Supporter Identity

CP_Scouse

Registered
Mar 27, 2014
Queens
i dont know what everyone elses view on this is, but i think we can all agree that the NYCFC supporters should not be "normal supporters". when i say this, i mean that we shouldn't have cappos (people that stand and shout to crowd) we shouldn't have drums to direct crowd songs. we shouldn't have an exclusive section (like the sons of ben do). The secret to being the best supporters is being an all inclusive group. ALL NYCFC FANS ARE SUPPORTERS. When we vote on "our name" we aren't just choosing on just us, we're choosing for ALL fans, present and future. Whether some of us are sitting by the goal, or in the upper upper decks, we are all supporters.
IN SUMMARY i dont want to end up like this.

But we should end up like this :

Very idealistic but the reality is in New York the casual fan is going to make up a solid amount of the attendance and they will not know the songs and cheers etc.

In any event, Liverpool does have various supporters sections, the reason you get the whole stadium involved is that even the "non-supporters" know the songs. That is not the case in this country.

Reactions: Kubah
Very idealistic but the reality is in New York the casual fan is going to make up a solid amount of the attendance and they will not know the songs and cheers etc.

In any event, Liverpool does have various supporters sections, the reason you get the whole stadium involved is that even the "non-supporters" know the songs. That is not the case in this country.
hopefully it will come to a piont where the normal fan would know the songs

hopefully it will come to a piont where the normal fan would know the songs
Like I said, that is ideal. But that is a long way off in this country. I mean, even in the more popular sports, the most you get in terms of organized cheering that everyone knows is: "Let's Go (team name)" or maybe chanting a player's name. There is no equivalent to YNWA or Oh When The Spurs or Glory Glory Man United.

I am taking some of my friends to the USMNT match in RBA, and while they are huge sports fans, when I told them we are standing with American Outlaws and they should learn the songs, they looked at me like I fell off the moon.

It is just a different culture here. So the best way to support NYCFC is with a supporters group and a supporters section. Maybe in 20 years it will be different. Hopefully.

if we start singing some chants the casuals will eventually catch on over time. do you guys want to go on for the full 90 though? they don't in europe it just seems to be an mls thing lol

if we start singing some chants the casuals will eventually catch on over time. do you guys want to go on for the full 90 though? they don't in europe it just seems to be an mls thing lol
As long as the chants are available online -- or we get official status and can put them on the MLS page.

we should only chant for good plays

European fans - especially English fans - have a love/hate relationship with singing and atmosphere. Almost uniformly we believe that it should happen for the full 90 minutes, but it never happens for a combination of reasons. For a start, people find it hard to get singing when their team is playing badly unless it's already got to the point where the game is gone and the fans can finally give up, release the pressure and in some cases stop watching the game to focus on atmosphere. Secondly there's that fans tend to be less drunk during the games these days, and alcohol has always traditionally fuelled atmosphere.

There's also that English fans in particular, with a few notable exceptions, tend to be very adversarial to the idea of capos, or other individuals who are tasked with starting songs - a lot of people here believe that atmosphere should be spontaneous and reactionary, which is why most of the songs sung at English games are either for particular players or are aimed at offending the opposition supporters - indeed, a lot of atmosphere relies on the two sets of fans singing songs backwards and forwards and responding to each others' taunts. For the same reason you'll never hear English fans since the classic American "college chants" - the "Let's Go Team Nickname, Let's Go!" or so on, because the songs are just too generic for us.

This list of constraints on what you can sing, and when it's appropriate to sing it, though, does therefore create a situation where it's hard to sing for the full 90 minutes.

Ideally, you should always aim to be singing for the full 90. You guys need to make the decision whether to base your atmosphere on US sports or the European atmosphere. That's the most important question for you right now - and it may well not be a question that you can answer, it may end up being a question that gets answered for you when you find out how your first home crowds react to the new environment you find yourself in. If you go for the US atmosphere, you'll find it easier to sing for the whole match, though your songs may often be relatively arbitrary - but then if you can create a raucous atmosphere, that may not matter. If you go for the European effect, you should be able to build a reputation for humour, style/class and intimidation, all of which are positive things for a football crowd. It will, however, leave you having to work far harder to keep the atmosphere going when you are trailing a game and aren't in the mood for praising players who are underperforming, or mud-slinging at rival fans who aren't rising to the bait by singing back.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
I can tell you, as a member of American Outlaws and a supporter of Tottenham, they are really polar opposites.

AO sing the full 90 no matter what. But the whole game is really just a party atmosphere, enjoying the moment, building camaraderie, supporting a cause. The team concedes, they just keep on singing. The team loses, they are still supporting them until the end.

Spurs home support, despite seeing their club be the most successful they have been for a while, barely sing, especially when losing. There, its more about the "right to be entertained" and making champion's league, and winning cups, so when it goes wrong, it is quiet or "booooooooooooo".

And to be fair, New York sports fans are most like Spurs fans in this regard. We pay the ticket prices, we deserve a good performance, and if we don't we will let the players know.

For me, I enjoy the AO mentality much more, and that atmosphere was a major factor in drawing me to this sport in the first place. I always say its a matter of identity: Are we supporters or customers? I prefer to be a supporter. I don't deserve anything- rather it is my responsibility to contribute. I sing during good moments and bad.

And the one thing I know, regardless of the outcome, people with the supporter's mentality leave a game happier than those with the customer mentality. So I would hope that the NYCFC support follow in that mold.

I can tell you, as a member of American Outlaws and a supporter of Tottenham, they are really polar opposites.

AO sing the full 90 no matter what. But the whole game is really just a party atmosphere, enjoying the moment, building camaraderie, supporting a cause. The team concedes, they just keep on singing. The team loses, they are still supporting them until the end.

Spurs home support, despite seeing their club be the most successful they have been for a while, barely sing, especially when losing. There, its more about the "right to be entertained" and making champion's league, and winning cups, so when it goes wrong, it is quiet or "booooooooooooo".

And to be fair, New York sports fans are most like Spurs fans in this regard. We pay the ticket prices, we deserve a good performance, and if we don't we will let the players know.

For me, I enjoy the AO mentality much more, and that atmosphere was a major factor in drawing me to this sport in the first place. I always say its a matter of identity: Are we supporters or customers? I prefer to be a supporter. I don't deserve anything- rather it is my responsibility to contribute. I sing during good moments and bad.

And the one thing I know, regardless of the outcome, people with the supporter's mentality leave a game happier than those with the customer mentality. So I would hope that the NYCFC support follow in that mold.

Well said on all points.

I've never been to a USMNT match so I have no experiance with that but it was the Supporters Section at RBA that won me over. Say what you will about Red Bulls, those guys (ESC, VA and GSC) are damn near tireless. Winning or losing they are making noise.

some variation of Andrew WK's New York City would be fun

I Love NYC

(To the tune of: Andrew WKs I LOVE NYC)

We Love New York City
Oh Yeah!
New York City
We Love New York City
FC!
New York City!

We’ll run you over, Run you out
Knock you down and terror your town
Move around you, (now fuck off!) move around
Talk no talk, breaking you down

We are a corporation
We are a company
We are high above you anyway
We are your mother’s nightmares
We are fighters friend
You can’t stop what you can’t end

We love New York City
Oh Yeah!
New York City
We Love New York City!
FC!
New York City!

Reactions: einwindir
Well said on all points.

I've never been to a USMNT match so I have no experiance with that but it was the Supporters Section at RBA that won me over. Say what you will about Red Bulls, those guys (ESC, VA and GSC) are damn near tireless. Winning or losing they are making noise.
I Love NYC

(To the tune of: Andrew WKs I LOVE NYC)

We Love New York City
Oh Yeah!
New York City
We Love New York City
FC!
New York City!

We’ll run you over, Run you out
Knock you down and terror your town
Move around you, (now fuck off!) move around
Talk no talk, breaking you down