San Jose Quakes Avaya Stadium Nearly Completed. [photos]

The luxury boxes are usually the big expense in these new stadiums. They have 24 of them I think?

The luxury boxes are usually the big expense in these new stadiums. They have 24 of them I think?

Nah, luxury boxes are a minor expense compared to the big picture. SJE's stadium is so cheap because, although it does look nice, that's a very minimalist design. It's essentially just three stand being held up by scaffolding, plus a few shops serving as a concourse. There's no wall around the exterior, very little of the building is actually indoors, there's basically no roof to speak of, the entrances are just a heavy duty gate with a couple of staff huts. I'm not saying it's a bad stadium - as I said above, it does look like a nice place, but compare it with some serious stadia around the world and there's some major differences.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99 and Paul
interesting how first row is raised and set back all around

Nah, luxury boxes are a minor expense compared to the big picture. SJE's stadium is so cheap because, although it does look nice, that's a very minimalist design. It's essentially just three stand being held up by scaffolding, plus a few shops serving as a concourse. There's no wall around the exterior, very little of the building is actually indoors, there's basically no roof to speak of, the entrances are just a heavy duty gate with a couple of staff huts. I'm not saying it's a bad stadium - as I said above, it does look like a nice place, but compare it with some serious stadia around the world and there's some major differences.
It seems to be standard practice to build stadiums with extreme minimalism there because large Earthquakes are a given in that part of the country.

Same reason the Levi's stadium is extremely barebones just down the road.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. Looks more like a larger version of a highschool or college stadium than what we expect from most professional stadiums. With that said, it does look pretty nice.

PAOKNYC 4 Life PAOKNYC 4 Life $100m seems about right to me. Comparable in some ways to Toyota Park ($98m in 2004/$115m today adjusted for inflation) as compared to something like Red Bull Arena ($200m in 2006/$216 adjusted).

I saw a $400m figure in one article for an NYCFC stadium

Reactions: Kjbert
Buck Shaw Stadium
4853_Buck_Shaw_Stadium.jpg

vs.

Avaya Stadium
10365467_10152771604244613_2407467723020189864_o-jpg.43515

PROHIBITED/RESTRICTED ITEMS:

• Weapons of any kind
  • Incendiary devices (i.e. fireworks, smoke bombs, flares, etc.) per Health and Safety Code 12677 and punishable by a fine up to $1000, 6 months in jail, or both).
  • Illegal substances, drugs, or chemicals of any kind
  • Backpacks and large bags that exceed 16" x 16" x 8"
  • Umbrellas
  • Poles and/or staffs, of any kind to including but not limited to metal, plastic, or wood (except in designated supporters sections)
  • Drums (except in designated supporters sections and approved by Stadium Operations)
  • Horns of any kind
  • Whistles
  • Streamers
  • Frisbees or inflated balls of any kind
  • Laser pointers
  • Food and beverage or metal, plastic or glass containers brought in from outside the stadium (except for 1 water bottle per person)
  • Bicycles
  • Aerosol cans (i.e. hairspray, silly string, etc.)
  • Smoking
  • Animals (except approved service dogs)
  • Any items deemed by management to be inappropriate, offensive, or potentially hazardous
*Except in designated supporters sections and approved by Stadium Operations

No items may be displayed in a manner that may obstruct the view of other guests or in any way create a safety hazard for others as determined by stadium operations staff. The use of confetti as an expression of celebration is not prohibited, but will be kept under review.

The use of confetti as an expression of celebration is not prohibited, but will be kept under review.

OH NOZZZ! Looks like they're not that authentic out in San Jose too! :rolleyes: