SAN ANTONIO FC and NEW YORK CITY FC announce partnership.

Not too shabby. Nice stadium, usually crowds over 6k, nice atmosphere. Not a bad place for our young'ns to get some game time....assuming we actually send anyone down to get some time.

They couldnt find a closer team? Then again, we never saw much back and forth movement with players and our affiliate when we had one.

Reactions: Kjbert
Maybe it wasn't in the plans. Then after seeing some of the talent they decided it would be in our best interest to secure an affiliate and sign/loan players there who we can't have on our roster.

I think the proximity is a small issue, the real big deal is the Spurs parent company and CFG working together which could be nothing, or be the real big deal of this partnership.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
They couldnt find a closer team? Then again, we never saw much back and forth movement with players and our affiliate when we had one.

man i wanted rochester since it was so close ( though i think NE has them) or what othermentioned: what about harrisburg city islanders ? i mean they have same colors and have "city" in the name

Reactions: adam
man i wanted rochester since it was so close ( though i think NE has them) or what othermentioned: what about harrisburg city islanders ? i mean they have same colors and have "city" in the name

Eventually there will be an NYCFC2. And close by.

Reactions: joe and Kjbert
I think the proximity is a small issue, the real big deal is the Spurs parent company and CFG working together which could be nothing, or be the real big deal of this partnership.

hmmm....maybe nothing....unless san antonio wants to use nycfc connections to get their MLS bid accepted? maybe some youth team collaboration in terms of tourneys etc

Maybe it wasn't in the plans. Then after seeing some of the talent they decided it would be in our best interest to secure an affiliate and sign/loan players there who we can't have on our roster.

MLS rules say you are supposed to have a USL affiliate. It wasn't really a case of thinking they might not bother - they were under pressure to get one arranged before the start of the season.

Reactions: adam and Kjbert
MLS rules say you are supposed to have a USL affiliate. It wasn't really a case of thinking they might not bother - they were under pressure to get one arranged before the start of the season.
Wasn't aware. Lots of talk here that we won't have one.

Weird, considering there is a MUCH closer unaffiliated USL clubs.
Which clubs?
Not all USL clubs are on equal footing budget wise. Some simply put a team on the field at a bare bones budget, while others such as San Antonio have a more in depth organization better suited to develop young players. Location really does not matter a whole ton unless we plan on shifting players back and forth constantly, which we haven't been doing. If they want just want to send a couple guys down for the season, or most of the season, a flight is not a big difference from bus ride.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
Eventually there will be an NYCFC2. And close by.

This is the conventional wisdom, and many MLS teams have done it.

But... why?

Running a USL team is usually a money-losing proposition. There is also very minimal movement between USL and MLS teams during the year. MLS rosters sizes are large enough to provide depth and flexibility in the event of injuries. Plus we have a summer transfer window.

If I'm Vieira or CFG, why do I care about keeping a 27 year old player in the organization who can't even make the top 25?

It seems to make more sense to keep a U-23 team (the LI Rough Riders) for academy graduates who weren't quite good enough to get signed at 18/19, or choose college and need to remain with the organization so we can keep rights on them. But by age 24, you're competing against all the top 17, 18, and 19 year olds in our academy for developmental spots at the end of our bench, and not likely to win them.

A full reserve team in a D2 league seems way too high cost/low reward.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
This is the conventional wisdom, and many MLS teams have done it.

But... why?

Running a USL team is usually a money-losing proposition. There is also very minimal movement between USL and MLS teams during the year. MLS rosters sizes are large enough to provide depth and flexibility in the event of injuries. Plus we have a summer transfer window.

If I'm Vieira or CFG, why do I care about keeping a 27 year old player in the organization who can't even make the top 25?

It seems to make more sense to keep a U-23 team (the LI Rough Riders) for academy graduates who weren't quite good enough to get signed at 18/19, or choose college and need to remain with the organization so we can keep rights on them. But by age 24, you're competing against all the top 17, 18, and 19 year olds in our academy for developmental spots at the end of our bench, and not likely to win them.

A full reserve team in a D2 league seems way too high cost/low reward.

depends....i think RB II have players i think 19+ so they can include them if they are not in college.....thats one benefit for a II team...have them under your coaches etc for a couple more years then breaking them into first team. and a full season is better than just may-Aug schedule

Looks like we found our place to send our SuperDraft picks that won't be making minutes on the field.

Also, given the distance from NYC, I think San Antonio FC was chosen as we got the best deal with them in terms of playing our players, formations, etc.

Last edited: