Summer Transfer Window

About 5 days left on the transfer window - how would you guys feel if we didn't bring in anyone else in this window? Was trading Mullins really just about an INT slot for Chanot? Are they still trying to move Mix to make cap space for someone big? This club is so quiet it makes me nuts.

The summer window is when bigger international names are more likely to move, so only one incoming player would definitely be disappointing.

But I can also understand it. We are struggling to get Mix off the books, and we have three DPs. Chanot was a good grab, I'm very optimistic about him.

I'll just say my expectations are higher for the winter window if this is all we get this week. We still have players getting a lot of minutes that have no business doing so.

The summer window is when bigger international names are more likely to move, so only one incoming player would definitely be disappointing.

But I can also understand it. We are struggling to get Mix off the books, and we have three DPs. Chanot was a good grab, I'm very optimistic about him.

I'll just say my expectations are higher for the winter window if this is all we get this week. We still have players getting a lot of minutes that have no business doing so.
Imagine our winter transfer window looks like this.

Out
  • Lampard
  • Mix
  • Bravo
In (the equivalent, talent wise, of)
  • Mata
  • Brillant
  • Lopez

Imagine our winter transfer window looks like this.

Out
  • Lampard
  • Mix
  • Bravo
In (the equivalent, talent wise, of)
  • Mata
  • Brillant
  • Lopez

If we're speculating now:

OUT
Lampard
Mix
Bravo
Mendoza
Hernandez
And maybe Mena, White, and Johansen

IN
Attacking DP like Honda
TAM midfielder
CB like Chanot
Keeper
1-3 MLS Americans for depth

Maybe this is less speculation and more hope, but that seems to be the players on the hot seat and the team needs.

I can understand it too, but what I don't get is why we'd trade Mullins just for the Chanot INT slot. It's been pointed out before that those should be fairly easy to come by with some loose change. It's almost like they aren't interested in depth - a disinterest that is quickly coming to bite them in the ass this weekend.

If we're speculating now:

OUT
Lampard
Mix
Bravo
Mendoza
Hernandez
And maybe Mena, White, and Johansen

IN
Attacking DP like Honda
TAM midfielder
CB like Chanot
Keeper
1-3 MLS Americans for depth

Maybe this is less speculation and more hope, but that seems to be the players on the hot seat and the team needs.
I think that is all fair minus the attacking DP. I think it unlikely we find that player outside of the summer window.

That would mean we would go into 2017 with

TMac - Villa - Jack
TAM mid - Iraola - Pirlo
Mata - Chanot - Chanot 2 - RJ
New GK

Depth - Martinez, Lopez, Shelton, TT, Saunders, Ballouchy, Brillant, Brandt, Gomez, +1-3 New Americans

Also, that means 5 INT out and 2-3 INT in.

Let's say this gets augmented with a summer DP signing and nothing else that breaks the starting XI. Are you happy with our 2017 prospects?

I think that is all fair minus the attacking DP. I think it unlikely we find that player outside of the summer window.

That would mean we would go into 2017 with

TMac - Villa - Jack
TAM mid - Iraola - Pirlo
Mata - Chanot - Chanot 2 - RJ
New GK

Depth - Martinez, Lopez, Shelton, TT, Saunders, Ballouchy, Brillant, Brandt, Gomez, +1-3 New Americans

Also, that means 5 INT out and 2-3 INT in.

Let's say this gets augmented with a summer DP signing and nothing else that breaks the starting XI. Are you happy with our 2017 prospects?

I would be ok with only 2 DPs to start 2017, because we know they are just holding out for the best option, not being cheap.

What I want to see is appropriate depth brought in. That's how I'll judge how prepared we are for 2017 and how well we did. Having a backup we are comfortable with at every position. Right now we have basically zero backups at CF, midfield (sans Bravo at CDM), CB, RB, and apparently GK. If we can set up the depth over the winter, then we can look to the summer window for the DP signing to push the team over the edge.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I think we could totally get a DP in the January window if we wanted. Great time to get a player that is not fitting in with their current team at a discount. We could also pay any transfer fee that CFG is willing pay with zero cap impact.

