Toronto (Home, Playoffs) - Postmatch

Except those that end up as yellow cards for Mitrita....

this reminds me... the ref, on the whole wasn't too bad. But he did make some mind blogging calls. That being said, he was fairly consistent both ways so I can't complain too much about him. The linesman, however, i thought were pretty terrible. Aren't we told time and time again that the linesman are supposed to keep the flag down for offsides calls unless it's plain and obvious to them? He made so many offsides calls that were super close and based on replays, I remember at least one where Heber was clearly onsides but was flagged as off. He was about to be clear in on goal too.

it looks nice when it works.. but i never understood the reason for it other than flare. it doesn't create any special spin, curl, etc on the ball that you couldn't do with your left foot. Personally, i think it takes more effort and technique to pull off than simply using his left foot. luckily it worked out, but if it had dribbled out of bounds we'd have all been pissed.

he also went down way too easily.. which he always does.. but in a playoff match where ref wasn't calling much, he needed to read the game and know that his flops weren't gonna fly
I mean we've seen Taty's rabonas enough at this point to know that he can use them effectively. I don't think I've ever seen him use his left foot so maybe it's just the option he is able to execute better.

Personally I find them harder to defend against if executed well. It's relatively easier to read where a "regular" pass / cross is going. The element of surprise could mean it's less likely to get cut out, or that the receiver has a bit more space.

Re: flopping - yep.

Re: not scoring on (I believe) three 1v1s, two of which were headers - perhaps lost in the horror over those two defensive errors but also huge factors in this disappointment.

I'm also curious about all the talk about Dome being outcoached - was it just not subbing Parks and Mata? OTOH I thought the switch to 4-4-2 diamond was the right move and along with the Héber sub, it turned the game. As poor as Parks was - it's not clear that a rusty Sands or Ofori or Rocha would have been better. As bad as Mata's challenge was, I thought overall he broke up a lot of plays and gave us a lot of energy pushing forward. I think it's harsh and shows a lot of hindsight bias to blame Dome for this one.

I mean we've seen Taty's rabonas enough at this point to know that he can use them effectively. I don't think I've ever seen him use his left foot so maybe it's just the option he is able to execute better.

Personally I find them harder to defend against if executed well. It's relatively easier to read where a "regular" pass / cross is going. The element of surprise could mean it's less likely to get cut out, or that the receiver has a bit more space.

Re: not scoring on (I believe) three 1v1s, two of which were headers - perhaps lost in the horror over those two defensive errors but also huge factors in this disappointment.

I'm also curious about all the talk about Dome being outcoached - was it just not subbing Parks and Mata? OTOH I thought the switch to 4-4-2 diamond was the right move and along with the Héber sub, it turned the game. As poor as Parks was - it's not clear that a rusty Sands or Ofori or Rocha would have been better. As bad as Mata's challenge was, I thought overall he broke up a lot of plays and gave us a lot of energy pushing forward. I think it's harsh and shows a lot of hindsight bias to blame Dome for this one.

Mata was inconsistent all game and gave the ball away a lot. passes that should have been simple were given away easily. he even threw the ball directly to a TFC player once! the few flourishes going forward and some defensive battles didn't erase those for me. but I may be a bit harsh.

as for dome, i think the main reason is he didn't use his subs enough. we had some tired guys because some were coming back from injury and others were simply on a 2.5 week break with minimal game time. Isi was tired toward the end and we could have used some new legs up front with GMS. While Sands was probably pretty rusty as well, I think his defensive mindset would have given us more stability in the back on a night where Chanot and Callens didn't seem to be top of their game.

But yea... it's a lot of what ifs. We had all our players back, but many were not match fit. 2.5 week off with half the team on international duty. that doesn't help either. a lot of things factored into last night's loss and we can pick out the obvious mistakes, but in truth, it was a combination of many things.

I think Dome was prepping for extra time, as were most of the players on both sides of the ball after the 80th minute. Dome and NYCFC's style unfortunately took 50-60 minutes to finally show through. Definitely a horrible way to start the game, but luckily it was still 0-0 at the half. Take out the boneheaded defensive errors of the second half and I think we played well enough to get something out of this. I'm not angry with Dome's lack of subs, as I feel he was getting ready to bring a middie on early ET and then depending how ET rolled out, either bring on an attacking player or defensive one.

Obviously we will never know how ET would've played out due to the lack of brain function for a few seconds from Mata.

We played okay, Toronto played okay, it was a battle between two teams that were both meh on the day. Only difference was we made two incredibly dumbass mistakes and Toronto was able to hold onto the game.

Footy isn't fair, and it never will be. I'm disappointed, and I know in a few months we'll be revving up for next year. Right now though, this hurts. I'm hoping that a devastating loss like this builds some character into this team, and they come back both stronger and angry. They owe us a deep playoff run.

Well well well, where to begin.

This team continues to shit the bed in big moments. Unreal.

Ok first on Dome: why the fuck didn't Heber start? Dome said he was 100% the other day. Why?????????

Also, Taty is brutal. He is not a striker. Cant count how many times this season when he plays up top he just lacks so much self awareness he is always off sides and by A LOT. The kid thinks he will be playing in Europe soon. Hahahaha, dude he is not good. Been saying it for a while. Europe my ass.

The crucial mistakes obviously from Chanot to give Toronto more life was inexcusable and then Mata does that. Wow.

Ring also had a piss poor game so did Parks. I mean the whole team picked a great time to be awful, except for Sean John. Ok I can live with it I guess but here is the killer...

