Update On My Call With Nycfc Regarding The Jersey And Team Identity

That is true.

Not a bad spot. but seems big enough to build stadium and residences.

Just my 2 cents. I think the community would be more favorable to a stadium and/or luxury residences than homeless shelters.

Villareal's Stadium

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/32081179.jpg

http://www.zerozero.pt/img/estadios/992/8992_ori_el_madrigal.jpg

http://www.bdfutbol.com/i/c/38.jpg

Or Ipurua Stadium :D where Eibar play.

http://fortunedotcom.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/619795241_b4f84d0a02_b.jpg?w=840
El Madrigal or Villarreals stadium is a death trap. The away stand in that second tier is at like a 90 degree angle, the amount of people that went from the top all the way to the bottom is untrue. Plus, the ground is like in a village!

Well that is true it is a small stadium.

But when I went to the world cup to Sao Paulo Corinthians Arena, the second tier was the same angle as madrigal, even steeper, and incomplete. I was at the edge, yet the game was enjoyable. (Uruguay vs England).

They can build on above water, make a pier and then have the lot. Its possible with the money they have.. just a suggestion.

Plus being at Madrigal was great! I remember being there when Riquelme and Pellegrini took them to Champions League.

Lets hope we get a SSS in the city soon.

(Columbia University Stadium is not bad location either)

(Columbia University Stadium is not bad location either)

I've seen folks bring up the Columbia University stadium idea before. I don't get it, I can't find any articles discussing it and would appreciate any info. Is this just supposition on the part of fans or has there been some official discussion? And what is being considered? That CFG would build a new stadium up at Bakers Field and share it with Columbia? If so, would Columbia play both soccer and football there? There's only so much room so I think it would have to be dual use. Or would CFG buy the land from Columbia? If so, where do people think Columbia would play its games?
Thanks in advance.

I suspect CFG would want to build a stadium somewhere where they actually owned the land. They're getting extorted enough in Manchester, where they also don't.

As for building on the river, I'm sure they'd love to do that. However, can you actually imagine a scenario where the municipal authorities agree to such a scheme?

I suspect CFG would want to build a stadium somewhere where they actually owned the land. They're getting extorted enough in Manchester, where they also don't.

As for building on the river, I'm sure they'd love to do that. However, can you actually imagine a scenario where the municipal authorities agree to such a scheme?
the city is looking to sell pier 40 a 14 acre pier here in Manhattan where lots of sports are played, mostly cause they chase they don't wants to use city funds to fix it. If the current deal fall through again I can see CFG and the Yankees coming together to buy it rehab it. It really could be the ideal place for a 30,000 seat stadium in the city it you want a place downtown (which it would be in the middle of the city) with the WTC looking upon it and some of the most popular neighborhoods in NYC.

edit: For non New Yorkers who want to look it up its Pier 40 Hudson River Park.

Last edited:
the city is looking to sell pier 40 a 14 acre pier here in Manhattan where lots of sports are played, mostly cause they chase they don't wants to use city funds to fix it. If the current deal fall through again I can see CFG and the Yankees coming together to buy it rehab it. It really could be the ideal place for a 30,000 seat stadium in the city it you want a place downtown (which it would be in the middle of the city) with the WTC looking upon it and some of the most popular neighborhoods in NYC.

I'm aware of this. That's a little bit different from CFG actually building their own 40-acre pier where there was previously only river, though, which is what I thought was being implied above.

wouldnt be a bad spot. but they wanna put homeless shelters there. Kinda a bad image if we displace that....
Did I read the article correctly? No one would be displaced, they're just speculating if property values would go down if it was located near a homeless shelter (which has yet to be built).
There’s one potential pitfall: The privately owned parcel is located directly across the street from a planned residence that includes a homeless shelter.

The agent marketing the site shrugged off any dip in the value due to its proximity to a homeless shelter.

building on water isnt easy and i dont think theyre gonna go this route

Yea of course. I just find it funny how they want act like our opinion matters yet there's nothing that can actually be done.

What's done is done. What's important is that they're willing to take the time to listen to a fan's concerns about a number of issues and explain why the club made the decision they did. We as fans can explain why we think the club made a bad decision in hopes that the club makes (in our eyes) better decisions for future. I don't know that you can get more interactive than that, unless everything is put to a fan vote.

Jets tried it and couldn't do it even with Bloomberg in office, never happening.
that's cause of the MSG and Comcast got it blocked. This time they are fighting to get a new MSG, they won't be able to fight someone else trying to build a stadium in Manhattan.

A stadium on pier 40 would be amazing. It would seriously be a world class stadium just because of the location. It's probably just a pipe dream though. :rolleyes:

I've seen folks bring up the Columbia University stadium idea before. I don't get it, I can't find any articles discussing it and would appreciate any info. Is this just supposition on the part of fans or has there been some official discussion? And what is being considered? That CFG would build a new stadium up at Bakers Field and share it with Columbia? If so, would Columbia play both soccer and football there? There's only so much room so I think it would have to be dual use. Or would CFG buy the land from Columbia? If so, where do people think Columbia would play its games?
Thanks in advance.

That location would not be able to support gameday traffic and is pretty hard to get top via public transportation.

Reactions: Section1Guy

I don't have high hopes for this but it's on the top of my list for a few reasons. The location itself would draw so much attention and create appreciable buzz. Sellouts would not be an issue. For attendees and TV viewers alike, the iconic imagery from any angle would be memorable (1WTC, Midtown, NJ). This would also be a MAJOR advertising platform for the sponsors. It's in the heart of one of the most expensive parts of the city (= valuable eyeballs). But most of all it would be fun to have this in mid/lower Manhattan.

There's a billion hurdles and miles of red tape but these guys have the deep pockets to make something this crazy happen. Here's to hoping...

I don't have high hopes for this but it's on the top of my list for a few reasons. The location itself would draw so much attention and create appreciable buzz. Sellouts would not be an issue. For attendees and TV viewers alike, the iconic imagery from any angle would be memorable (1WTC, Midtown, NJ). This would also be a MAJOR advertising platform for the sponsors. It's in the heart of one of the most expensive parts of the city (= valuable eyeballs). But most of all it would be fun to have this in mid/lower Manhattan.

There's a billion hurdles and miles of red tape but these guys have the deep pockets to make something this crazy happen. Here's to hoping...
Yeah I think if they pulled it off everyone would be like, "What jersey problem?"