The Future Of Mls

I know it's cultural and all, but I think leagues start to lose their charm the further over 20 teams they go.
How about 21? ;)

So when do we start talking about making MLS better? I see pro/rel babble and some fantasy expansion list but neither will make MLS better.

Will anything short of player acquisition changes and salary cap increases make it better?

I think realistically, the next step in making the MLS better is in altering the salary/DP/domestic player rules. Something like 4-5 DPs, an extra 50% to the cap and up to 12 foreign players seems like the kind of rule alteration which would give the league a huge shot in the arm. I don't think that realistically you'd see that happen in one go though. It could even take a decade or more for all of those things to happen, if that's even the direction MLS chooses to go.

I know it's cultural and all, but I think leagues start to lose their charm the further over 20 teams they go.
Must be cultural. I think the bigger the better. Means there's always someone new out there. Always a new challenger. Its why on paper I like pro/rel.

Its also why I prefer the unbalanced schedule and a championship game. Nothing better than two juggernauts on a collision course for a decisive game with everything on the line.

Imagine if instead of Barca and Real Madrid meeting 50 times a year, they only meet once with everything on the line? Can you imagine the enormity that game instantly takes on for both sides? Its glorious.

Sure, it means that there's a lot on the line in that game, but what if the two teams aren't Barca and Real but are instead Getafe and Elche, or Stoke and Newcastle. Far, far less on the line so you're creating a showdown for nothing. On the other hand, to create this showdown you've also denied one of those teams' fans the opportunity to watch that game live because only one team can be the home team. Not only that but if the home team happens to be really good at home but really poor away then you're giving them an unfair advantage that the other team has no opportunity to correct like they would in leagues where both teams must play both home and away.

Does anyone know how the schedule will change next year with the addition of NYCFC & Orlando?

Also, are they just keeping the 2 conferences or will they have 2 divisions in each conference?

I'm pretty sure they're staying with the 2 conferences. If I'm correct Kansas City & Houston will move to the Western Conference and NYCFC will come into the East with Orlando.

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
I'm pretty sure they're staying with the 2 conferences. If I'm correct Kansas City & Houston will move to the Western Conference and NYCFC will come into the East with Orlando.
I was thinking about this the other day.

I think only Houston will move over to the West next year.

That means 11 in the East vs. 10 in the West.