The Next 5 Years

In 5 years?

Hiring another coach, of course.

Before the Vieira crew set upon me....

He'll be gone long before 5 years. :D

Yep. That's what I couldn't figure out. Still can't.
Is it not a call for raising the minimum salary significantly to have the bigger impact be on raising overall quality rather than going from 3-5 to 6-7 quality players on pitch? I would also expect raised minimum salary to be a call to force cheaper owners to participate in the raising of the league quality. They can run from the DPs but if they have to pay every player at least $120k then they might as well make the most of it.

That was my interpretation.

I think he's saying raise the cap in a way that brings in better players for the entire roster not just in a way that creates more DPs and perpetuates the disparity between top players and the rest of the roster.

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
I think he's saying raise the cap in a way that brings in better players for the entire roster not just in a way that creates more DPs and perpetuates the disparity between top players and the rest of the roster.

I think we all agree on that. The uncertain part is whether they are saying NYCFC was highlighted because they think we somehow do a relatively good job of bringing in better players within the cap, or because they think we are the perfect example of poor cap use by front-loading high-end players in and then complete rest of the squad with under-paid filler material.

I think we all agree on that. The uncertain part is whether they are saying NYCFC was highlighted because they think we somehow do a relatively good job of bringing in better players within the cap, or because they think we are the perfect example of poor cap use by front-loading high-end players in and then complete rest of the squad with under-paid filler material.

I'd say they are using NYCFC as a bad example but that's unfair after 1 yr of existence.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I think it's both. I thing there's envy of being able to commit to three massively high priced DPs, but also that the rest of the squad is stocked with fodder and league minimum contracts. I'm not looking at it as being unfair or not for an example, I think it highlights that the rules are unbalanced and need rejiggering to ensure that a team that is willing to pony up $$ for DPs isn't left at the alter with league minimum scrubs - it's a loophole for the worse, one that wasn't thought through by the rules committee. It happens. That's why the owners are even talking about the need to raise Cap, even a cheap miser like Kraft. Roth didn't answer that the #1 need/change for the league was to make more $$ for the clubs, he said double the CAP - that takes balls to go on record.

Yep. That's what I couldn't figure out. Still can't.
Well I just figured that the commissioner asking a "future" question to several MLS owners would be relevant to this discussion. Your explanations sound good to me.

In five years I'm expecting a completely different team then what we have now, from top to bottom. Probably 1-3 current players on the roster, tops. I expect a stadium to be under construction (not completed) and for us to be competing on all fronts rather successfully. Let's see what happens. Also, by that time we'll no longer be the new team so we won't have that excuse any longer.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
In five years I'm expecting a completely different team then what we have now, from top to bottom. Probably 1-3 current players on the roster, tops. I expect a stadium to be under construction (not completed) and for us to be competing on all fronts rather successfully. Let's see what happens. Also, by that time we'll no longer be the new team so we won't have that excuse any longer.

Dude not a chance on the stadium front. It's NYC, be happy if the stadium is built in 20 years.

20 years is how long it took the Yankees, and there were a lot of Yankees fans in the state senate, you know the people who control the government purse strings.

Dude not a chance on the stadium front. It's NYC, be happy if the stadium is built in 20 years.

20 years is how long it took the Yankees, and there were a lot of Yankees fans in the state senate, you know the people who control the government purse strings.

So you're saying we have to run for state senate?

Reactions: FootyLovin

Maybe but I think they will be pressured into settling for a location that they (and we) are not 100% happy with.

Maybe but I think they will be pressured into settling for a location that they (and we) are not 100% happy with.

What sub optimal location? We've been over this in the stadium thread enough times.

The problem stadium building in NYC is not locations, its the utter lack of locations and the commiserate increase in cost that extreme scarcity imposes.

The team has billed itself as a NYC team, that means it cannot be out of reach of a subway ride. That severely limits your options.

The GAL site, Willits Point, and the 40th street pier are the only places you really have enough space to realistically build a NYC stadium.

The GAL site is by far the best site because of its subway access. The only other place that would even come close is near the Barclays center, but good luck on that front.

What sub optimal location? We've been over this in the stadium thread enough times.

The problem stadium building in NYC is not locations, its the utter lack of locations and the commiserate increase in cost that extreme scarcity imposes.

The team has billed itself as a NYC team, that means it cannot be out of reach of a subway ride. That severely limits your options.

The GAL site, Willits Point, and the 40th street pier are the only places you really have enough space to realistically build a NYC stadium.

The GAL site is by far the best site because of its subway access. The only other place that would even come close is near the Barclays center, but good luck on that front.

I honestly still think it's going to be near the aqueduct or, if not there, probably GAL (which I admit wouldn't be bad at all). There's no chance in hell a stadium is being built in Manhattan.