mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
I only started noticing that the supporters are doing this this year. I cannot find any reference to it anywhere except one tweet noting that NYCFC supporters did it at RBA last summer.

I get doing it against the Red Bulls as a slap at them shouting "Red" in the anthem. That works as long as they keep emphasizing the Red and never win a Cup. I also get doing it generally in 2022 if in fact that was done and I just did not notice, because that was our year as reigning champs. But I have noticed it 2-3 times this year, including against Philly, and it's kind of lame I think. Should every MLS team that ever won a cup do it? Forever?

If there is there some other reason for it I'm missing please advise. But I'm guessing it started as an RBA thing, continued generally, and now it keeps going and is just awkward.

I’m not much of a fan of playing the national anthem before sporting matches but the yell thing seems somewhat disrespectful.

Reactions: moogoo
I’m not much of a fan of playing the national anthem before sporting matches but the yell thing seems somewhat disrespectful.
I like singing the anthem at sporting events and have no problem with playful alterations to it or the flag as long as not intentionally disrespectful.
Fight to the death, again and so soon?
IMG_2264.jpeg

I only started noticing that the supporters are doing this this year. I cannot find any reference to it anywhere except one tweet noting that NYCFC supporters did it at RBA last summer.

I get doing it against the Red Bulls as a slap at them shouting "Red" in the anthem. That works as long as they keep emphasizing the Red and never win a Cup. I also get doing it generally in 2022 if in fact that was done and I just did not notice, because that was our year as reigning champs. But I have noticed it 2-3 times this year, including against Philly, and it's kind of lame I think. Should every MLS team that ever won a cup do it? Forever?

If there is there some other reason for it I'm missing please advise. But I'm guessing it started as an RBA thing, continued generally, and now it keeps going and is just awkward.

I think it’s just because the title is won. I don’t think it’s specific to a team. I hear it all year in any game, it’s just that other games may be less people in the section so you won’t hear it as much.

I think it’s the thing until it’s not. I want to say other teams do other things, not just Red Bull. I don’t think it’s awkward since I feel some people do other things like Timbers fans do that towel thing during the anthem for example. Although it’s not a chant.

I think it’s just because the title is won. I don’t think it’s specific to a team. I hear it all year in any game, it’s just that other games may be less people in the section so you won’t hear it as much.

I think it’s the thing until it’s not. I want to say other teams do other things, not just Red Bull. I don’t think it’s awkward since I feel some people do other things like Timbers fans do that towel thing during the anthem for example. Although it’s not a chant.
I don’t care that it’s during the anthem. My concern is it’s pathetic to lay claim to the word “star” more than a year after we won now that LAFC are reigning champs.
Hey. Remember that time NYCFC won MLS Cup? Yeah, that was awesome.

I don’t care that it’s during the anthem. My concern is it’s pathetic to lay claim to the word “star” more than a year after we won now that LAFC are reigning champs.

I mean that star is not going away so it’s still valid. Even if nycfc doesnt win in the next 100 years.

Im not getting too worked up about it. It may go away on its own like city beats.

Red Bulls are still chirping about 7-0. And that happened during the Obama presidency.

I thought I had written about this in a previous match thread. Maybe not.

They do it every game. I hate it for two reasons.

1. Stupidity. AHABS, we're not the reigning champs anymore. Just makes us sound pathetic hanging onto that. And the worse our record the more pathetic it feels.

2. Divisions. Outside of political protest I kinda want to keep the anthem something sharable. We have too much hate in this country. Now we are taking this thing that ostensibly brings us together and turning into just one more way to say FU to each other.

Red Bulls are still chirping about 7-0. And that happened during the Obama presidency.
First, if a RB fans brings that up unprompted and unprovoked that's pathetic. We shouldn't be pathetic just because someone else is. We should be better.
Second, anyone who gets involved in banter has no reasonable expectation of anything being off limits. And that includes 7-0, Cup wins, anything. There's a difference between using the Cup win in banter defensively against fans of RB, or the Union or anyone else who hasn't won, and building a tradition around it. If a fan of the Lions talks trash about, say, the Seahawks, the Seahawks fans can bring up that they have a Super Bowl win and the Lions haven't even been in one. But if the Seahawks had a gameday tradition that regularly called back to their one SB win in 2014, that would be sad. If RSL fans are yelling "Star" in the anthem in 2023 because of that one time they won the Cup in 2009, that's also sad.

If you develop a tradition it should (A) be for something unique, and (2) not something with a half-life that just emphasizes you won that one time, 2 years ago, then 3, then 10, etc. And yes, obviously anniversary celebrations are different. Let's have a party in 2031 and celebrate Taty and Maxi and SJ etc. Also, if we ever get to where we have won more Cups than anyone else, milk it for all it's worth. But right now, we're the Eagles. We're the Bears. We're the Jets. We won once, and we're not reigning champs.

Reactions: SoupInNYC
I don’t have any issue with our fans singing it at clubs that we have rivalries with who have never won a championship — e.g. RBNJ, Philly, Orlando and Revs — until they have evened it up.

I was just telling a couple of English friends about it and they thought it was funny.

We are allowed to have lore. That lore also includes the Red Wedding so let’s take the good with the bad.

Trash talk is fine. Showering rival fans with beers is not.

Reactions: twsj91 and Shwafta