I'll judge the Winter Transfer period when it happens. Right now we are a weaker, thinner team than we would have been with no transfers in this window. Our bench options on the offensive side are vanishingly thin. If there is a last minute move obviously this changes, but right now my reading is that either (1) the club is not very bullish on our chances to win this year, or (2) the FO did not accomplish what it thought it could (I carefully and intentionally did not say they failed). The short term effect of these moves is negative to our chances in 2016.
The funny part is, even with that, I think they were probably good moves. I was not super bullish on our chances to win it all in 2016 either so I can get on board with this trade-off.

I'll judge the Winter Transfer period when it happens. Right now we are a weaker, thinner team than we would have been with no transfers in this window. Our bench options on the offensive side are vanishingly thin. If there is a last minute move obviously this changes, but right now my reading is that either (1) the club is not very bullish on our chances to win this year, or (2) the FO did not accomplish what it thought it could (I carefully and intentionally did not say they failed). The short term effect of these moves is negative to our chances in 2016.
The funny part is, even with that, I think they were probably good moves. I was not super bullish on our chances to win it all in 2016 either so I can get on board with this trade-off.
I think your #2 is the likely answer. They have to move players out before bring in, horse before the cart, and then they either can't or haven't closed on the new player yet. It took ManU forever to see the finish line with Pogba, so Reyna & Co are probably in the same boat with their hypothetical negotiations.

I think your #2 is the likely answer. They have to move players out before bring in, horse before the cart, and then they either can't or haven't closed on the new player yet. It took ManU forever to see the finish line with Pogba, so Reyna & Co are probably in the same boat with their hypothetical negotiations.
My guess is mostly (2) with at least an undercurrent of (1) as mitigating the risk of not being able to patch the holes.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Unlike Frank who changes 56% possession to 46% and 16 shots to 11 per game.

Lampard has scored 5 times in 7 games. Our style of play has changed from possession to counter attack. That's worked. We have 15 points in 7 games.

I am okay with this. We have 6 players to cover 3 spots up front and could push Matarrita up there in a pinch. Our starters there are the league leader for MVP, a guy who is top 5 in assists, and a guy who very possibly could win rookie of the year in half a season. All three backups have found the net for us, with a total of 4 goals and 5 assists. Our biggest need was getting help for the Back 4 and we did that. I am not particularly happy with our depth at fullback, so hopefully we can get Mata healthy.

I know forward depth looks shaky going into this week, but that's because Villa is out. Let's face it, there is nobody we could obtain as a backup that is going to make us comfortable losing him. He is the the leading candidate for MVP this year. If gets hurt, we are screwed, and that's all there is to it.

Last edited:

I am okay with this. We have 6 players to cover 3 spots up front and could push Matarrita up there in a pinch. Our starters there are the league leader for MVP, a guy who is top 5 in assists, and a guy who very possibly could win rookie of the year in half a season. All three backups have found the net for us, with a total of 4 goals and 5 assists. Our biggest need was getting help for the Back 4 and we did that. I am not particularly happy with our depth at fullback, so hopefully we can get Mata healthy.

I know forward depth looks shaky going into this week, but that's because Villa is out. Let's face it, there is nobody we could obtain as a backup that is going to make us comfortable losing him. He is the the leading candidate for MVP this year. If gets hurt, we are screwed, and that's all there is to it.
Well put. And if there was nobody else out there that the club feels like is worth bringing in, then no need to bring in other guys just to do it.

I know we have some depth concerns, and I would have liked to see if we could have grabbed someone out there as a forward, but understand your point that nobody is going to be able to replace Villa.

The kind of transaction that I would have been in love with, is somehow making a move for Alan Gordon at LAG. Outside of the US Open Cup, he's only played 228 minutes this year, and would give us a target forward option in case we need to switch up tactics during a match. I think he loves living in LA, so I'm not really certain that this would even be a possibility though.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich

I understand your point, but my concern has nothing to do with Villa. It has everything to do with Khiry Shelton vs. whoever else we could bring in that knows how to score a goal. Would losing Villa fuck us either way? Absolutely. That doesn't mean we have to rely on a kid with barely a single professional season under his belt while we are being fucked in Villa's absence.

Reactions: Midas Mulligan