RSL Postmatch

Here we go again. If I'm to look around for positives then we did look good in the first half. Unfortunately I had to sleep by half-time so I saw nothing of the second half so I'm not sure where it went wrong but for all of our first-half dominance we've just got to find a way to translate that into goals. We looked very good moving the ball around but once again struggles for clear opportunities - far too many times players just cutting back balls into the box despite there being three defenders between the crosser and anyone they could target; not enough looking for the right angles.

Here we go again. If I'm to look around for positives then we did look good in the first half. Unfortunately I had to sleep by half-time so I saw nothing of the second half so I'm not sure where it went wrong but for all of our first-half dominance we've just got to find a way to translate that into goals. We looked very good moving the ball around but once again struggles for clear opportunities - far too many times players just cutting back balls into the box despite there being three defenders between the crosser and anyone they could target; not enough looking for the right angles.
We had plenty of great opportunities, just awful finishing, back line and goalkeeping.

Reactions: NickA
One more observation: Villa tends to play a bit selfishly, right? He'll often try to beat two guys on the dribble and create his own shot, rather than set up a teammate. Not criticizing him, that's what we signed him to do.

But I noticed that twice in the early second half, Villa actually turned with the ball on the top of the 18 and looked for Harrison on his right, instead of ripping a shot into two defenders. One of those times he chipped the defense and almost got Harrison a clean look on goal. It's too early to tell for sure, but I think Villa may have found someone he trusts up front with him. I'm pretty excited about that.
Yep, I noticed the same and made a similar comment in the chat box.... He finally found someone he's willing to pass to.

Your and idiot.
Kreis had a better home record through 9 games last year than PV.

And, despite the team finishing in a 3-way tie for worst defense in the league last year, this season -- with the so-called 'better' defenders and formation -- PV is poised to shatter that number of goals allowed.

But yeah, just keep thinking PV is better.

Reactions: Kjbert
Who the hell decided that 50% of the time the play is long ball to KS19*?

*when he is on the pitch obv. 'Let's have Khiry win a header' was our #1 move vs. ORL and it became such once he came on last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kjbert
10 thoughts after sleeping on it:
  1. Love Harrison. His talent is just so obvious. Haven't ordered my new Harrison jersey yet only because I can't decide if I want blue or black.
  2. I said it last week and I'll say it again - Shelton is just kinda lazy. Sure, he doesn't always know where to be, and we've consistently seen that he's good with the ball but then doesn't know what to do with it. On top of those things, he just doesn't even seem to put forth much effort sometimes (even effort in the wrong direction, etc.). I saw it a lot vs. Orlando when he wasn't even trying to run down balls, and I saw it last night (e.g. in the 94th minute when RJ crosses with the outside of his right foot, nobody is on Shelton, and he just stands there in the box and watches the ball float by. Do SOMETHING. ANYTHING.)
  3. Still like Mix. Don't care what the haters say... so much better than Lopez. High effort, helps to create chances, and knows what he's doing more than Mikey. Kinda hoping that whatever Mikey's injury is lingers for a bit.
  4. Still think Poku is overrated and tired of hearing people thinking things will be better with Poku in there. Yeah, he's good with the ball.... but he's not good at much of anything else, and low effort.
  5. Have never seen Villa that bad. Saw a little of his poutiness last night... he needs to keep his head up and be a leader, even if he's having a bad day.
  6. Gonna cut Brillant some slack on the own goal. It was one play, and he's been very good this year (defensively and on set pieces). Still glad to have him back there over anyone else we have.
  7. Agree with lots of others that Iraola looks good at CDM. Feel pretty good about having both he and Bravo available there.
  8. Mendoza = meh. Guess he's better than the alternatives.
  9. Didn't like the subs... felt like we lost our two best players (of that game) and all our hustle last night when Mix and Jack went out. Knew it was over with Poku and Shelton on the field (see above).
  10. Back line of Matta, Hernandez, Brillant, RJ sounds good to me. As does a midfield of Pirlo, Bravo/Iraola, Mix. Add Villa and Harrison up top and this is a pretty good team. Gonna try to keep hope alive.

RSL scored 3 goals with 2 shots on target. NYCFC could have had a trash can in net. Let that sink in.

I know you can't blame Saunders for everything, but a key save would be nice. Remember when Rimando got his hand down on Villa's shot in the first 10 minutes? Would be nice to have a keeper do that. Watching Saunders throw himself at the ball is comical.

Iraola looked pretty smooth on the ball. I know PV is wedded to the 4-3-3, but why not at least try a 4-2-3-1 with Iraola and Bravo as the 2 DM's, and put Villa-Harrison on the wings with Mullins (Poku) as the CF. Put Mix/Pirlo/Lampard in the middle of Villa and Harrison.

Would be a much more MLS friendly (and YS friendly) lineup. The wings are useless with that small pitch.

10 thoughts after sleeping on it:
  1. Love Harrison. His talent is just so obvious. Haven't ordered my new Harrison jersey yet only because I can't decide if I want blue or black.
  2. I said it last week and I'll say it again - Shelton is just kinda lazy. Sure, he doesn't always know where to be, and we've consistently seen that he's good with the ball but then doesn't know what to do with it. On top of those things, he just doesn't even seem to put forth much effort sometimes (even effort in the wrong direction, etc.). I saw it a lot vs. Orlando when he wasn't even trying to run down balls, and I saw it last night (e.g. in the 94th minute when RJ crosses with the outside of his right foot, nobody is on Shelton, and he just stands there in the box and watches the ball float by. Do SOMETHING. ANYTHING.)
  3. Still like Mix. Don't care what the haters say... so much better than Lopez. High effort, helps to create chances, and knows what he's doing more than Mikey. Kinda hoping that whatever Mikey's injury is lingers for a bit.
  4. Still think Poku is overrated and tired of hearing people thinking things will be better with Poku in there. Yeah, he's good with the ball.... but he's not good at much of anything else, and low effort.
  5. Have never seen Villa that bad. Saw a little of his poutiness last night... he needs to keep his head up and be a leader, even if he's having a bad day.
  6. Gonna cut Brillant some slack on the own goal. It was one play, and he's been very good this year (defensively and on set pieces). Still glad to have him back there over anyone else we have.
  7. Agree with lots of others that Iraola looks good at CDM. Feel pretty good about having both he and Bravo available there.
  8. Mendoza = meh. Guess he's better than the alternatives.
  9. Didn't like the subs... felt like we lost our two best players (of that game) and all our hustle last night when Mix and Jack went out. Knew it was over with Poku and Shelton on the field (see above).
  10. Back line of Matta, Hernandez, Brillant, RJ sounds good to me. As does a midfield of Pirlo, Bravo/Iraola, Mix. Add Villa and Harrison up top and this is a pretty good team. Gonna try to keep hope alive.
Agree with everything except item #10..... I don't wanna play only 9 field players each game.... need another forward for the 433

Reactions: sbrylski
Possession is nice, but it means nothing if you do nothing with it...and we're doing nothing with it, unfortunately.
Actually you're comment isn't accurate or true..... the team is creating a boatload of shots with the possession. The fact that they aren't scoring off those shots isn't on the coaching staff, it's on the players, unless you wanna blame the coaches for not instructing them to shoot where the goalie isn't and then that would be valid.

Agree with everything except item #10..... I don't wanna play only 9 field players each game.... need another forward for the 433
Yeah. Left out Mendoza because he doesn't sound good to me, but couldn't think of anyone to list in his place. Feeling good about Villa and Harrison though!

Reactions: Ulrich
I'd buy a Harrison jersey. Even on the shit that is the infield sod he looked dangerous. He kept swapping with Mendoza to get firmer footing and he was a threat every time.

I dunno...we lost. When do we start embracing it and start the "You're not special, we lose every week" chants?