast. ;)
Maybe it's just me,but I thought the purpose of this thread was to predict which MLS club NYCFC will take on first in the 2015 season and where will it be (home/away)?

Maybe it's just me,but I thought the purpose of this thread was to predict which MLS club NYCFC will take on first in the 2015 season and where will it be (home/away)?

It was never established as to whether they meant league match or competitive match.

But, regardless, some were arguing against friendlies of any kind prior to the opening match, which is what I began debating.

Sure the club don't want the first game to be against some lower league non entity or someplace like Disney. Its vital it be one of two things. Either an exhibition (no such thing as the word friendly in my vocabulary) against reasonably prestigious opposition or MLS. After the comments about Yankees schedule people should probably be more confident first league game will be in NY. As it should be but considering the Philadelphia example common sense didn't come into play there.

Let me settle the debate since I am the resident psychic. The game will be at home. Why? Because baseball is not being played at home in March. So the Yankees won't need the field. Likely we will actually probably start off with multiple games in a row at home. Mostly against teams who need to be away for the start of their seasons. IE: New England, Montreal, Toronto, maybe even Colombus.

Reactions: einwindir
Sure the club don't want the first game to be against some lower league non entity or someplace like Disney. Its vital it be one of two things. Either an exhibition (no such thing as the word friendly in my vocabulary) against reasonably prestigious opposition or MLS. After the comments about Yankees schedule people should probably be more confident first league game will be in NY. As it should be but considering the Philadelphia example common sense didn't come into play there.
That's what I'm telling you. There is a high probability the first ever non-inter squad match will be a preseason friendly against either a minor league club, foreign or MLS club also training in some place like Disney.

And the first match of real meaning will be in March, against 1 of 20 options either in Yankees or more likely some place warmer.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC