The Chaaaaaampions! Uefa Champions League 15/16

La Liga DOMINATION!!! :D

Although I am fond of Liverpool I am hoping for both Villarreal and Sevilla to advance to the Europa final thus to continue....La Liga DOMINATION!

Didn't get my wish but congrats to Liverpool and Sevilla. Sevilla will be fighting for their third straight Europa League title in a row (5th overall). It will be a great match to watch!

ugh, Atletico and Real AGAIN?
CYDXt1rWkAItuZ9.jpg

If Liverpool wins the Europa League final, that's qualification for Champions League.

So would places 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the Premier League still qualify for Champions League (PL would have 5 teams in CL)? OR would 4th place no longer qualify (maintaining only 4 teams in PL would be in CL)?

I remember Tottenham one year got bumped since Chelsea won the CL, but does same apply for a Europa League win?

Last edited:
If Liverpool wins the Europa League final, that's qualification for Champions League.

So would places 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the Premier League still qualify for Champions League (PL would have 5 teams in CL)? OR would 4th place no longer qualify (maintaining only 4 teams in PL would be in CL)?

I remember Tottenham one year got bumped since Chelsea won the CL, but does same apply for a Europa League win?

Different countries get a different # of spots but England is allowed the maximum (5). So even if Liverpool wins, top 4 will qualify. But I think Liverpool would automatically be in group stage, bypassing a playoff, because both Atletico and RM qualified through la liga (so there won't be extra spots taken up by UCL finalists)

It has to be the same. Spot has to come from somewhere and no other country will willingly give it up.

Since my post seemed to disagree with danger danger i decided to look things up.
Wikipedia has an explanation and a chart which is rather complicated but I think it boils down to this. If I'm right, danger is correct that England can have a maximum of five and they treat CL winners different from Europa winners. England normally gets 4. Three of the four are always full entry, and one requires going in the qualification round. The top 3 PL teams have guaranteed full CL spots. If non-English teams win the CL and Europa then the 4th place PL team gets the qualifying round spot and that's that.
If an English team wins CL but doesn't finish top 4 in the PL, it takes the qualification round spot from the 4th place team, and England still gets 4. This is what happened with Chelsea and the Spurs.
If an English team wins Europa but doesn't finish top 4 in the PL, it gets an extra non-qualifying spot and England gets 5 total.
England also gets 5 if English teams win both CL and Europa and neither finishes top 3. England gets 5 spots, with the Europa winner skipping qualifying and the CL going into qualifying. Again the 4th place PL teams gets squeezed out.

It seems odd that Europa winner is treated better than CL winner, but I think that was done because nobody cared about Europa and they wanted to make it more worthwhile.

Also, the number of spots is recalculated every year. There was a chance Italy could take a spot away from England this year but England kept it when MCFC and Liverpool advanced and Juventus was eliminated

Last edited:
Since my post seemed to disagree with danger danger i decided to look things up.
Wikipedia has an explanation and a chart which is rather complicated but I think it boils down to this. If I'm right, danger is correct that England can have a maximum of five and they treat CL winners different from Europa winners. England normally gets 4. Three of the four are always full entry, and one requires going in the qualification round. The top 3 PL teams have guaranteed full CL spots. If non-English teams win the CL and Europa then the 4th place PL team gets the qualifying round spot and that's that.
If an English team wins CL but doesn't finish top 4 in the PL, it takes the qualification round spot from the 4th place team, and England still gets 4. This is what happened with Chelsea and the Spurs.
If an English team wins Europa but doesn't finish top 4 in the PL, it gets an extra non-qualifying spot and England gets 5 total.
England also gets 5 if English teams win both CL and Europa and neither finishes top 3. England gets 5 spots, with the Europa winner skipping qualifying and the CL going into qualifying. Again the 4th place PL teams gets squeezed out.

It seems odd that Europa winner is treated better than CL winner, but I think that was done because nobody cared about Europa and they wanted to make it more worthwhile.

Also, the number of spots is recalculated every year. There was a chance Italy could take a spot away from England this year but England kept it when MCFC and Liverpool advanced and Juventus was eliminated

You're mostly there. The main bit you are missing is citing Chelsea and Spurs in 2012, because the rules were changed for the start of the 2015-16 season to say that the CL winner gets an automatic extra place on top of their association's standard slots, as does the Europa League winner. Back in 2012, when Chelsea won the CL, that rule was not in place and Spurs had to cede their place to Chelsea as the rules then said that no more than four teams from one association could compete in the same year.

Also, the CL winners very definitely get automatic Group Stage entry - there's no preferential treatment of the EL winner. In fact, it's the EL winner who has to drop into the play-off round if both they and the CL winner failed to qualify for the Group Stage through league position - this is done to ensure an equal amount of teams compete at each stage, given that the CL and EL winner positions may or may not be used depending on how those winners perform in their own leagues.

You're mostly there. The main bit you are missing is citing Chelsea and Spurs in 2012, because the rules were changed for the start of the 2015-16 season to say that the CL winner gets an automatic extra place on top of their association's standard slots, as does the Europa League winner. Back in 2012, when Chelsea won the CL, that rule was not in place and Spurs had to cede their place to Chelsea as the rules then said that no more than four teams from one association could compete in the same year.

Also, the CL winners very definitely get automatic Group Stage entry - there's no preferential treatment of the EL winner. In fact, it's the EL winner who has to drop into the play-off round if both they and the CL winner failed to qualify for the Group Stage through league position - this is done to ensure an equal amount of teams compete at each stage, given that the CL and EL winner positions may or may not be used depending on how those winners perform in their own leagues.
Thanks. I've had at least a couple of indicators now that I wasn't at my sharpest yesterday morning.

Enjoy the game everyone!

Pre-game 2pm FOX
Game 2:30pm FOX

Edited to add game is TODAY for anyone who needs to know. :D

Awful miss from Griezman but how can Pleat be acting like its controversial ? Defender was standing on Torres' ankle..