The Mess At Gate 6

Bullhorns

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Aug 1, 2014
Due to potholes all over the Grand Central we got to the game a lot later than we planned. We got to gate 6 of the stadium about 20-25 minutes before kickoff, only to find a ridiculously long line that wasn't moving at all. We wound up missing the kickoff and got to our seats about 5 minutes into the game. Does anyone know why there was such a jam at gate 6? I saw on Instagram a lot of people complaining they couldn't get in, a few even said they missed Villa's goal!

That gate always gets crowded because it's the first one people see off the subway. Still, yesterday was different. I've never seen the one-by-one through the metal detector routine before, it slowed everything down. They also had far too few machines to deal with the number of people creating ridiculous bottlenecks. I made it in well ahead of kickoff, but still the wait was ridiculous. People were very annoyed, that's not how you make a good first impression with fans.

I doubt we'll see many games where attendance is over 40,000 again, but still, the process needs an immediate adjustment.

Metal detectors were used for the first time at the stadium. Hopefully they can work out a better system to move people into the building faster.

That gate always gets crowded because it's the first one people see off the subway. Still, yesterday was different. I've never seen the one-by-one through the metal detector routine before, it slowed everything down. They also had far too few machines to deal with the number of people creating ridiculous bottlenecks. I made it in well ahead of kickoff, but still the wait was ridiculous. People were very annoyed, that's not how you make a good first impression with fans.

I doubt we'll see many games where attendance is over 40,000 again, but still, the process needs an immediate adjustment.

What are the top two gates for entering Yankee stadium 2, 4 or 8 (in terms of speed to get in)?

Can we talk about how it took me 30 plus minutes to get a chicken slider? by the time I came back it was the 80th minute.

Reactions: Bronn FC
It wasn't just gate 6. I waited about 30 minutes for gate 8, from 4:35 to 5:05. And there were plenty of people behind me as well. I think that line only started to get long around 4:15 though.

I was at gate 6 and it took at least 20 minutes for me to get in. I have never exxperienced that at a Yankee game.

Can we talk about how it took me 30 plus minutes to get a chicken slider? by the time I came back it was the 80th minute.

Its all setup for baseball when you can probably wait for 20-30 min as nothing is happening...they really need to get their head around the fact that most people will come around half time! In England no one gets food before the half time break and we wouldn't take waiting that long to be served.

Reactions: Bronn FC and Kevin
Its all setup for baseball when you can probably wait for 20-30 min as nothing is happening...they really need to get their head around the fact that most people will come around half time! In England no one gets food before the half time break and we wouldn't take waiting that long to be served.
Preach! I totally understand they were unprepared I just hope they'll get it right or at least better the next 16 games

Reactions: Lewis_H
I got in through Gate 2, no line at all around 3:30 (while Gates 6 and 4 were packed).

As i posted in two other threads, everyone went to one gate for whatever reason (close to train and bars I'm guessing) i walked to the other side of the stadium at 4 and there was not a single person on line and i was in the stadium in under a minute there are plenty of entrances to get into the stadium so you can't blame the big crowd of metal detectors just walk around to the other side

Yeah everyone went to that gate. I was at the front of the March so I got there first and was in within a minute.
The metal detectors weren't a good up. Put my wallet in and walked through and walked out.

Folks are saying Gate 4 didn't have a line, but when I went by there, it definitely had a serious line (maybe it was moving better than the ones at like Gate 6 closer to the bars... but there was definitely a big line).

If it was moving better there, then it's probably because there was a bit more room to actually form lines at Gate 4. The stadium is not set up for te combination of the crowds like yesterday AND the metal detector-created bottlenecks. There's not physically anywhere on the landings large enough for people to even properly form lines because there's so little room between the gate/metal detectors (which take up a lot of extra room now) and the wall before the drop off into Babe Ruth Plaza and/or 161 Street.

I assume in the future (and this will likely be a problem for Yankees games too now, with the new security) that they'll start actively trying to encourage people to use the normally less used gates and also providinghelpful directions on how to do so... perhaps even creating some sort of barrier or other crowd control measures to ease fans to different gates coming from different places (parking garages, subways, bars on north side of River Ave, etc). As it is now, while future NYCFC games are going to have fewer people and probably fewer issues... I'm sure their primarly concern is figuring out ways to solve this prior to the Yankees home opener.