Summer Transfer Window

JCMore

Vamos Celestes
Elite Donor
Dec 4, 2015
Brooklyn, NY
Thought we should make a thread for this. Who do we see NYCFC trading away or cut this summer and improving which roles or aspects on the field. Even after an awesome away Portland victory, which spots do we still need to improve?

Names put on the chopping block in no particular order:

Mullins
Lampard
Mix
Poku
Mehdi
Brandt
Mena
Erik or Rawls?

Last edited:
Thought we should make a thread for this. Who do we see NYCFC trading away this summer and improving which roles or aspects on the field. Even after an awesome away Portland victory, which spots do we still need to improve?

Names put on the chopping block in no particular order:

Mullins
Lampard
Mix
Poku
Mehdi
Brandt
Mena
Erik or Rawls?

Mehdi and Rawls aren't going anywhere. They earn very little and provide decent depth. Brandt isn't going to be fighting off offers.

No one will take Lampard.

Mullins, Mix, Poku are your best trade chips. I don't think Mullins leaves, though I can see Mix and Poku being offered up.

Mena is a huge question mark. The only way we trade him is if we get someone else to fill in at CB.

Mehdi and Rawls aren't going anywhere. They earn very little and provide decent depth. Brandt isn't going to be fighting off offers.

No one will take Lampard.

Mullins, Mix, Poku are your best trade chips. I don't think Mullins leaves, though I can see Mix and Poku being offered up.

Mena is a huge question mark. The only way we trade him is if we get someone else to fill in at CB.
I also meant players that could be potentially cut as well, like Lampard. Clearly I didn't say that well enough

Can't see them letting go of Mehdi, Mix, or Rawls.

Brandt you'd think if he was ever healthy would be an immediate loan to Wilmington.

Mena has to be gone I'd think.

Poku we sell for a mill, Lampard retires after getting hurt in his ten minute cameo against Toronto.

I think Mena will be gone this summer. I think Poku will be sold this summer, but for much less than we would have received over the winter or from an MLS team this winter. I think Mix plays out his contract.

Who plays CF is Villa is injured? Why trade Poku, he is young and can improve and we all have seen his upside? trade Mix? so Lopez can play? it hurts my head to hear this refrain. Ballouchy is cheap and a fine back up. Why are you trying to trade the entire bench? and our backup keepers?

Who plays CF is Villa is injured? Why trade Poku, he is young and can improve and we all have seen his upside? trade Mix? so Lopez can play? it hurts my head to hear this refrain. Ballouchy is cheap and a fine back up. Why are you trying to trade the entire bench? and our backup keepers?

You are right on Villa and leading the line.

Poku's value goes down the longer he doesn't play and the closer we come to the end of his contract. Wait til he leaves on a free this winter.

Mix doesn't fit here with a salary cap and with Pirlo playing next year.

Reactions: sbrylski
Remember too that we have expansion coming up in the off season, which means an expansion draft.* Anything we do with talent in the summer and at season's end has to be done with the potential loss of players in that draft in mind.

The way the draft worked last time is that each team can only protect 11 players, and once a player is picked, it can protect a 12th. Each team can only lose 2 guys total, and Generation Adidas players (in our case, Harrison) are automatically protected without taking up one of the 11 spots.

* - There has been talk of eliminating the expansion draft, but so far that hasn't happened.

Reactions: Kjbert
You are right on Villa and leading the line.

Poku's value goes down the longer he doesn't play and the closer we come to the end of his contract. Wait til he leaves on a free this winter.

Mix doesn't fit here with a salary cap and with Pirlo playing next year.
Just don't see how mix gets hate and pirlo doesn't. Pirlo plays no defense, mix does. His pass to Mcnamara was so amazing last night no one else could do it? Pirlo has not scored and has hurt us on free kicks compared to villa. Pirlo is way more expensive and uses a DP slot. It weird how much hate mix gets compared to others. And to compare him to lopez unfavorably? give me a break?

Reactions: Gavin23
I don't see many moves at all.

It's still somewhat early in the season, but it looks like the team is finally starting to gel. To repeat the clusterfuck of last summer when they forced Kreis to integrate 5 players into the lineup would be beyond absurd.

Perhaps a minor move or two, but that should be about it.

Just don't see how mix gets hate and pirlo doesn't. Pirlo plays no defense, mix does. His pass to Mcnamara was so amazing last night no one else could do it? Pirlo has not scored and has hurt us on free kicks compared to villa. Pirlo is way more expensive and uses a DP slot. It weird how much hate mix gets compared to others. And to compare him to lopez unfavorably? give me a break?

I agree that Pirlo has been mediocre as a free kick taker. But to say he hasn't played defense is not true. He's had more impact this year, on a per minutes basis, than Mix. Mix hasn't looked comfortable in a year.

Not sure what matches you're watching. Pirlo has been excellent, including defensively, all season, whereas Mix consistently looks like he has no idea what he's doing. He sent one good long ball to Khiry last night (that ultimately Khiry did nothing with, of course), but otherwise Mix doesn't seem to have a role on this team.

Not sure what matches you're watching. Pirlo has been excellent, including defensively, all season, whereas Mix consistently looks like he has no idea what he's doing. He sent one good long ball to Khiry last night (that ultimately Khiry did nothing with, of course), but otherwise Mix doesn't seem to have a role on this team.
I really feel like I am watching something else than others here. haha. Pirlo has been excellent? (Oh and Khiry crossed that ball to Pirlo resulting in Mac's goal in the game i was watching) Mix is consistently available for passes, keeps possession and makes smart passes himself. Doesn't lose the ball constantly like Lopez. He's doing the CM dirty work that we have been missing with Lopez and Pirlo. Did you notice we were able to move the ball through the middle last night where we have had to go up the wings all year without a CM?

I really feel like I am watching something else than others here. haha. Pirlo has been excellent? (Oh and Khiry crossed that ball to Pirlo resulting in Mac's goal in the game i was watching) Mix is consistently available for passes, keeps possession and makes smart passes himself. Doesn't lose the ball constantly like Lopez. He's doing the CM dirty work that we have been missing with Lopez and Pirlo. Did you notice we were able to move the ball through the middle last night where we have had to go up the wings all year without a CM?

the one place we agree is that Mix was able to link up play between the defensive midfield pairing and our forwards. This can not be overlooked.

The question becomes whether he does enough else well here to play over Lopez. I think he's Pirlo's caddy to be honest with you and he's not a CAM for PV. My two cents.

Remember too that we have expansion coming up in the off season, which means an expansion draft.* Anything we do with talent in the summer and at season's end has to be done with the potential loss of players in that draft in mind.

The way the draft worked last time is that each team can only protect 11 players, and once a player is picked, it can protect a 12th. Each team can only lose 2 guys total, and Generation Adidas players (in our case, Harrison) are automatically protected without taking up one of the 11 spots.

* - There has been talk of eliminating the expansion draft, but so far that hasn't happened.

This is a really important point. If we protect our starting lineup as of right now, Mix and Poku are both eligible for selection. If we get a good offer for either, I can get behind pulling the trigger.

Really hoping they do away with the expansion draft and add more international spots instead, as rumored.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Sell/trade:
-Lampard
-Poku
-Mena
-Iraola

Replace with:
-DP Winger or CM, not older than 30
-A young Winger or CM
-A young CB

Loan to Wilmington:
-Gomez
-Brandt

Reactions: JCMore
You guys should really be focusing on who is available on a free in the summer of 2017. From what I can surmise, these are your options:

Arjen Robben
Mario Gotze
Frank Ribery
Ilkay Gundogan (if he isn't sold this summer)
Kelechi Iheanacho (wants 100k a week)
Jese (Real Madrid)
Santi Cazorla

The name that immediately jumps to you is Mario Gotze. Would be the most incredible signing in MLS history, outside of Beckham.

Reactions: Christopher Jee