Tv Improvementsfor 2016

EganSoccerWords

Registered
Elite Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Aug 9, 2015
What did you guys think of our YES Network coverage?

I was hoping especially with our Yankees connection that the team would be covered in a little more on YES.

My hopes for the future:

1) A weekly show similar to what the Jets have at 1130 on Sundays on cbs. Weekly coach interview, player profile, highlights from the last week, pr puff piece etc.

2) an actual studio pregame show. The only one they did was for the opener iirc.

3) fox sports go needs to up its streaming game.

I read a fortune article that said that MLS had good enough reception on espn that games on that network will start having pre game shows. Not sure about stuff on the YES network but I'm reasonably sure that a 30 minute pregame will have better rating than whatever else they have on.

No games on the peripheral stations like Unimas. No green screen, no reason not to provide travel for the game callers except for exceptional circumstances. Better pre and post game coverage. Less profanity by supporters and therefore louder television mic for home broadcasts to promote our impressive fanbase support to those who are watching at home.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Studio pre/post game coverage would be huge. I think they have good personnel working the games, but they need to up the production value so they don't make me feel like i'm just watching filler programming. Treat it like a major league event!
Also I want a secondary tv partner to carry YES conflict games. YES2 or whatever the games get bumped to is far too glitchy and complicated for casual fans. I would love to see these games on one of the OTA networks. Create a weekly studio show as well and air it on YES and our secondary network!

Reactions: JayH
actually bring the commentators to the away matches, pregame show, postgame show, maybe have joe tolleson be a little more tentative as to what's going on on the field, i know it was the first year but there were a lot of serious rookie broadcasting errors....I especially hated when the yankees red sox game went to extras and we could only watch the game on fox sports go until the baseball game was finished. They should create a YES2.

Really sick of watching the games in Spanish on Fridays....No puedo
Were you not able to figure out the SAP? To be honest, the English commentators were pretty bad that I may have preferred it in Spanish, but the SAP thing really does work. Do you have cable or OTA?

What did you guys think of our YES Network coverage?

I was hoping especially with our Yankees connection that the team would be covered in a little more on YES.

My hopes for the future:

1) A weekly show similar to what the Jets have at 1130 on Sundays on cbs. Weekly coach interview, player profile, highlights from the last week, pr puff piece etc.

2) an actual studio pregame show. The only one they did was for the opener iirc.

3) fox sports go needs to up its streaming game.

You do realize that this is likely a courtesy from YES Network or, even more likely, something NYCFC purchased airtime. I am certain nobody is making any money on these broadcasts, so to expect a pre-game studio show (!) is unrealistic.

Reactions: Gene and mgarbowski
Were you not able to figure out the SAP? To be honest, the English commentators were pretty bad that I may have preferred it in Spanish, but the SAP thing really does work. Do you have cable or OTA?
On FIOS I could never get the SAP to work, and I'm not a technophobe. I swear I went through every menu option there was. Not sure if live vs. DVR has an impact. Not sure I ever watched a Friday night game live.

Reactions: Ulrich
On FIOS I could never get the SAP to work, and I'm not a technophobe. I swear I went through every menu option there was. Not sure if live vs. DVR has an impact. Not sure I ever watched a Friday night game live.
Dude I have the same problem.

I've gotten into the bloody SAP menu and then clicked it over and it still doesn't work.

You do realize that this is likely a courtesy from YES Network or, even more likely, something NYCFC purchased airtime. I am certain nobody is making any money on these broadcasts, so to expect a pre-game studio show (!) is unrealistic.
So make it the Ethiad Airlines presents the Ethiad Airlines Pregame Show Brought to by Ethiad Airlines.

Reasonable Things I Would Like to See:
- Better English announcers for Viernes de Futbol because the current English announcers are completely terrible. I don't want an English version of a Spanish announcer calling a game. I want as much Arlo White as I can get in my life.
- Better planning on the part of YES in cases of Yankees/NYCFC matches where there is a rainout, delay, etc. If NYCFC is scheduled to be on the air, it should be on the air.

Somewhat Reasonable Things I would Like to See:
- NYCFC announce team traveling to games. Yes, this can be difficult for the likes of Ian Joy that calls Sunday matches for FOX too but I don't think its completely out of the question that for at least regional games NYCFC can fly out a team for coverage. But I'd prefer quality in the NY studio if it comes to that.
- More CityTV as in weekly segments about the team, players, etc., etc. etc. The content we want. Though, I feel this would be more online rather than on TV, I want TV length feature segments.
- Pregame show for NYCFC matches. I don't think that the 5-8 minutes before game does the team justice. Especially during non-Yankee season, what else are you going to put on before an NYCFC game?

On Time Warner, the SAP thing on UDN worked for me on some games (it worked for the first NYCFC game shown by that channel); but it eventually stopped working as the season went on.

Dude I have the same problem.

I've gotten into the bloody SAP menu and then clicked it over and it still doesn't work.
On DIRECTV box, the key was actually selecting "Spanish" as the language. English is the default, so you had to select Spanish to get the alternative feed. The only thing worse than an announcer who does the "Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooool" thing in Spanish is an announcer that forces it in English.

On Unimas - sometimes you could get English by clicking "Spanish", sometimes by clicking "French". Often nothing would work. It was very hit or miss.

On Yes - I thought the broadcasts were pretty good, given it was the first year. Yes, they do need to get the announcers to away games. I remember one in Philly when they weren't there, and that seemed ridiculous. The suggestions for a proper pre-game show and weekly wrap up are spot on and make sense for a second year. Lots of stories go on around the club and deserve attention. Finally, I am sure the club makes some money off the Yes contract - probably not a lot - but, it's programming that draws a decent audience, and Yes needs more of that.

I'd like to see better camera angles for home games.

I'm watching the Pinstripe Bowl on WABC and the main camera is somewhere up in the 400 level past the right field foul pole; the angle is perfect.

Now of course we all know the football field is laid out differently than the soccer pitch, but if they can get a perfect camera angle from that side of the stadium, they should be able to get the perfect angle from the left field side of the building too.

Reactions: sbrylski
I'm surprised the announcers don't travel to all of the games. You would think NYCFC could kick in a couple hundred bucks per away game and get room for the announcers at the team hotel or in the area. They could fly on the team plane.

Reactions: Ferdinand Cesarano
I'm surprised the announcers don't travel to all of the games. You would think NYCFC could kick in a couple hundred bucks per away game and get room for the announcers at the team hotel or in the area. They could fly on the team plane.
MLS actually limits the number of charter flights a team can use in a season so there is no team plane.