Update On My Call With Nycfc Regarding The Jersey And Team Identity

Yeah I think if they pulled it off everyone would be like, "What jersey problem?"

The cost of building a stadium there would be absurd, even for royals with hundreds of billions. The entire structure would have to be scrapped and a much bigger and structurally significant one would have to be built. Hard to imagine it would get environmental approval and harder to imagine getting in and out of the stadium for weeknight games.

And also on the fringes of two of Manhattan's wealthiest neighborhoods, that you would need to walk through to get to the subway.

Hard to imagine a less likely patch of open space on the island of Manhattan, other than maybe the sheep meadow at central Park.

The cost of building a stadium there would be absurd, even for royals with hundreds of billions. The entire structure would have to be scrapped and a much bigger and structurally significant one would have to be built. Hard to imagine it would get environmental approval and harder to imagine getting in and out of the stadium for weeknight games.

And also on the fringes of two of Manhattan's wealthiest neighborhoods, that you would need to walk through to get to the subway.

Hard to imagine a less likely patch of open space on the island of Manhattan, other than maybe the sheep meadow at central Park.
it would be somewhere between $600-$900 million at the least in a city where it cost $1 billion to build any stadium.

Another thing regarding Pier 40, We could probably get more causal fans by having it in an iconic central location. We could get the tourist who knows nothing about football/soccer to go to a game just by having a central stadium.

There's a load of stumbling blocks, but my god it'd be on of the best stadiums in terms of iconic ness and location.

Thanks for the post. I'm now excited for the 2nd jersey unveiling!

Last edited:
Any ETA on the 2nd jerseys yet? Since I have an awesome MCFC jersey personalized with my name, I may wait for the 2nd jersey and the track jacket wish list.

Any ETA on the 2nd jerseys yet? Since I have an awesome MCFC jersey personalized with my name, I may wait for the 2nd jersey and the track jacket wish list.
jersey week i think is the week before the start of the season starts.

Reactions: JCizzle
Another thing regarding Pier 40, We could probably get more causal fans by having it in an iconic central location. We could get the tourist who knows nothing about football/soccer to go to a game just by having a central stadium.

There's a load of stumbling blocks, but my god it'd be on of the best stadiums in terms of iconic ness and location.
plus that is so close to the financial district you have a lot of companies' who would pay out there backsides to get there names on that building

Reactions: Across the Pond
There is nothing iconic about this location, it's very out of the way (which is why it is being used for soccer fields), not really all that close to the financial district (where very few big financial firms still have their HQ anyway) and really has none of the characteristics of a good place to put a stadium.

The city isn't going to pony up to destroy parkland, so how could any entity justify spending up to a billion dollars on a soccer specific stadium with only 20 or so guaranteed dates?

for reference, last years jersey week took place from March 3rd-6th

Reactions: JCizzle
There is nothing iconic about this location, it's very out of the way (which is why it is being used for soccer fields), not really all that close to the financial district (where very few big financial firms still have their HQ anyway) and really has none of the characteristics of a good place to put a stadium.

The city isn't going to pony up to destroy parkland, so how could any entity justify spending up to a billion dollars on a soccer specific stadium with only 20 or so guaranteed dates?
the reason why we are discussing the slight possibly is because the pier is in bad shape and the city has been trying to sell it off for a while. The deal right now wants to turn it into housing and business but keep falling through. We know that the city does not want to pay to fix the pier it is VERY old. Right now the deal that is looking very unlikely to go through is worth $100 million. If CFG and the Yankees want to come together out out bid them they can. It just do they want to. Also any deal made has to be privately financed.

Reactions: Ahab_Flanders
These concept renderings of a Pier 40 stadium from August look so damn cool.

yVi1Tdt.jpg

4sPR5Mo.jpg

http://gothamist.com/2013/08/02/renderings_what_mls_stadium_at_pier.php#photo-3

And notice that this is both a stadium and a nicer looking park than the current Pier 40. The only problem is where do you put parking? Pier 40 has parking on the roof, but I feel like that wouldn't be a good look for an MLS stadium.

And notice that this is both a stadium and a nicer looking park than the current Pier 40. The only problem is where do you put parking? Pier 40 has parking on the roof, but I feel like that wouldn't be a good look for an MLS stadium.

You don't need parking for a stadium in Manhattan. MSG has no parking. You should be able to easily take public transit. If you have to drive, here are all the parking lots in the neighborhood: http://nyc.bestparking.com/neighborhoods/soho-parking.

You don't need parking for a stadium in Manhattan. MSG has no parking. You should be able to easily take public transit. If you have to drive, here are all the parking lots in the neighborhood: http://nyc.bestparking.com/neighborhoods/soho-parking.
MSG is essentially located in densest transit hub of in NYC and probably the entire country. LIRR, 1, 2, 3, 7, A, C, E, B, D, F, M, N, Q, R and PATH all within a half-mile walk, with Metro North, 4, 5 & 6 all a 1-mile walk away.