The People Vs Manchester City

What my argument was about, originally, was the pressure I feel as NY fan, is that I, by virtue of supporting the club, was forced to follow the NY chapter of the MCFC supporters group. This is where I feel the "Identity" issue was. I want MCFC fans to join, but I dont want to feel because where are owned by MCFC, we have to have our hands held and become clones, singing blue moon. It may be irrational but I do see some of that creeping in.

There are quite a lot of City fans who really don't give a shit about NYCFC; I can tell you that right now. I've heard everything from "yeah, so?" to "it'll just be a poor imitation".

There's plenty who do care, either by virtue of the fact City started it or that they understand the reasoning behind it. I am just wondering if y'all here understand why City have done this.

What my argument was about, originally, was the pressure I feel as NY fan, is that I, by virtue of supporting the club, was forced to follow the NY chapter of the MCFC supporters group. This is where I feel the "Identity" issue was. I want MCFC fans to join, but I dont want to feel because where are owned by MCFC, we have to have our hands held and become clones, singing blue moon. It may be irrational but I do see some of that creeping in.

You don't. I think there are plenty of NYCFC fans who have no regard for MCFC, and that's fine. I'm sure that in time, NYCFC will give a little press coverage to MCFC when significant things happen, and in turn MCFC will publicise NYCFC's achievements, but the very fact that so little has been announced on the NYCFC website - not even the League Cup victory - should hopefully suggest to you all that they want the link to be a "hey, that's cool", not a "AWESOME I MUST SUPPORT CITY NOW" style relationship. Of course, I'm sure they've be delighted to have as many fans supporting the entire network of teams as possible, but it's not a deal-breaker for them and they won't push it. If you don't care for MCFC then fine. Just don't think about them, and concentrate on NYCFC.

Not at all brother.
I haven't even looked at that chapter and I am a City fan myself.
I think that was put there in order to give new NYCFC supporters something to start with.
Obviously judging by the success of this site and the push by the SG on Facebook we have handled our own and are forming a good community.
I think once we start to take shape we will take that place on the official site but for now I think they see us more of a rag tag militia then an organized group.
Which I can respect. But as we grow in size and become organized I expect them to recognize that.

I was thinking about something similar to what some of you mentioned in here.

I was thinking, as MLS closes the gap on Europe, will City be willing to spend the proper money on NYCFC? Will they be willing to give them stars that might even be desirable to MCFC? One side of the ocean could get mighty angry if they feel the ownership is favoring one side or the other.

I mean, its not that big of a deal right now. While we would gladly, gladly welcome a player like Bale or Aguero, I think people here understand that at this junction, we don't NEED them. But it's not always going to be that way.....

I was thinking, as MLS closes the gap on Europe, will City be willing to spend the proper money on NYCFC? Will they be willing to give them stars that might even be desirable to MCFC? One side of the ocean could get mighty angry if they feel the ownership is favoring one side or the other.

I mean, its not that big of a deal right now. While we would gladly, gladly welcome a player like Bale or Aguero, I think people here understand that at this junction, we don't NEED them. But it's not always going to be that way.....
I completely agree with you on that front.
We don't need these massive big name DP's like Zlatan/Pirlo right now as the competition level doesn't require them. I think right now we need young speedy players that play attractive football. Which is why I love this partnership with City. Their youth system is one of the best out there.

Reactions: Kinkladze

I get what you're saying but this scenario is someway off, way into the distant future. The MLS will get stronger, which is a good thing, but it will not be comparable to top-flight CL clubs anytime soon.

If the gap was much closer then you would already be seeing World class footballers in their prime in the MLS, the fact you don't (and to be brutally frank, not even close) and only see older players looking for a last pay-check says everything.

However, there will come a time when it till happen, and we all can cross that bridge when we come to it.

I get what you're saying but this scenario is someway off, way into the distant future. The MLS will get stronger, which is a good thing, but it will not be comparable to top-flight CL clubs anytime soon.

If the gap was much closer then you would already be seeing World class footballers in their prime in the MLS, the fact you don't (and to be brutally frank, not even close) and only see older players looking for a last pay-check says everything.

However, there will come a time when it till happen, and we all can cross that bridge when we come to it.
It depends really. Its just a matter of how fast can MLS get Americans watching MLS on TV in better numbers. Adding and expanding the cities that MLS is in will help that. NYCFC, Orlando and a new Los Angeles club are joining next year. I'm sure they'll track down another very, very wealthy owner for LA. Then in two more years we'll see Atlanta and Miami.

The TV money is going to more than double starting next year as well as a reworking of the cap limits to reflect that. Add to that that the youth and reserve side situation for these clubs are constantly improving. Teams are constantly adding more youth teams, just this year teams started reserve clubs in the third division. Meaning we're going to see an improvement in the quality of the average MLS player.

So even in the next year or two, the clubs should be taking a big step forward from where they are just this year. On top of that, USA has a very good chance at the 2026 world cup. So it might not be that far off...

I imagine a significant % of NYCFC's supporters will have "daddy issues" with Man City being the co-owners, I personally think it will bring more positive vibes than negatives. If there could be one thing that I could request, is that the club would embrace the grit, the hustle, the drive of "old NY," the last thing I want is for this to become the "millionaire playboy club."

Maybe we should have a MCFC section and a Non-MCFC section. Like smoking used to be.

Once the team starts playing, I believe we will see MCFC withdraw a bit. I think they are so prevalent right now because we are all in the business phases right now.

First and foremost this is a NYCFC forum, and whilst the connections, the business plans, and what the World media say cannot be ignored, it is still about NYCFC. Yes, MCFC will always be there, but as I have learned already (although still can't really come to terms with) other PL fans do and will support and follow this new club.

City will get discussed on occasion, but that#s not what this place is about. I really wouldn't worry too much, although I do suspect City will do the odd thing to piss NYCFC fans off occasionally.

I'm not a MCFC fan, but I'm thankful for them. We probably wouldn't have a team without them. And if we did, it wouldn't be this well organized. And I only hope NYCFC plays like MCFC. Even if you hate them, you have to admit that no team has been more exciting in the last few years. Give me great football (and beer) and I'll proudly wear sky blue.

Reactions: grandsolo
I'm not a MCFC fan, but I'm thankful for them. We probably wouldn't have a team without them. And if we did, it wouldn't be this well organized. And I only hope NYCFC plays like MCFC. Even if you hate them, you have to admit that no team has been more exciting in the last few years. Give me great football (and beer) and I'll proudly wear sky blue.
NYCFC will ABSOLUTELY play like MCFC. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish. Personally if the rags had a club in NY I wouldn't be caught dead supporting it, but that's just me. At the end of the day, more NYCFC fans = more revenue for MCFC and that improves MCFC as a brand while also making NYCFC a force in MLS. Make no mistake, NYCFC will be run like no other MLS club and I mean that in a positive way.

NYCFC will ABSOLUTELY play like MCFC. Anyone who thinks otherwise is foolish. Personally if the rags had a club in NY I wouldn't be caught dead supporting it, but that's just me. At the end of the day, more NYCFC fans = more revenue for MCFC and that improves MCFC as a brand while also making NYCFC a force in MLS. Make no mistake, NYCFC will be run like no other MLS club and I mean that in a positive way.

Every single thing you just said is why every non-MCFC fan is really skeptical. Imitating Manchester City is one thing. Playing like them is great. Having sky blue like them is fine... The more revenue for MAN CITY and improving brand of MAN CITY is not okay though. If those are by-products then whatever... but there will be a lot of egg on the face if this is a little brother situation where everything is about making MCFC better.

It's already obvious that MCFC is more important to you than NYCFC.