When TF are we getting our stadium. Seriously. If no stadium news is announced by the end of this year, it's going to be tough heading into 2020. This is getting recockilous.

this reminds me... the ref, on the whole wasn't too bad. But he did make some mind blogging calls. That being said, he was fairly consistent both ways so I can't complain too much about him. The linesman, however, i thought were pretty terrible. Aren't we told time and time again that the linesman are supposed to keep the flag down for offsides calls unless it's plain and obvious to them? He made so many offsides calls that were super close and based on replays, I remember at least one where Heber was clearly onsides but was flagged as off. He was about to be clear in on goal too.

The Mitrita yellow and the Héber offsides were pretty bad. I was confident they were poor calls during the run of play from my seat on both...
Anyway
Dome kind of summed it up before the game a number of times saying one mistake from players, officials or the coach can kill your playoffs inca one and done scenario.
I think NYCFC hit the trifecta and then some.
If it wasn’t for Sean this game would have and probably should have been much worst.
I thought the tide turned after Isi’s goal but in the end the second BIG mistake was the decider. It’s a horrible way to lose.
Toronto didn’t make any big mistakes and played better for most of the game.
In reality this team kind of overachieved.
Without all those games NYCFC played a man up first place probably would not have been a possibility. The Atlanta game put some stars in my eye but I still thought that there were examples of a lack of discipline / smart defensive challenges and killer instinct.
It was a fun ride this season but as this team is currently put together I don’t see an MLS cup in the hands of NYCFC.

Regarding Citi field, I’ll take the Bronx and playing at YS over that joint. Weird how I missed YS.

Thanks ya’ll for sharing.
Peace
VJ

have to remember, Mata is still young. professional or not, it's a big occasion and some of that immaturity and lack of experience got to him I guess.
I agree with all you stated and also agree to give Matarita a break, it was not our home, unfamiliar field and why did the NYFCbig wigs agreed to such harebrained idea to play a playoff on unfamiliar turf? Blame it on them too!!!

Anyone have a screenshot/video of the Heber offside? From my shitty view in 110 it was hard to see anything.

I’m really disgusted with this facet, his tactics were amateurish trash from selection of the bench, to unused subs, to implementation. He literally made one change all match, subbing Heber, but otherwise no formation shifts, no protecting tired players, nothing.....

I’ll be happy to see him go - I want a manager that wants to be here, not somebody looking down the road to what’s next.

Everyone wants to come to see, live and sleep in New York , because Once upon a time the it was greatest city in the planet. . .however that was 20 plus years ago. Now NYC is dirty, homeless doing their personal business on the sidewalk , the stench of urine, poop from both two legged and four legged animals , and add that to the stinky smell of marijuana . . add that to that Mayor DaBlasio who blesses all that !!
No wonder all foreigners want to Escape from NYC , ASAP. Oops I forgot to mention the rats that welcome all tourist. . .

Reactions: moogoo
Everyone wants to come to see, live and sleep in New York , because Once upon a time the it was greatest city in the planet. . .however that was 20 plus years ago. Now NYC is dirty, homeless doing their personal business on the sidewalk , the stench of urine, poop from both two legged and four legged animals , and add that to the stinky smell of marijuana . . add that to that Mayor DaBlasio who blesses all that !!
No wonder all foreigners want to Escape from NYC , ASAP

deBLOWsio screwed this city with his make nice policies. all your points and more.. crime is on the rise and he's looking to redistribute violent criminals from rikers into new prisons in the 5 boroughs with plans to reduce incarceration. no.. just no. sure the system ain't perfect.. but i don't want to read about people getting stabbed or robbed at gunpoint a block from my apartment on a weekly basis.

Its been a hell of a season guys, sad it ended so soon. Most has already been said here so i dont want to go repeating it but just one point: I thought the Chanot error was worse than the Mata one. The only difference being Chanots error we still had time to recover from it and Matas pretty much knocked us out of the game and killed us. End result of both boneheaded plays 1 goal.

Aside from that it was great seeing Schwallacus Schwallacus Christopher Jee Christopher Jee adam adam Midas Mulligan Midas Mulligan Shwafta Shwafta D dkalev2 D Dnigly13 DeronJTKE DeronJTKE (sorry for anyone ive missed) and im looking forward to seeing you all again next season!!

The for the most part I agree with others that the ref was consistent but the way he chose to ref the game hurt us. He let TFC foul to stop every breakaway we had in the first half without giving out any cards to discourage it. He was letting our guys do the same but TFC is a super slow team not having to try to play with us on the break really crushed a number of chances in the first half.

I don't have any complaints with Dome's tactics but his subs or lack there of were horrible. Mata and ITS were gassed and should have been off well before the penalty but at the very least Mata should have been off for GMS the moment TFC converted the pen. He was completely gassed and mentally in shambles. We had 3-4 min the chase a goal, get him off the field.

I think Dome was prepping for extra time, as were most of the players on both sides of the ball after the 80th minute. Dome and NYCFC's style unfortunately took 50-60 minutes to finally show through. Definitely a horrible way to start the game, but luckily it was still 0-0 at the half. Take out the boneheaded defensive errors of the second half and I think we played well enough to get something out of this. I'm not angry with Dome's lack of subs, as I feel he was getting ready to bring a middie on early ET and then depending how ET rolled out, either bring on an attacking player or defensive one.

Obviously we will never know how ET would've played out due to the lack of brain function for a few seconds from Mata.

We played okay, Toronto played okay, it was a battle between two teams that were both meh on the day. Only difference was we made two incredibly dumbass mistakes and Toronto was able to hold onto the game.

Footy isn't fair, and it never will be. I'm disappointed, and I know in a few months we'll be revving up for next year. Right now though, this hurts. I'm hoping that a devastating loss like this builds some character into this team, and they come back both stronger and angry. They owe us a deep playoff run.