U.S. Open Cup 2018

Earlier today, the Portland Timbers officially informed the U.S. Open Cup Commissioner it has withdrawn its protest in relation to the number of foreign players fielded by Los Angeles Football Club during Wednesday night’s Quarterfinal match at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles, Calif.​

Here is a statement from U.S. Soccer on the situation:​

“After a thorough review of the Portland Timbers’ official protest, it has been determined that the inclusion of additional foreign players was a result of a good faith misunderstanding among U.S. Soccer, Major League Soccer and Los Angeles Football Club. Each organization involved has agreed to determine an improved process to ensure this will not happen again. In recognition of this fact, the Timbers have gracefully withdrawn their protest.”​

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/07/21/01/54/20180720-news-us-soccer-statement

Reactions: NYCFC_JD and adam
Earlier today, the Portland Timbers officially informed the U.S. Open Cup Commissioner it has withdrawn its protest in relation to the number of foreign players fielded by Los Angeles Football Club during Wednesday night’s Quarterfinal match at Banc of California Stadium in Los Angeles, Calif.​

“After a thorough review of the Portland Timbers’ official protest, it has been determined that the inclusion of additional foreign players was a result of a good faith misunderstanding among U.S. Soccer, Major League Soccer and Los Angeles Football Club. Each organization involved has agreed to determine an improved process to ensure this will not happen again. In recognition of this fact, the Timbers have gracefully withdrawn their protest.”​

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/07/21/01/54/20180720-news-us-soccer-statement

Sort of what we all figured would happen. I wonder how much GAM Portland got for that one.

This is such a joke. Rules are fcking rules. It’s so transparently obvious USSoccer wants LAFC playing in the CCL against the minnows & Mexican teams as a headliner and champion for MLS. I don’t blame them because they’ll represent well. HOWEVER, LAFC cheated, whether intentionally (which I doubt) or unknowingly (which is likely), and they are tainted and shouldn’t go forward.

I’m surprised USSoccer hasn’t just awarded the other spot to Atlanta to showcase 70k fans against Club America and Chivas.... we all know they are terrified of the optics of having the matches at Yankee Stadium even though NYCFC is currently in the driver’s seat for last year’s spot up for grabs.

I really hope Houston smacks LAFC down next Cup match with a win.

im late but lol i knew this would happen. they were not going to kick out an MLS team, one the brings eyeballs for that matter out of the cup not matter what rule they broke. questions will be what happens going forward when something similar happens, you let it go? or will many teams play their canadian homegrowns and then will they kick all of them out.

They either need to appoint one person to understand the rules in detail and answer questions, or instead require the teams to know the rules and have a strict zero tolerance policy if they get anything wrong. Sitting in the middle - where they are now - is just a recipe for trouble.

so Houston are up 2 shots on goal, 2 goals. LAFC outplaying them currently... Will LAFC continue this and win? I hope so

Rigged, rigged fuckin' crap, man.
ETA-
I've been sitting here like "okay they added so much extra time, they're giving enough time for LAFC to come back." and then the free kick was awarded and I knew. I just knew.

Not rigged. Dookie management and execution.
What if it's both?
giphy.gif

Houston - LAFC has been an entertaining second half. LAFC down 3-1 - ties almost immediately after Houston's third. Then they get a goal at the death to tie it up.

The best thing is that the reaction from LAFC when scoring the last goal was a strange combination of elation and dejection at having to run around in Houston heat for another 30 minutes.

But it isn’t. Houston got every advantage the whole match.

Is that spooky?
It's all part of the grand scheme plan by MLS, stuffing that money... give all the calls to Houston, but make sure LAFC can tie it up at the end for extra fun!
(you do know I'm just joking with the whole "rigged" thing, and I don't actually believe it's rigged, right...?)

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It's all part of the grand scheme plan by MLS, stuffing that money... give all the calls to Houston, but make sure LAFC can tie it up at the end for extra fun!
(you do know I'm just joking with the whole "rigged" thing, and I don't actually believe it's rigged, right...?)
Sometimes I’m not really just responding to you even if I reply to your post.