Tv Improvementsfor 2016

Thinking of switching to FIOS. Anyone had issues getting the relevant channels (YES/Unimas/FS1/ESPN/anything else I'm forgetting)?

Thinking of switching to FIOS. Anyone had issues getting the relevant channels (YES/Unimas/FS1/ESPN/anything else I'm forgetting)?
I never had a problem getting the channels, but never could get the SAP function to work on the Unimas matches.

Reactions: joe
While it appears you're correct that the camera could be higher, note that in the Pinstripe Bowl the camera wasn't on the 50 yard line, rather it was around the 20 yard line. You can tell at about the 40 second mark in this video:

So it might be a case of picking between a higher camera angle, but off center, or a centered by low camera angle. I agree the latter is probably best for soccer.

This is an interesting find. It actually looks like they had a camera up high at each 20 depending upon which end of the field the play was happening. Of course, football is a little different than soccer, with the broadcasts preferring to look right down the line of scrimmage as much as possible.

Still, the general point holds. If they can set cameras up in the 3rd or 4th level for the Pinstripe Bowl, then they can do it for our broadcasts.

It's worth noting that there are dedicated camera stations at different points in Yankee Stadium. One of them is at the front of Section 225, and this appears to be the one they used for our broadcasts last year. It is close to midfield, but slightly closer to the "third base line" end of the pitch. As people have noted, it provides way too shallow an angle for soccer. It's not clear to me where on the upper levels the camera stations used in the bowl game are located, and if they are temporary or permanent, but either way, we need something like that.

I have Optimum, and sometimes the SAP worked, and sometimes it didn't.

And sometimes the "Francais" button is what made the English come on. It was just one big clusterfuck for sure.

Edit:
SAP always worked for me, but was found on the French channel.

Beat me to it.

My wife got me the Optimum sports package for xmas, so I can now watch Serie A / BBVA / Bundesliga / Scottish Prem / English cup games / all of the most ridiculous games you could think of, but I still have issues watching the team next door on Friday nights.

Last edited:
Reactions: joe
I have optimum and I haven't had problems with SAP, however the SAP streams aren't always where they should be. Sometimes english broadcasts will be heard under 'french'. Just cycle through them all.

I have Time Warner Cable and the SAP sometimes decides to work for the Friday night games and other times decides not to.

Additionally, its always hilarious when I turn the SAP on to watch the game and forget to turn it off, then my roommate tries to watch TV the next day and can't figure out why everything is in Spanish.

For the Unimas announcers to announce in the style of America/British announcers because that's the audience that's watching in English on Unimas. Stop sounding like the crazy Spanish announcers with the use of the English language. This drives me fucking nuts.

One thing DirecTV gets right is the SAP for Unimas. I don't have to do anything. DirecTV knows I don't speak Spanish (presumably because I didn't buy the Spanish package) and automatically switches for me. I would have to do something if I wanted to listen in Spanish. Which I've considered doing because the Unimas English language announcers are that bad, for the reasons stated by LionNYC LionNYC.

ETA: On the other hand, I don't get to watch NYCFC games on the Fox Stream even though DirectTV has a deal with Fox for all their other content.

I have Time Warner as well. You get to the SAP settings by hitting the "Settings" button on the remote, the crescent-shaped button which sits on the left side of the circular array of buttons that surround the "Select" button.

I cannot remember the exact wording of what you see when you press that button; and I am not home right now to look at my television screen. But I believe that SAP appears as one of the choices listed on the left side of the screen. I will check later on when I get home.

Just following up to say that the "Settings" button brings up a menu that defaults to "Quick Settings". Amongst those Quick Settings is "Audio/SAP". Select that, then "Digital", then "Secondary Language".

That takes care of the setting. But, as I mentioned earlier, whether the station actually elects to put English on that audio channel is another issue entirely.

One thing DirecTV gets right is the SAP for Unimas. I don't have to do anything. DirecTV knows I don't speak Spanish (presumably because I didn't buy the Spanish package) and automatically switches for me. I would have to do something if I wanted to listen in Spanish. Which I've considered doing because the Unimas English language announcers are that bad, for the reasons stated by LionNYC LionNYC.

ETA: On the other hand, I don't get to watch NYCFC games on the Fox Stream even though DirectTV has a deal with Fox for all their other content.
My Directv does not do that. I need to switch the SAP selection to, ironically, Spanish, to get the English.

Is there any way in Manhattan to subscribe to Fios, Time Warner Cable and Direct TV and get a switch or something so we can get it in English on the relevant evening? It may be easier to improve my Spanish, hack into mgarbowski's system (or persuade him for an invitation for the away matches), of just go to all the away games.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I tired every which way with Optimum last season and it didn't work. Though the cable box sap and the TV. And on multiple TVs throughout the house.

I wound up steaming it on my computer with fox sports go (where English worked) and then shooting it over to my TV through AirPlay. Hella annoying, but it worked.

Got FIOS this season. Hope that works better. But hope that workaround can help some of you.

I rewatched the highlights of our Friday matches just to prepare myself for the pitiful English announcers on Unimas. I don't want Unimas. I want Unimenos.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
I tired every which way with Optimum last season and it didn't work. Though the cable box sap and the TV. And on multiple TVs throughout the house.

I wound up steaming it on my computer with fox sports go (where English worked) and then shooting it over to my TV through AirPlay. Hella annoying, but it worked.

Got FIOS this season. Hope that works better. But hope that workaround can help some of you.
Never worked last year with Time Warner. Once before going to a commercial at halftime, the English announcers popped in for a few words as the ultimate tease, so I know there actually were announcers, but that was all I got.

Reactions: adam
Never worked last year with Time Warner. Once before going to a commercial at halftime, the English announcers popped in for a few words as the ultimate tease, so I know there actually were announcers, but that was all I got.

As a TW subscriber you should have access to Fox Sports Go. Just port it to your TV and there you go.